L-Mount Alliance Owners Thread

@ThePrettyDamned - thanks. It wasn’t wide open and DXO seems to limit some of it on export was was more than I was expecting. You look not so far to me when you took the upper photo.
It was a wonderful day out :) but sadly I didn't get many nice photos.

Just thought, the shots I've played with are jpegs. It's entirely possible the S5 is editing the fringing out. I'll have a look at some raw files when I've time, and see if I can get some proper nasty fringing going if I try and find those really high contrast edges.

I'm wondering if anyone has both a regular SD and an SDXC UHS-II card in a S5? If I bought new memory cards am I actually likely to notice a difference? I don’t take video but do occasionally use burst.

I’ve joined the L team for a little try.. and I’m after longer lens, so I’ve posted a wanted advert in case anyone is upgrading!

I think a longer lens is my next purchase also. What are you thinking of going for? Not too sure that the 24-105 is enough of a difference for me but does seem to produce some great results.

I think a longer lens is my next purchase also. What are you thinking of going for? Not too sure that the 24-105 is enough of a difference for me but does seem to produce some great results.
I'm thinking the Sigma 100-400.... I've got a CL. I have ordered an adapter so I can use my canon lens on it, as I've had good experience using my Canon lens on Nikon Z7 with full AF etc... so will see!

Would love an SL2 but$$$!

I’ve joined the L team for a little try.. and I’m after longer lens, so I’ve posted a wanted advert in case anyone is upgrading!

Hmm I got a Viltrox Pro EF to L adapter which arrived today from Amazon.. but just throws up error messages on my Leica CL? Tried with a 70-300 and a 50 1.4 - anyone any ideas?

Is there a significant advantage with the adapter other than it enables the use of a different mount? You already had a 70-300?
No sorry, the only L lens I’ve got is the 18-56; the other is all Canon( 70-300 is mark 3) and it works great on my Nikon Z7 with adapter but this Viltrox thing is useless on the CL. Very disappointing

Attempting to trade outside classifieds and via PM
I just sent you a PM.

Last edited:
I continue to get some chromatic abberation with the kit 20-60 with my S5 and more recently noticing quite some barrelling, especially at 20mm. Now the 20-60 is a good lens but I'm thinking of trading up to a better general walk around lens, such as either a 24-70 2.8 (either the Sima or Panasonic) or a 24-105. Wondering if anyone has any experience of using both (a) 24-70 and the 24-105 and interested in your thoughts - as always there is balance between constant aperture 2.8 and 4 and the oft handy extra length. You can only have one, 20-60, 24-60 or 24-105?

I continue to get some chromatic abberation with the kit 20-60 with my S5 and more recently noticing quite some barrelling, especially at 20mm. Now the 20-60 is a good lens but I'm thinking of trading up to a better general walk around lens, such as either a 24-70 2.8 (either the Sima or Panasonic) or a 24-105. Wondering if anyone has any experience of using both (a) 24-70 and the 24-105 and interested in your thoughts - as always there is balance between constant aperture 2.8 and 4 and the oft handy extra length. You can only have one, 20-60, 24-60 or 24-105?
I have the 24-105 and I’m pretty happy with it. The OIS is an excellent addition and works well in sync mode with the IBIS. It‘s also got great range and a semi macro capability. At f4 it’s perhaps not the best “event” lens - but for me range is much more important than max aperture. I reckon it‘s a great landscape lens. It’s notably bigger than the 20-60 (which I also have), but it's comparable in size with other 24-105 FF lenses. IQ is pretty much the same as my 20-60, but I think I must have a good copy of that since I’m extremely pleased with its performance - I get virtually no CA and haven’t noticed barrel distortion. Of course, both are easily fixed in LR anyhow.

