North England Ladybower plugholes and Torside overflow.

Edit My Images
Yes
I got a PM last Sunday from that nice @rookies who lives near Bamford that the plugholes were close to overflowing. A week of snow and rain and the water is doing it's thing. Called round to Torside on the way home. That too is nicely overflowing. Time to get those 13 stoppers out.
Excuse the crappy phone pics.
20180106_090104.jpg 20180106_100412.jpg 20180106_122936.jpg

I can be nice ha ha and can be a pain in the arse as we all know.. But of late I been a good boy

No prob at all if at any time anyone wants to know if plug hole in action or derwent is over flowing give us a shout.

I think the plug going get close end of week.

Reactions: nog
derwent is over flowing
Went up to the Derwent Dam afterwards. So much water coming over that you couldn't see the masonry.
Believe if or not I once climed that dam when it was frozen solid. Winter of '83 IIRC. Ice axes, crampons etc. It was a bit scary near the top. Brown trouser job!!!

Last day of plug hole being open tmr then it being closed

Bye bye plughole photos...the Environment Agency have asked for the water levels to be dropped in Ladybower tomorrow to increase flood storage capacity in the reservoir. There'll be a release of water down the River Derwent tomorrow from 9am. If you're kayaking at Matlock

Well there other ways the water get shift just not down plug hole.

Open a massive valve at the bottom

Was meant to be going to shoot the plug holes on Sunday, will they definitely not be flowing even if we have lots of rain between now and then?

Was meant to be going to shoot the plug holes on Sunday, will they definitely not be flowing even if we have lots of rain between now and then?
Doesn't sound like it. @rookies lives on the spot so he'll have more info when he gets on here.

I will update you but while valve open plug hole won’t overflow.

Rookies - the Derbyshire Times says that the plug holes are flowing again, have your heard or seen anything?

Yes it overflowing currently. [emoji1303]

Has anyone flown a drone over these for a different perspective?

Plug Been open again folks

Had 2 weeks to do that lol

It was low water on Sunday but the spillways were covered in snow and ice. They looked magnificent. The recent snow might get them flowing over again. I never found torside overflow when I went.

There is space for 1 car near a gate, on the road on the far side of the res, level with the dam wall on Torside, or other than that there’s a car park half way along the reservoir, it’s pay and display and is about a 20 minute walk to the overflow.

Last edited:
Back