Beginner Lancaster flypast advice

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, today (hopefully) 2 Lancasters are flying. They will be overhead where I am midafternoon. I have never tried to snap planes in flight but this seems too good a chance to miss. In short then, can anyone recommend the ideal settings? I have a d3100, kit lens and a 70-300 Sigma. Instinct tells me to be ready at close to 300 mm, speed 1/250, and f. stop about 16. (it's looking like it will be a bright blue sky). I could be way off though, as really am entirely new to trying this. (Realise I might have no chance at all of getting a decent shot!) Any and all advice gratefully received. (if it's past 2.30pm when you read this, it's already over ) I'll post a link to the flight plan below.

Hi mate they are coming over here Windermere @ 2-45pm ish, dial in av, f5.6 to f8 this will automatically give you a decent shutter speed ie 0ver 1000, you may have to dial in some compensation ie +1 against a blue sky could be more against a white sky, if your not sure pick a tree branch with the sky in the background and dial in + or - ev to expose the branch perfectly. this will give you a good start. you don't need f16. Good luck. Tone.

dial in av, f5.6 to f8 this will automatically give you a decent shutter speed ie 0ver 1000

Are you trying to freeze the propeller movement? In my opinion a shutter speed around 1/125 gives just the right amount of blur.

Steve.

Thanks for replying Steve, to be honest, the level I'm at, I'll be happy if I freeze the aeroplane! Really am newbie

If you get the chance, depending on how often they fly past I suppose, try 1/125 and 1/1000 to see the difference. Pictures of aircraft taken at high shutter speeds without any propeller blur tend to look a bit like Airfix models!

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/31881174

Steve.

Last edited:
dont really want shutter of 1/1000 + for prop planes, unless you want frozen props.

similar q posted http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...toggers-shooting-the-lancs-advice-pls.556321/ there recently.

Think you're close with your 1/250 and f16.

This was 1/200, f11 ISO 100 on a D5100 with 55-500mm lens. at 130mm.

and the SOOC shot.
cIsdbVP.jpg

Remember, you can recover shadows to a certain degree, less so highlights, also you can crop if you frame too loose, harder to add more if you frame too tight.

Excellent link thanks, I'd searched "Lancaster" not "lancs" or I'd have found it
Look of forward to trying now.

Despite excellent advice, planes were too far away from me, entirely my fault! On plus side did get a nice shot or two of Mrs Chap.
Thanks again folk ☺

I know this has been and gone but it should be noted that for the Lancasters in particular, they have made exposure slightly awkward by using night camouflage and painting them black underneath.

When I was lucky enough to see the 2 bombers, I had the luxury of shooting a few other planes beforehand so could get the exposure pretty close then play with shutter speeds to get some prop blur. It also gave me some time to get my plane panning head on for the slightly slower shutter speed shots!

Back