Lake District Time Frame

Name
paul
Edit My Images
No
I'm trying to schedule a visit to the UK, and wish to coincide with some Autumn color in The Lake District. at this time, I'm thinking around the last week of October?

TIA

Paul

No guarantee in the UK but yes its supposed to be late Sep / Oct / Nov

No guarantee in the UK but yes its supposed to be late Sep / Oct / Nov
Anywhere in that timeframe is correct and it can be quite localised.
It depends on what the Atlantic ocean throws at us. So no guarantee.

I live within sight of the lakes.

Last edited:
Anywhere in that timeframe is correct and it can be quite localised.
It depends on what the Atlantic ocean throws at us. So no guarantee.

I live within sight of the lakes.

Incredibly leaf drop is already happening with me and I'm down South. My lawn is starting to look messy with them already

Incredibly leaf drop is already happening with me and I'm down South. My lawn is starting to look messy with them already

I was in Skye this past weekend and there were sections where the ground looked distinctly autumnal with the amount of leaves that had fallen. Some heavy wind helped I think.

I go every year and the last few days of October and especially the first week of November is usually fantastic. The Ullswater area was slower to turn last year though, the oaks were mostly still very green in early November but there were still beautiful patches of gold to be found, especially in the morning mists. The birch trees will start turning this month, some may have started already. Can't wait to be back there

Last edited:
Leaf drop seems bad with Chestnuts already, presumably due to the leaf infection they seem to have developed?

Last year was later than previously. I think this year we are about 10 days or so ahead of last year. I think the last two weeks of October will be just about right. It depends how things go over the rest of September. I am in the Lakes (Ullswater mostly but also Keswick/Ambleside/Consiton) every day.

Last year was later than previously. I think this year we are about 10 days or so ahead of last year. I think the last two weeks of October will be just about right. It depends how things go over the rest of September. I am in the Lakes (Ullswater mostly but also Keswick/Ambleside/Consiton) every day.

This is my unscientific feeling too.

The only thing is the w/c 23rd is the schools half term holiday I think. I always go away for autumn and because I prefer less people I usually do the week after this.

Autumn also seems to happen earlier further North, is this true? Or is it really dependent on which areas get a couple of good frosts first, which is usually further north?

I'm going to Scotland for autumn this year, and I literally spend the time leading up to it getting excited as I see the colours turning, but also nervous when it seems too windy! Last year the conditions dovetailed perfectly for my planned trip. Fingers crossed for everyone this year who has to book a particular week.

The only thing is the w/c 23rd is the schools half term holiday I think. I always go away for autumn and because I prefer less people I usually do the week after this.

Autumn also seems to happen earlier further North, is this true? Or is it really dependent on which areas get a couple of good frosts first, which is usually further north?

Same here, you're ok for sunrise but it can get very crowded during the day.

This is generally true, and spring is usually earlier in the south - I'd guess it's a combination of heat and altitude. The peak autumn colours where I am are usually a few weeks behind the Lake District, although we don't get half as good a display

Here in Wales leaf loss seems to be beginning very early too. Trees seem to be thinning already which doesn't bode well for a colourful autumn. But who knows what will happen between now and then.....

It's hard to predict but it's generally been unsettled with fairly average to cool temperatures since the middle of July (at least where I am). BBC's monthly outlook predicts September will improve from next week with high pressure arriving for most of the country - warm days, chilly nights and foggy mornings ahead. Maybe that'll peg things back and be good for the colour but if not I'd also say the best of autumn will be earlier than last year.

I've only got accommodation in the Lakes for the second week of November so far, done back in May when the weather was at it's peak and I expected another late autumn. Had the jitters in the last couple of months and will no doubt be booking the week before as well!

I'm just south of The Lakes. We have leaf drop already, but no colour as yet.
This was taken at the end of October 2015

The Island
by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr
as was this

Moss Eccles tarn
This was taken earlier the same month

Autumn

which all goes to show that there is no uniformity of time frame up there. Some go yellow/red/orange early and others stay green for a long time.

I'm going to Scotland for autumn this year, and I literally spend the time leading up to it getting excited as I see the colours turning, but also nervous when it seems too windy! Last year the conditions dovetailed perfectly for my planned trip. Fingers crossed for everyone this year who has to book a particular week.
In my experience autumn always hangs on a lot longer the further south you go. New Forest, for instance, normally peaks early November to sometimes even as late as mid November.

I'd like to thank everyone for their experience and suggestions. Hopefully, I've chosen the right time of Nov 1 - 6.

I've only got accommodation in the Lakes for the second week of November so far, done back in May when the weather was at it's peak and I expected another late autumn. Had the jitters in the last couple of months and will no doubt be booking the week before as well!
There's a lot of oak in the Lake District and they are the last to fall, even if they go quite brown they often hang on almost to December.

I'd like to thank everyone for their experience and suggestions. Hopefully, I've chosen the right time of Nov 1 - 6.

I'll be there from the 10th-12th.. so make sure you post your pics so I know what I'm in for [emoji6]

Some colours are changing and with the recent weather leaves are dropping though not a lot.
This is on the west side of the lakes.

My wife's birthday is on the 6th Nov, we always have a week in the Lake District then, usually hit more or less the peak 'colour' time frame when we are there. Hoping for the same this year, normally in the Keswick area but this year in Bowness.

No two years are quite the same and differences can be quite localised.
This year they all seem to be going shrivelled brown [at similar latitude] here already, about two weeks sooner than last year - with minimal yellow and red tones.

How's the Lake District looking folks? Looking forward to heading up next week, guess there's a lot of bare trees though?

Don't know about the Lake District yet but over here in Durham it's a little strange, some trees are nearly bare but others have hardly changed colour. Notwithstanding species variation.

Just got back from 3 days in the lakes and the colours are about peak in some areas. A lot of higher ground trees have been stripped bare by the past winds but the lower level trees, especially around the waters, are beautiful if some good light

Last edited:
Looked good at Crummock water this morning.

That's good to hear chaps and that's a beautiful shot Alf. Monday morning could be good with -2 forecast in some areas, sadly not up till Wednesday though

Any particular good areas to go? I’m going to head up this weekend or next weekend I think!

I went to Tarn Hows last Friday hoping for some Autumnal Colours, but unfortunately the last bout of high wind blew the leaves away.

Back