1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Okay Guest, it's coming up to the festive season. If you'd like to take part in this year's Secret Santa gift exchange, click the link below and speak to our resident Jolly Red Guy.

Dismiss Notice
  1. Fishjump

Fishjump

Name:
    paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I'm trying to schedule a visit to the UK, and wish to coincide with some Autumn color in The Lake District. at this time, I'm thinking around the last week of October?

TIA

Paul

2. GTG

GTG

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    No guarantee in the UK but yes its supposed to be late Sep / Oct / Nov

3. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I usually reckon last week in October/first week in November here in Wales, so maybe a few days earlier in the Lakes? It does depend on frost/wind though.

4. alfbranch

alfbranch

Name:
    Alf
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Anywhere in that timeframe is correct and it can be quite localised.
    It depends on what the Atlantic ocean throws at us. So no guarantee.

I live within sight of the lakes.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  5. GTG

GTG

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Incredibly leaf drop is already happening with me and I'm down South. My lawn is starting to look messy with them already

6. Sid

Sid

Name:
    Sidath
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I was in Skye this past weekend and there were sections where the ground looked distinctly autumnal with the amount of leaves that had fallen. Some heavy wind helped I think.

7. Scirocco_09

Scirocco_09

Edit My Images:
    No
    I go every year and the last few days of October and especially the first week of November is usually fantastic. The Ullswater area was slower to turn last year though, the oaks were mostly still very green in early November but there were still beautiful patches of gold to be found, especially in the morning mists. The birch trees will start turning this month, some may have started already. Can't wait to be back there

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  8. GordonM

GordonM

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Leaf drop seems bad with Chestnuts already, presumably due to the leaf infection they seem to have developed?

9. Scirocco_09

Scirocco_09

Edit My Images:
    No
    Possibly the moth problem (https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=533) but they're actually turning later this year here in Lincolnshire, seen it in late July in previous years

10. Eljay

Eljay

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Last year was later than previously. I think this year we are about 10 days or so ahead of last year. I think the last two weeks of October will be just about right. It depends how things go over the rest of September. I am in the Lakes (Ullswater mostly but also Keswick/Ambleside/Consiton) every day.

Craig_85 likes this.
  11. Craig_85

Craig_85

Name:
    Craig
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    This is my unscientific feeling too.

The only thing is the w/c 23rd is the schools half term holiday I think. I always go away for autumn and because I prefer less people I usually do the week after this.

Autumn also seems to happen earlier further North, is this true? Or is it really dependent on which areas get a couple of good frosts first, which is usually further north?

I'm going to Scotland for autumn this year, and I literally spend the time leading up to it getting excited as I see the colours turning, but also nervous when it seems too windy! Last year the conditions dovetailed perfectly for my planned trip. Fingers crossed for everyone this year who has to book a particular week.

12. Scirocco_09

Scirocco_09

Edit My Images:
    No
    Same here, you're ok for sunrise but it can get very crowded during the day.

This is generally true, and spring is usually earlier in the south - I'd guess it's a combination of heat and altitude. The peak autumn colours where I am are usually a few weeks behind the Lake District, although we don't get half as good a display

13. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Here in Wales leaf loss seems to be beginning very early too. Trees seem to be thinning already which doesn't bode well for a colourful autumn. But who knows what will happen between now and then.....

14. Scirocco_09

Scirocco_09

Edit My Images:
    No
    It's hard to predict but it's generally been unsettled with fairly average to cool temperatures since the middle of July (at least where I am). BBC's monthly outlook predicts September will improve from next week with high pressure arriving for most of the country - warm days, chilly nights and foggy mornings ahead. Maybe that'll peg things back and be good for the colour but if not I'd also say the best of autumn will be earlier than last year.

