L-Mount Alliance Owners Thread

Not for me, I have my card and nothing regarding the warranty..

I will see what if anything I get back from Panasonic and then take it up with WEX.

Ultimately, in three years we will probably have purchased something new and shiny lol

Last edited:
Just to update on the warranty side of things (I am still waiting for confirmation).

It would appear that you had to purchase the qualifying items between 30/3/21 and 30/9/21 and sign up to Lumix Pro by 30/11/21 at the latest. If you didn't meet these requirements you do not have a 3 year warranty...

Did you get the deal with the free 50mm prime?

Yeah, S5, 20-60 and 50mm, plus another battery and L bracket. Arrives tomorrow, so will hopefully get out Sunday and give it a workout.

First impressions...

Well built, like it feels solid, handles really nicely, ergonomics are spot on for my hands, buttons are nice. Really impressed. Going to get out for sunrise tomorrow and do some seascaping and give it a workout, but from a few images snapped around the house, lovely clean files, colour reproduction seems wonderful.

Set all the buttons up and menus to how I want them, wasn't overly difficult to navigate the menus. I think I'm going to get on well with it, the proof will be in tomorrows pudding, but first impressions I'm excited.

First impressions...

Well built, like it feels solid, handles really nicely, ergonomics are spot on for my hands, buttons are nice. Really impressed. Going to get out for sunrise tomorrow and do some seascaping and give it a workout, but from a few images snapped around the house, lovely clean files, colour reproduction seems wonderful.

Set all the buttons up and menus to how I want them, wasn't overly difficult to navigate the menus. I think I'm going to get on well with it, the proof will be in tomorrows pudding, but first impressions I'm excited.
so you moved to L-mount? :-O

so you moved to L-mount? :-O
Added to my kit...for now....losing the Sony 20mm G scares me as it's phenomenal as you know, that's my only worry at the moment...time will tell once I've used the S5 in anger though...

Added to my kit...for now....losing the Sony 20mm G scares me as it's phenomenal as you know, that's my only worry at the moment...time will tell once I've used the S5 in anger though...
there is supposedly a sigma 20mm f2 coming out next week. Likely to be cheaper than Sony version too.

First impressions...

I liked the S1r immensely to be honest, still remains in my view one of the nicest feeling cameras I've picked up in a while.

there is supposedly a sigma 20mm f2 coming out next week. Likely to be cheaper than Sony version too.
I'll keep an eye out for that...although I haven't discounted the 20-60 yet tbh, I just love 20mm.

I liked the S1r immensely to be honest, still remains in my view one of the nicest feeling cameras I've picked up in a while.
This is lovely, not that much bigger than the A7R2, but the grip is a wee bit deeper, the buttons feel nicer, and with the L bracket on it's just a nice size, somewhere between mirrorless and DSLR. Will see what the files are like tomorrow and make decisions, but it's looking good.

I think the 20-60mm kit lens is a cracking lens personally. I was going to buy the 35 mm 1.8 but haven't found any issues with the kit lens
That's good to hear, and the images posted in this thread alone look great from it too...however the Sony 20mm 1.8 G is absolutely phenomenal when it comes to lenses, and I love shooting primes. The Sigma 20mm F2 Anand referred to above peaks my interest immensely.

I think the 20-60mm kit lens is a cracking lens personally. I was going to buy the 35 mm 1.8 but haven't found any issues with the kit lens
Yeah at 35mm it’s still really sharp. I also shoot street at 35mm rather than portrait so not have 1.4-1.8 at that length doesn’t bother me much.
Largely I work in video though so the 35mm will make its way to the stable at some point because apparently it’s the best AF lens for video

I'll keep an eye out for that...although I haven't discounted the 20-60 yet tbh, I just love 20mm.
It's an interesting lens for sure. Just not my type of lens. I kinda want f2.8 or faster with good coma control for shooting stars.

For me the biggest draw to l-mount is actually to the features like live composite and focus stacking which is missing on Sony :(

It's an interesting lens for sure. Just not my type of lens. I kinda want f2.8 or faster with good coma control for shooting stars.

For me the biggest draw to l-mount is actually to the features like live composite and focus stacking which is missing on Sony :(
Yeah, for me I don't need fast glass, I don't really do stars, nor portraits, so it doesn't come high on the list, although it's always nice to have. The live composite will be an interesting one for sure, and the fact it can actually shoot 96mp images in high res. mode if I felt like I needed to is interesting too.

Yeah, for me I don't need fast glass, I don't really do stars, nor portraits, so it doesn't come high on the list, although it's always nice to have. The live composite will be an interesting one for sure, and the fact it can actually shoot 96mp images in high res. mode if I felt like I needed to is interesting too.
You can get 200+MP with Sony and high Res.
The issue with any high Res mode is it's useless if anything in your scene is moving so even if you have moving trees or water etc you will have artefacts.
I find it impractical for most of my uses.

Panasonics are nice to use. I had Panasonic m43 stuff in parallel with my Sony stuff. Found them actually nicer to use than Sony too.

I tend to walk around with the 20-60mm and the 50 mm mainly.

