Lake District night shots

That is a cracking set of shots - well done.

No.1 is my favourite. Someone has mentioned the branch is distracting, but I find it a great lead-in to the shot. However, my eye is drawn away from the main part of the shot towards the lights on the left. I think I would crop out those lights. Having said that, I'm being picky - it's a great capture.

Ken

Thanks for the comment Ken. I actually never took much notice to the lights on the left hand side, but now I think cloning them out would be a good thing to do. Many thanks :)

Thank you all so much for the kind comments. I am very pleased with this set of images, so it's nice to know other people like them too :)

These are stunning and something I have though I should try and I now will have a go.

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

I've only been to the Lakes once and these are inspiration enough to get me back there very soon.

Really didn't know what to expect when I clicked on this but this is a great set, the moonlight gives a familiar location a fresh look.

Especially like 2 and 3, the cool blue tones really suit.

If I was being picky I'd probably have cloned out the lights on the left side on the far bank as they're close enough to the posts of the jettyto distract slightly

These are very good, excellent composition, light & creativity.

However they are let down by a technical flaw, if you look where the mountain lines meet the sky in most of your images, there are significant jpg 'jaggies' in the image below I've indicated where they are, and I took the liberty of taking a part of Andrew's image from his thread to show the difference.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=454673

martin.jpg

These jaggies can be caused by compression, but more often sharpening.

I would consider going back to your original images (before sharpening) and re-do them, perhaps selectively sharpening?

If these had been so-so images, the jaggies would probably not be worth mentioning, but as they maybe published/sold (they are good enough) then it is worth pointing out the faults.

Amazing shots. Out of interest how much and what PP did you do on these?

Fantastic Images, for the star trails, is that several exposures put together? or one long one? I always fear of my sensor overheating!

These are very good, excellent composition, light & creativity.

However they are let down by a technical flaw, if you look where the mountain lines meet the sky in most of your images, there are significant jpg 'jaggies' in the image below I've indicated where they are, and I took the liberty of taking a part of Andrew's image from his thread to show the difference.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=454673

martin.jpg

These jaggies can be caused by compression, but more often sharpening.

I would consider going back to your original images (before sharpening) and re-do them, perhaps selectively sharpening?

If these had been so-so images, the jaggies would probably not be worth mentioning, but as they maybe published/sold (they are good enough) then it is worth pointing out the faults.

Thank you very much Les, I'm not very good when it comes to the PP part, so I probably have over sharpened them as you point out, although the saved file doesn't look as bad as the Flickr upload, I can still see what you mean.

I'll take a look on youtube for guides on selective sharpening and have another go at them :)

Amazing shots. Out of interest how much and what PP did you do on these?

Thank you. I don't do a lot of PP, I pretty much do the same PP for each shot, I'll adjust white balance, use the shadow and highlight sliders in Lightroom 4, then export to CS5 to have a slight levels tweak and then unsharp mask.

Fantastic Images, for the star trails, is that several exposures put together? or one long one? I always fear of my sensor overheating!

Thank you. The star trails shot is 114 shots at 30 seconds each, then stacked together using the startrails.de program.

Thank you everyone for your comments, they're very much appreciated.

Stunning Set Martin and congrats on the explores! It's great to see a different type of shot of this jetty as I have seen plenty of identical shots of it lately, I swear there must be a queue of tripods at sunset time!

Not done any night shoots yet this year but 1 and 2 are great - must get out again soon(y)

That's a fantastic set, No.2 for me - though I'd like to have seen it with trails too.

What a fabulous set of images, seeing these for the first time on your PC you
surely must have been pleased.

Cheers.

Beautiful set of images, very inspiring indeed!

Thankyou for the comments once again folks :)

Love every one of them! A few of us local if ever you plan a group outing?

I'm always up for meeting local photographers for sure :)

These are the best images I have seen for ages. A technique I am really looking forward to trying when I go up to Glencoe in a few weeks time. Well done!!

How did I miss these???? Outstanding set.

Back