Lab colour sharpening

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone help with this? I was trying to prepare my entry for this months POTY round, when I got to the sharpening stage something different happened. I use the ‘lab colour’ system for sharpening my images, I’ve done it loads of times with no probs. Tonight though; when I select ‘lab colour’ from the menu my image goes black! I still get the four channels - Lab, Lightness, a and b but the lab channel is black instead of the usual full colour image, anyone had this happen to them? :thinking:

Thanks

Can anyone help with this? I was trying to prepare my entry for this months POTY round, when I got to the sharpening stage something different happened. I use the ‘lab colour’ system for sharpening my images, I’ve done it loads of times with no probs. Tonight though; when I select ‘lab colour’ from the menu my image goes black! I still get the four channels - Lab, Lightness, a and b but the lab channel is black instead of the usual full colour image, anyone had this happen to them? :thinking:

Thanks

I've tried to recreate problem but I can't. Does the same thing happen on another photo or just this one?

It happens with all images, even ones I've sharpened this way in the past.

Mike

No that did't change anything
thanks anyway

Mike

have you tried re-booting your PC?
i had a similar issue - everything went dark grey, not black... took a re-boot to reset it even though i'd cleaned up all non necessary memory programs.

Yes, my son said that sometimes restarting photoshop can de-snag it so I rebooted the whole shooting match just in case

Mike

Try this method of recreating the preference file: Before doing this you will need to go to Explorer, Tools, View then under Advanced settings choose show hidden files and folders. If you do not do this first you will probably not be able to find the preferences file.

To re-create the Photoshop preferences file:

Quit Photoshop.
Rename the Users\[username]\Library\Preferences\Adobe Photoshop CS3 Settings\Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.psp folder to Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.old.
Start Photoshop. Photoshop creates a new Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.psp file.
If the problem continues, then the Photoshop preferences file isn't the cause. To restore custom settings, quit Photoshop, then delete the new Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.psp file and restore the original name of the previous Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.psp file.

If this still doesn't work I would try cleaning out temp files etc on your pc in case one of these is causing a problem. Also make sure you have the latest virus definitions installed on your pc and run a full scan.

On Monday night I posted this problem on one of the Adobe forum sites. One reply said that several reports of this problem had been associated to camera raw updates 4.3.1 and 4.4.1 suggesting that I restore before this upgrade. Unfortunately I don't have a restore point before the update. Another reply said that he had only been able to cure this problem with a complete re-install of photoshop. I have tried a re-install, which cured the lab colour problem but introduced a couple of new ones :bang: I now think my problem is completely removing ALL of the old photoshop to give a clean install (I really don't want to re-format)

Mike

On Monday night I posted this problem on one of the Adobe forum sites. One reply said that several reports of this problem had been associated to camera raw updates 4.3.1 and 4.4.1 suggesting that I restore before this upgrade. Unfortunately I don't have a restore point before the update. Another reply said that he had only been able to cure this problem with a complete re-install of photoshop. I have tried a re-install, which cured the lab colour problem but introduced a couple of new ones :bang: I now think my problem is completely removing ALL of the old photoshop to give a clean install (I really don't want to re-format)

Mike

I have 4.3.1 and have tested but no problem with mine. I think I won't bother to update to 4.4.1! I think that maybe your only option would be to uninstall and then reinstall Photoshop. Just a thought though, Camera RAW is a plug in. Have you tried removing the plug in for 4.4.1 and then reinstalling the plug in for the earlier version. This may work and save a full reinstall.

I’ve now done 4 re-installs; first one no change, second one cured lab color fault but introduced new ones, third one lab color fault returned plus the new ones from the second. After the fourth one I’m now back where I started on Monday night, no apparent faults other than lab color. I’ve installed all updates including 4.4.1, I’m thinking that I might run with this as the affected channel is not the one required for the sharpening process. Any thoughts? This seems the best option for the moment; as I intend a pc re-build in the next six months or so.

Mike

Back