Landscape kit recommendations!

Edit My Images
No
I find myself in the Lake District & up hills more often now and while I have been using my phone & Fuji X100t I'd like to get back to using a dslr.

I'm looking for recommendations for a used body & lens (probably wide angle zoom) that comes in under £500.

Was considering a 7D & Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. Thoughts?

Personally, as you don't already have any lenses, I'd look at something with a Sony sensor (Nikon, Pentax, Sony) as their sensors are much better than Canon (certainly in the price bracket you're looking at). For landscape the Pentax pixel shift technology is very compelling (but I think you would need a tripod too?) and also Pentax cameras are weatherproofed at a much cheaper pricepoint.

Or, given it's for landscape (i.e. you don't need great continuous AF) then something mirrorless would be good as it will save weight when you're walking, Sony, Fuji or m43 would all be good.

Well I made a quick decision and I've gone for a Nikon D5300 & AFS 18-105 f3. 5-5.6 ED VR. Obviously I'll miss out on wider aperture for the moment but for what I'm doing I think it's a good starting point!

What you've bought will do you fine for now but at some point I'd recommend upgrading the lens. Do you have a tripod? If not, you should get one sooner rather then later.
But for landscape you really don't need a lot of camera gear.

Good choice and I found that lens a rather good performer, it covered me for a good few years. Also, for landscape I think you will find the extra telephoto more useful than something really wide.

Only watchouts for the lens is the plastic mount and some distortion at the wide end (easily fixed in PP though).

Cheers folks! Yes I've got a reasonable tripod. Totally agree re upgrading in a while, ideally I'll probably go 70-200 then a wide angle, then a new body a few years down the line. Trying to keep it simple!

Read about the distortion at 18mm and its a bit soft in the corners but I can cope with that for my pictures :)

Don't forget filters. Wide angle + a few filters
Ah, but I've had this dilemma myself recently regarding a polariser.

Is a Polariser worth using with an UWA lens given the potential for an 'uneven' effect on skies particularly?

Ah, but I've had this dilemma myself recently regarding a polariser.

Is a Polariser worth using with an UWA lens given the potential for an 'uneven' effect on skies particularly?
Was thinking more NDs & Grads.

Back