Wales Landscape locations Cardiff/Caerphilly

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
My son and I are attending an event in Caerphilly at the end of April, and will be travelling down the day before, so will have the evening free in Cardiff/Caerphilly - we haven't booked a hotel yet.

I thought it would be a good opportunity to do some landscape photography together, are there any good spots, that do not involve too much walking to access. As we are from the Midlands, coastal locations would be ideal. Maybe somewhere for sunset too...

Waterfalls could be a good option too.

Theres Caerphilly mountain, havent been there for years so not much help. Cardiff bay has a lot of photo options, as does Penarth or Duraven bay. Cardiff has a castle right in the centre of the city.
Glyn neath for waterfalls, maybe 25/30 ish miles is from Cardiff, but lots off good one there.

The go-to sunset locations are Dunraven/Nash Point coastline.

Theres Caerphilly mountain, havent been there for years so not much help. Cardiff bay has a lot of photo options, as does Penarth or Duraven bay. Cardiff has a castle right in the centre of the city.
Glyn neath for waterfalls, maybe 25/30 ish miles is from Cardiff, but lots off good one there.

Thanks both, there are some good options there.

Remembered a few more places.
Close to Cardiff is St Fagans living museum (lots of old houses and shops and a farm, free entry just a car park charge) lots of pics to be had here. Also near Cardiff is Dyffryn Gardens, a manor house with lovely gardens (used in several Dr Who episodes) A little further away is Tredegar House, again a manor type house and gardens.

Nearest waterfalls for you with easy walks are probably at Taf Fechan, near Merthyr Tydfil, an easy drive from Caerphilly of around 25 minutes or so, I've done them many times, you also have the Brecon steam railway that runs from Pant, Merthyr Tydfil ( you would drive past it to get to Taf Fechan).If you want any more on them PM me.

We are heading down this weekend. I think the plan is to head into Porthcawl for fish and chips, then Dunraven for some photography.

The fair is closed in Porthcawl, but sometimes the gates are open and theres shots to be had of the empty rides. theres a few stalls outside the closed area though. Theres also surfers sometimes.
Dunraven has a beach waterfall, but it's a bit of a PITA to get to, and it's not that great if it's been a dry spell. Theres a walled garden and tower up the hill behind the car park (sometimes called Dunraven castle), and your about 2 miles from Ogmore castle.

We are heading down this weekend. I think the plan is to head into Porthcawl for fish and chips, then Dunraven for some photography.

There's only 1 chippy you'll need to go to, Beale's , head toward the fair ground, you'll see Aldi in front of it, turn left a the roundabout and it's about 200 yards on the left, best cod and chips around. Rest bay is worth a go at sunset if it's a low tide.

The fair is closed in Porthcawl, but sometimes the gates are open and theres shots to be had of the empty rides. theres a few stalls outside the closed area though. Theres also surfers sometimes.
Dunraven has a beach waterfall, but it's a bit of a PITA to get to, and it's not that great if it's been a dry spell. Theres a walled garden and tower up the hill behind the car park (sometimes called Dunraven castle), and your about 2 miles from Ogmore castle.

Th e fair ground was open and running last Friday evening.

Th e fair ground was open and running last Friday evening.
It seems it's open Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoons (untill 9 some days). It always used to open for Easter weekend then open properly in May if I remember rightly. I was there on a tuesday I think mate.
From what I'm hearing this might be it's last summer. Theres plans to build house on the site.
I normally go for the Elvis festival every year too.

There's only 1 chippy you'll need to go to, Beale's , head toward the fair ground, you'll see Aldi in front of it, turn left a the roundabout and it's about 200 yards on the left, best cod and chips around. Rest bay is worth a go at sunset if it's a low tide.
This is the sort of intel I need!

High tide is about an hour after sunset on Saturday.

Back