Landscape Workshops

Edit My Images
No
I have been thinking about ways to take my photography up towards the next level, and it seems the business model for a lot of pro landscape photographers is to run workshops.

So I was wondering if anyone has been on any work shops and what found most beneficial from them, was it simply a photo holiday to a nice location or did it help "level up" your photography in any significant way.

Thanks

And not so pro landscape photographers seem to run them too! The key phrase here is "business model". It's harder to make money from photography now and more people are doing it so one answer is to offer workshops. Good for the togger as a means to make filthy lucre. Client benefits? Well probably more down to your skill level, the skill level of the tutor and what you want to achieve.
I've not done one but I know one or two people that offer them and someone that is really very good that pays to go on them, despite being better than most people anyway.

There are some very good tutors out there, but how much you will get from a workshop is difficult to say ... my advice would be to check out their websites and see if they have a facebook page etc - it will give some idea of what they are capable of - look at their style and pick the one that most appeals. Depending on where you are in the country, but check out Jeremy Walker and Ross Hodinott ...

I paid through the nose to attend a well-known residential workshop in the NW Highlands with some well-known names. To be honest it was a bit of a shambles. I ceratinly didn't get what I was hoping for from it. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Personally I would be very cautious about attending another one. You do come across photographers whose ONLY claim to fame is that they run workshops. I would definitely expect a much better track record than that.

Last edited:
I paid through the nose to attend a well-known residential workshop in the NW Highlands with some well-known names. To be honest it was a bit of a shambles. I ceratinly didn't get what I was hoping for from it. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Personally I would be very cautious about attending another one. You do come across photographers whose ONLY claim to fame is that they run workshops. I would definitely expect a much better track record than that.
MN?

It's difficult when in a group to get a great deal of benefit, other than than being taken to somewhere you don't know about. I did one in Mull in the summer, and to be honest, my wife learned a great deal, but because I was competent in what I was doing, he left me to get on with it, other than suggesting I try a couple of different views of the same shot. There were others in the group, some who had very little experience, so the guide was with them for a lot of the time.

To do it again I would pay extra and do 1:1 (or 2:1 with the Mrs as well), that way I feel I would get more of a benefit.

Thanks that is an interesting reply and kind of what I am concerned about, are you able to expand some more on what you initially hoped to get from the workshop and then what you felt like you got/didn’t get?

Yeah they definitely seem a few photographers who obliviously spend a lot on Facebook advertising etc and are running workshops day in day out all over the country and this is find a little off putting as he quaility of the portfolio is very standard, I guess there target market is mainly looking at those new to the hobby and will look at more the technical side in the honey pot locations

It's difficult when in a group to get a great deal of benefit, other than than being taken to somewhere you don't know about. I did one in Mull in the summer, and to be honest, my wife learned a great deal, but because I was competent in what I was doing, he left me to get on with it, other than suggesting I try a couple of different views of the same shot. There were others in the group, some who had very little experience, so the guide was with them for a lot of the time.

To do it again I would pay extra and do 1:1 (or 2:1 with the Mrs as well), that way I feel I would get more of a benefit.

Thank you for the reply, that is something I have been thinking about the benefits of 1:1 vs a group situation. I guess it com a down to the skill of the tutor and the individualisation they can offer, which certainly is not easy, would you say that your experience was based on the make up of the group being very need heavy vs your self, or just the tutor struggling to to be able to differentiate and offer you greater challenge and input?

Part of my consideration is to do the workshop some where new and then worst case is I have photographed somewhere new or have it somewhere I know better to allow me to focus on the areas I am most keen to, such as composition and getting away from the standard view landscapes to capture something more unique and ultimately better photos

As with any type of training, the best practitioners of a skill or discipline may not necessarily be the best teachers. Also, understanding the requirements of the students should be a major consideration; if the abilities of a mixed group vary a great deal then this can present a challenge for the tutor, particularly if it's just one tutor running the course with a large-ish group. It's easy to pitch in the middle, but this can leave beginners and/or advanced/semi-pro level attendees feeling somewhat ignored. Depending on my level of experience, I might be inclined to look for 1:1 tuition (or a small group of around 3 or 4 people per tutor) or a course where the attendees experience is assessed beforehand and the groups are put together from people with a similar level of experience. However, with a rather niche market like landscape photography workshops, I'm not sure how viable it would be for tutors to run courses on that basis?

Last edited:
I wish I had to time to reply in more detail but a serious family crisis has arisen and i have to attend to that. When i have more time I'll get back to it.
Absolutely no worries, hope everything is ok, definitely a lot more important things in life than replying to an Internet forum.

I have been on several Landscape workshops.

