L-Mount Alliance Owners Thread

I’ve been on a family holiday for a few days near Bempton Cliffs and whilst taking birds in flight type shots are neither mine or the S5’s natural environment I had to try my hand with the Sigma 100-400mm combination. I’ll admit that it was a mixture of excitement and frustration but great fun and I walked away with more keepers than I expected.

Bempton by Jcw Photographic, on Flickr

I’ve been on a family holiday for a few days near Bempton Cliffs and whilst taking birds in flight type shots are neither mine or the S5’s natural environment I had to try my hand with the Sigma 100-400mm combination. I’ll admit that it was a mixture of excitement and frustration but great fun and I walked away with more keepers than I expected.

Some great photos here, good work! Are these from the 4k/6k photo mode?

Were the frustrations because of the AF. I'm desperate to get up to Bempton, I really want to see the Puffins. I've treated myself to an S5II and I'm hoping the new AF system might improve the keeper rate.

Some great photos here, good work! Are these from the 4k/6k photo mode?

Were the frustrations because of the AF. I'm desperate to get up to Bempton, I really want to see the Puffins. I've treated myself to an S5II and I'm hoping the new AF system might improve the keeper rate.
Thanks. These were just taken with the normal high speed burst rather than the 4k mode. To be honest the frustration was probably more me than the camera as it was my first attempt at birds in flight although I suspect if I had the equivalent lens for it my Z7 would have attained focus faster and more reliably

Thanks. These were just taken with the normal high speed burst rather than the 4k mode. To be honest the frustration was probably more me than the camera as it was my first attempt at birds in flight although I suspect if I had the equivalent lens for it my Z7 would have attained focus faster and more reliably
I don't think the non-continuous display helps during high speed mode. I'm tempted to get one of the olympus red dot sights that sits in the hot shoe, allowing me to concentrate on tracking the birds with my eye, rather than in the viewfinder or rear screen, especially if they are blacking out. Does the Z7 blackout in high speed burst?

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to update Sigma lens firmware via the Panasonic S5II or can it only be done via the the Sigma USB dock?

Thanks

How do you find the weight of the 100-400?

How do you find the weight of the 100-400?
It’s not too bad at all actually. I was a bit concerned about the weight when I bought it as I’ve got a fairly comprehensively screwed back but it honestly wasn’t a problem for two or three hours wandering around the cliff tops.

I just had one of the peak design straps (can never remember which one it is) but to be honest I took it off after a while and just carried it by the aftermarket tripod foot I have.

I can't decide between the 100-400 and the 150-600, or even saving up a little more for the 60-600.

Are you pleased with the 100-400?

I can't decide between the 100-400 and the 150-600, or even saving up a little more for the 60-600.

Are you pleased with the 100-400?
So far I am but to be honest I haven’t really used it enough yet to recommend it one way or the other. Sorry, probably not the most useful reply ever :)

Does anyone know if the S5 MK2 has the live composite mode yet? I know when it was released it didn't and it was supposed to arrive with a firmware update. Anyone here have one?
It's coming on June 13th I believe. Eagerly awaiting it as I loved using it on my S5.

It's been a wee while since I've posted in here, it's now the time of year where my camera takes a break until the greens disappear and the moody weather comes back...even managed to turn left at my road end and headed south for one day!

All taken on the S5 with the 20-60mm

Old Man of Storr by Martin Steele, on Flickr
Fairy Pools 2 by Martin Steele, on Flickr
Shining Light by Martin Steele, on Flickr
Tryfan stile by Martin Steele, on Flickr
Tryfan sunset by Martin Steele, on Flickr
I really like all of these. Nice work Martin The Tryfan Stile is my favourite though - I love the story and the journey that the photo takes me on.

Last edited:
I really like all of these. Nice work Martin The Tryfan Stile is my favourite though - I love the story and the journey thay the photo takes me on.
Thank you very much, the Tryfan one is one of my favourite images I've made in a fair while :)

They are fabulous images and man, I would be so happy if I could produce something like that.

My 70-300 is arriving tomorrow so hope to get out soon and maybe take some snaps with it. Looking back over a lot of images I have taken recently (say last couple of years) and there are very, very few keepers. Most are just snaps of the occasion / day out. I need to be far more selective when taking images perhaps set out to do one specific type of genre rather than just taking images or everything lol.

My 70-300 is arriving tomorrow so hope to get out soon and maybe take some snaps with it. Looking back over a lot of images I have taken recently (say last couple of years) and there are very, very few keepers. Most are just snaps of the occasion / day out. I need to be far more selective when taking images.
I procrastinated long enough for the 100-400 to go last weekend - and now deeply regret it - so will either have to buy new or come up with plan b. I'll be interested to see how you get on with your 70-300.

I heard recently someone say that you just have to be in the right place at the right time to take ’that picture’. It always seems odd to me that someone else always seems to be in ‘The right place’ rather than me so have decided to make the place occur from time to time and imagine what you want to end up with and make it happen.

Hi folks, couple of quick images from the 70-300 mm. I have never managed to get a decent image of the wood pigeons at the bottom of the garden before. This was just a few snaps handheld with spot focus in Ap priority. No editing jpeg files. Looks like it may open some new avenues for me. It is on the S5 and doesn't feel too large to me.

It's been a wee while since I've posted in here, it's now the time of year where my camera takes a break until the greens disappear and the moody weather comes back...even managed to turn left at my road end and headed south for one day!

All taken on the S5 with the 20-60mm

Old Man of Storr by Martin Steele, on Flickr
Fairy Pools 2 by Martin Steele, on Flickr
Shining Light by Martin Steele, on Flickr
Tryfan stile by Martin Steele, on Flickr
Tryfan sunset by Martin Steele, on Flickr
All stunning shots!! Love ’em all !

I use the Sigma 150-600 Sport for my telephoto zoom option and I'm super happy with it.

Here's a few example shots:

P1022487.jpg

P1023952.jpg

P1022479.jpg

P1022260 (1).jpg

P1038910.jpg

For my level of photography I don't think I'll ever need more and it allows me to have a lot of fun with the wildlife side. I've been tempted to get a 70-200mm as a practical go between but the Panasonic options are a lot of money!

Sigma do make some nice glass
I've got one of their Macro lenses and the results are lovely. I think if I was a wealthy man I'd have at least 3 or 4 more of their lenses that sit on my wishlist.

I use the Sigma 150-600 Sport for my telephoto zoom option and I'm super happy with it.

Here's a few example shots:

View attachment 392117

View attachment 392118

View attachment 392119

View attachment 392120

View attachment 392121

For my level of photography I don't think I'll ever need more and it allows me to have a lot of fun with the wildlife side. I've been tempted to get a 70-200mm as a practical go between but the Panasonic options are a lot of money!
Great shots Adam! These from the S5 or S1R, they look to have lots of details.

Great shots Adam! These from the S5 or S1R, they look to have lots of details.
I think these are all from the S5, they're also rescaled to fit forum posting requirements so there's definitely a degradation from the original files but they still hold up so well.

I'm shooting with an S5ii now and I'm delighted with it.

I'm looking for an L bracket for my S5 and I'm struggling to find anything apart from an unbranded version on Amazon. Smallrig have discontinued their version for the S5.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Back