Thanks Paul - I see your images with the 24-105 and they are mainly the reason it is in the mix. As you say both the ca and barrelling can be (mostly) fixed and will be accentuated with the subject but I have noticed it several times recently - probably just my lens so will likely trade it up for an option. Maybe not the best picture ever but an example of the barrelling below. I wonder if the rumoured longer L Mount will be available anytime soon?

20230429 - Cambridge - 001.jpg20230429 - Cambridge - 001.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Chris - can you send me the raw for this image? I'm curious where that barrel distortion is coming from! Would be good to play around with it in LR.

I deleted the original RAW after processing but this seems to happen frequently. I'll have a look to see if I kept any others from different days this evening.

Edit: I just found this in my bin. The buildings to the left this time and again at 20mm with the 20-60
20230415 - LINCOLN - 084.jpg20230415 - Peterborough Cathedral - 035-1.jpg

Last edited:
I deleted the original RAW after processing but this seems to happen frequently. I'll have a look to see if I kept any others from different days this evening.

Edit: I just found this in my bin. The buildings to the left this time and again at 20mm with the 20-60
View attachment 388413View attachment 388414
If you could drop the raw files for these into the free Dropbox or similar, that would be super!

I got some raw files from Chris. The barrel distortion is indeed there, but only when the files are not digitally corrected. The 20-60 lens retains some geometric distortion from its optical design and needs digital correction in post processing to remove it. The camera will do this in its JPEGs of course, but it will also write the correction data into the raw file. If your favourite PP editor respects these corrections, then you'll never notice the distortion, even with raw files. Lightroom does respect this data and by default will remove the distortion. This is how LR displays Chris's shot of the cathedral:

20230415 - Peterborough Cathedral - 035_1024 by Chris, on Flickr

If I force the corrections off, then the barrel distortion can be clearly seen:

20230415 - Peterborough Cathedral - 035_1024 by Chris, on Flickr

I'm aware that some other PP tools don't read the correction data (I think DxO is one of them) so you need to do the correction some other way. DxO offer their own correction data profiles that will be downloaded the first time it sees a particular lens. I'm not sure what other editors do. I notice in LR that a manual correction of +16 on the distortion slider gets pretty close - but of course this assumes a perfect barrel shape to the distortion. Some lenses have moustache like distortion that a simple correction like this won't fix.

I gave it a bit of the beans on PP BTW - it's a nice shot!

20230415 - Peterborough Cathedral - 035-Edit_1024 by Chris, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just had an email about some great deals on lenses from Panasonic, the 70-300 in particular is now down to £799 at a few outlets.

Thanks - actually looking again WEX are offering a code for £100 also, thank you. Does anyone here have one? What thoughts?
It’s a decent lens IMHO. For its range it’s fairly compact. Stabilisation is great and the semi macro capability is great for close ups. IQ is generally excellent, but focussed near infinity at 300, I find some loss of sharpness. It could be atmospheric factors so I’m not calling it as a lens problem. I paid £1000 for mine which I thought was over priced. At £799 it’s more reasonable I think.

Well I just ordered the 70-300 from wex for £799. That should then allow me to get rid of most of my M43rds gear when I return from Disney next year (but I bet I don't lol).
I bet you don't if they bring out a G9 Mark II with the new PDAF system, a back-lit sensor and all the latest bells & whistles!

If they do, you might be adding to your MFT gear not reducing it

I've got some FF and MFT gear, the MFT has some distinct advantages.

Last edited:
Reactions: CSB
Well the thing I use my M43 gear for is primarily when I go away on holiday. GX9 with the PL 12-60 is fab just as a walk about jack of all type camera. The G9 is great but not much smaller than my S5 although the 45-175 is tiny and great to just throw in. My G9 has the 12-35 F2.8 on it most of the time, although I do have the 25mm 1.7 and the 30mm macro for it also.

Just think with the S5, 20-60 and now 70-300 I've covered most of those needs now, so could free up some cash by getting rid of the M43 stuff and perhaps using the money towards a future S1R /S1/ S1H MK2?

Back