I've only got accommodation in the Lakes for the second week of November so far, done back in May when the weather was at it's peak and I expected another late autumn. Had the jitters in the last couple of months and will no doubt be booking the week before as well!

jerry12953 likes this.
  15. mickledore

mickledore

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'm just south of The Lakes. We have leaf drop already, but no colour as yet.
    This was taken at the end of October 2015
    [​IMG]
    The Island
    by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr
    as was this
    [​IMG]
    Moss Eccles tarn
    This was taken earlier the same month
    [​IMG]
    Autumn

which all goes to show that there is no uniformity of time frame up there. Some go yellow/red/orange early and others stay green for a long time.

Dael_Pix and stickytape like this.
  16. Stu Meech

Stu Meech

Name:
    Stu
    Edit My Images:
    No
    In my experience autumn always hangs on a lot longer the further south you go. New Forest, for instance, normally peaks early November to sometimes even as late as mid November.

Craig_85 likes this.
  17. Fishjump

Fishjump

Name:
    paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I'd like to thank everyone for their experience and suggestions. Hopefully, I've chosen the right time of Nov 1 - 6.

18. 4wd

4wd

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    There's a lot of oak in the Lake District and they are the last to fall, even if they go quite brown they often hang on almost to December.

19. Dashing

Dashing

Name:
    Richard
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'll be there from the 10th-12th.. so make sure you post your pics so I know what I'm in for

20. alfbranch

alfbranch

Name:
    Alf
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Some colours are changing and with the recent weather leaves are dropping though not a lot.
    This is on the west side of the lakes.

21. JackBell

JackBell

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    My wife's birthday is on the 6th Nov, we always have a week in the Lake District then, usually hit more or less the peak 'colour' time frame when we are there. Hoping for the same this year, normally in the Keswick area but this year in Bowness.

22. 4wd

4wd

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    No two years are quite the same and differences can be quite localised.
    This year they all seem to be going shrivelled brown [at similar latitude] here already, about two weeks sooner than last year - with minimal yellow and red tones.

23. Scirocco_09

Scirocco_09

Edit My Images:
    No
    How's the Lake District looking folks? Looking forward to heading up next week, guess there's a lot of bare trees though?

24. JackBell

JackBell

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Don't know about the Lake District yet but over here in Durham it's a little strange, some trees are nearly bare but others have hardly changed colour. Notwithstanding species variation.

25. RichieTee

RichieTee

Name:
    Rich
    Just got back from 3 days in the lakes and the colours are about peak in some areas. A lot of higher ground trees have been stripped bare by the past winds but the lower level trees, especially around the waters, are beautiful if some good light

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  26. alfbranch

alfbranch

Name:
    Alf
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Looked good at Crummock water this morning.

27. RichieTee

RichieTee

Name:
    Rich
    I was at Buttermere this morning. Along with the rest of the world it seemed haha

28. alfbranch

alfbranch

Name:
    Alf
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  29. RichieTee

RichieTee

Name:
    Rich
    Belter that mate. Some beautiful light about cutting through the peaks. Haven't even taken my images of the camera yet. That's this mornings job :)

30. Scirocco_09

Scirocco_09

Edit My Images:
    No
    That's good to hear chaps and that's a beautiful shot Alf. Monday morning could be good with -2 forecast in some areas, sadly not up till Wednesday though

31. stickytape

stickytape

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Any particular good areas to go? I’m going to head up this weekend or next weekend I think!

32. RichieTee

RichieTee

Name:
    Rich
    The colours around Rydal, grasmere, derwent and Thirlemere were all very nice in the right light. Light winds Sunday I think so some great reflections too

stickytape and SFTPhotography like this.
  33. stickytape

stickytape

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thank you! I will aim to pop over next Saturday!

34. keety

keety

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    As was I.. drove all the way up from Southampton....

35. alfbranch

alfbranch

Name:
    Alf
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Well I had to clone three toggs out of ther shot shown but there not may others there.

36. RichieTee

RichieTee

Name:
    Rich
    Haha. Hope you got some good shots for that effort?. Being an ex Isle of Wighter myself I know that's a fair trip.

37. gvb279

gvb279

Edit My Images:
    No
    I went to Tarn Hows last Friday hoping for some Autumnal Colours, but unfortunately the last bout of high wind blew the leaves away.