I should add that I only have those two lenses and the 85mm lol
I got the deal with the 20-60 and free 50mm. If I decide I like the S5 enough to get rid of my Sony gear, the 85 will by my first purchase, as I shoot 85 a lot on my Sony and love it, it's a beautiful focal length for land/seascapes :)

I got the deal with the 20-60 and free 50mm. If I decide I like the S5 enough to get rid of my Sony gear, the 85 will by my first purchase, as I shoot 85 a lot on my Sony and love it, it's a beautiful focal length for land/seascapes :)
yep, 85mm is also my most used prime :)
I use the sigma 85mm f1.4 DN :D

but if you don't want/need the fast aperture there is now a nice and small sigma 90mm f2.8 DN too.
(both of course available on L-mount too)

Last edited:
yep, 85mm is also my most used prime :)
I use the sigma 85mm f1.4 DN :D

but if you don't want/need the fast aperture there is now a nice and small sigma 90mm f2.8 DN too.
(both of course available on L-mount too)
I actually use the cheap Mk2 Viltrox 85 1.8 on the Sony, for it's price point it's a great lens. AF a little slow, but shooting landscape that never bothered me. I think I'll go for the S 85 though. I'm not really a gear head or one to stick to native lenses, but switching systems it's nice to look at all the options :D

I actually use the cheap Mk2 Viltrox 85 1.8 on the Sony, for it's price point it's a great lens. AF a little slow, but shooting landscape that never bothered me. I think I'll go for the S 85 though. I'm not really a gear head or one to stick to native lenses, but switching systems it's nice to look at all the options :D
biggest bonus for L-mount is all the lenses especially primes sigma is knocking out these days. Its like there is a new one every other day.
Panasonic ones seems more designed with video folks in mind (not that its bad for photography) but for me sigma hits the spot

I posted this video a few pages back on this thread

View: https://youtu.be/5h__UXyt1DA

biggest bonus for L-mount is all the lenses especially primes sigma is knocking out these days. Its like there is a new one every other day.
Panasonic ones seems more designed with video folks in mind (not that its bad for photography) but for me sigma hits the spot

I posted this video a few pages back on this thread

View: https://youtu.be/5h__UXyt1DA
Thanks for that, that's really good to see!

Well this mornings conditions didn't disappoint, even though it was blowing a gale and raining for the most part....and what's more, the S5 and 20-60 didn't disappoint either, to the point my Sony gear is all up for sale after one trip out with the S5....

Mirrored by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Wet Groyne by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Chemical blues by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Well this mornings conditions didn't disappoint, even though it was blowing a gale and raining for the most part....and what's more, the S5 and 20-60 didn't disappoint either, to the point my Sony gear is all up for sale after one trip out with the S5....

Mirrored by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Wet Groyne by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Chemical blues by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Good luck with your new kit (y) (I am sure you could do well with almost brand ;) )
What is it about Panasonic that made it better for you than Sony?

Good luck with your new kit (y) (I am sure you could do well with almost brand ;) )
What is it about Panasonic that made it better for you than Sony?
Cheers mate.

Honestly, I bought it on a whim. I've been looking at it for a few weeks. Sony-wise, I feel the A7R4 was the logical next step from my A7R2, the R3 just not worth the outlay for what I'd gain over the R2, however I also seen 61mp as overkill as I don't print huge and don't do big crops, and it would show up the flaws in my weakest lens, the 24-240. I can work with it on the 42mp R2, just, so on top of the outlay for the R4, I'd need also to upgrade that lens, which would mean a 24-70GM and a 70-200....simply couldn't afford that much outlay. So I decided to take a punt on a new system as the R2 is 7 year old tech now. I came from Canon to Sony, so didn't want to go back that route, and I've never got on with Nikon menus on the workshops i've run when sorting them for clients. So at the price point the S5 is after studying comparisons to the R2 for weeks, and with a free 50mm, and also a £200 off voucher, I took a punt, and it works for me....just like any other system would in reality, but new tech compared to my ageing Sony.

So I just ordered the Panasonic S 70-300. Will give me a nice 2 lens set up with the 20-60 and 70-300, look forward to giving it a go when it arrives.

Going to put the 50mm for sale soon as it's not a lens I will use.

So the Lumix S 70-300 arrived today and I actually got a half decent finish from work so went for a wander up the woods next to the house just to take some snaps and test it out....crap light etc, but also just to get some more time getting used to the camera too. I have to say I am VERY impressed with this lens. Whilst I haven't extensively tested it, nor really looked at any images to check what the corners are like for sharpness, I have to say it will do me just fine. It's sharp wide open all the way from 70 to 300, something I really wasn't expecting at the long end, and just gets better the more you step down, and it renders colours just beautifully.

I heard the helicopters coming, so I ran back to an opening in the woods and luckily they flew right past me. I missed the first one and didn't have time to adjust my shutter speed for more prop blur for the second, but for the lenses first image, it'll do....

AW-159 Lynx Wildcat ZZ405 by Martin Steele, on Flickr

More wanderings getting used to the system, getting more and more impressed with it each time I pick it up. Another couple of images taken with the Lumix S 70-300, and it's a stunning piece of glass....

King Pool 2 by Martin Steele, on Flickr

King Pool by Martin Steele, on Flickr

I'm not sure if I read it in this thread or not about someone wanting a new genuine S5 battery? UK Digital have them in stock, received mine today. I've dealt with UK Digital loads and they're always top class service.

Just as an aside, does anyone have a non genuine S5 battery? I got one but it won't charge in the Lumix charger, although it will when you charge it in the body but I don't like that, wondered if anyone else had this problem?

Back