Went on a very well known photographers workshop, he had another tutor with him, ratio to tutors was about 6 to 1. I enjoyed the workshop as a whole, but did not seem to pick up much information. He did also take photos on location and we as a group have been mentioned in one of his books, In fact I have a very similar photo to the one in his book, but his is much better than mine, he was busy taking photos to impart what he was doing and the weather was really bad, so not much chance to do at group talk at that time. I have a few nice photos from that workshop

The best workshop was a 1 to 1 with Chris Herring, went to an area unknown to me at the time, came out with some new information. He spent some time going through how he worked. He did not take any pictures himself. The price was reasonable. I did not get any outstanding photos from the workshop due to the dull weather, but my understanding of what to do increased.
He has some nice photos on his website.

I was also on a local photographer workshop, only 3 people attended, he spent some time in a classroom, mostly seemed to show case his work (not just Landscape) then drove round to a few local places to take photos, when he had his camera out he seemed to forget about his pupils.Lucky it did not cost very much.

So you need to pick which workshops you go on very carefully. Figure out what you want to get out of the workshop and tell the tutor before hand.

He did also take photos on location and we as a group have been mentioned in one of his books, In fact I have a very similar photo to the one in his book, but his is much better than mine, he was busy taking photos to impart what he was doing and the weather was really bad, so not much chance to do at group talk at that time. I have a few nice photos from that workshop .

That throws up an interesting point about the workshop organiser using the time to create content to sell at a later date, at the expense of the content/time they have already sold. I wonder if this is unique to photography or happens in other situations as well, it does seem a little ethically wrong to my self, although I guess only an issue when the light is amazing, probably more inclined to just teach when there is not a book/portfolio shot offer :)

There can be some value towards to watching someone else work if they take the time to explain and teach thier processes, and bringing you along with the journey to develop their methodology, otherwise you might as well be watching a vLog.

I think I know what I would like to achieve, just now trying to find what looks the best way of achieving that, but this thread has thrown up some interesting discussion and definitely happy to continue hearing input on the whole workshop category.

Thanks

Thank you for the reply, that is something I have been thinking about the benefits of 1:1 vs a group situation. I guess it com a down to the skill of the tutor and the individualisation they can offer, which certainly is not easy, would you say that your experience was based on the make up of the group being very need heavy vs your self, or just the tutor struggling to to be able to differentiate and offer you greater challenge and input?

Part of my consideration is to do the workshop some where new and then worst case is I have photographed somewhere new or have it somewhere I know better to allow me to focus on the areas I am most keen to, such as composition and getting away from the standard view landscapes to capture something more unique and ultimately better photos

To put this in perspective (good pun eh? :) ) I have been messing around with SLR's & the like for a good 40 years, so my understanding of how a camera works, and what I need to do are pretty much there. In regards to Landscape, what I was looking for is advice on composure, using filters, and subject matter. Most of the group I was in didn't have tripods, some didn't understand the exposure triangle, and some some had similar knowledge to me.

I came away thinking that I hadn't learned that much, although he did look at a couple of shots from the back of the camera and suggest I take a slightly different viewpoint. My wife on the other hand came away with some of the best shots she's ever done, one of which we have framed. So, I guess I really needed to look at an "intermediate" workshop, rather than just a general one. Next time I will discuss what I want to achieve with the organiser before booking. That way I will have a better idea of what the output is likely to be.

To put this in perspective (good pun eh? :) ) I have been messing around with SLR's & the like for a good 40 years, so my understanding of how a camera works, and what I need to do are pretty much there. In regards to Landscape, what I was looking for is advice on composure, using filters, and subject matter. Most of the group I was in didn't have tripods, some didn't understand the exposure triangle, and some some had similar knowledge to me.

I came away thinking that I hadn't learned that much, although he did look at a couple of shots from the back of the camera and suggest I take a slightly different viewpoint. My wife on the other hand came away with some of the best shots she's ever done, one of which we have framed. So, I guess I really needed to look at an "intermediate" workshop, rather than just a general one. Next time I will discuss what I want to achieve with the organiser before booking. That way I will have a better idea of what the output is likely to be.

Thank you Jelster, having a conversation with providers is definitely something I plan on doing, I was at first concerned I might be of been looking in to a bit much but from the response here it has definitely shown that there is a wide range of workshop types and definitely worth taking the time to find the right type

Just someone who is 'famous' for workshops...
Obviously works well as a good business model for them though, sustains a landscape photographers dream of touring the country shooting. Also partly what got me wondering on there value as learning vs photography guide.

Just someone who is 'famous' for workshops...

I don't know them personally or indeed have attended one of theirs (I run my own but only 121) but he certainly runs a good business and takes good images and gets repeat clients - which speaks volumes actually. For a beginner wanting a phototour around an English national park in the north west he's probably ideal but has plenty clients who go back to him for 121 or small groups.

I don't know them personally or indeed have attended one of theirs (I run my own but only 121) but he certainly runs a good business and takes good images and gets repeat clients - which speaks volumes actually. For a beginner wanting a phototour around an English national park in the north west he's probably ideal but has plenty clients who go back to him for 121 or small groups.
No arguing with the business model if you're making money. For me though, the point of a workshop is not just for a 'photo tour' or to be taken places I could get to myself. I guess it is sufficient for some people to want to go back.

No arguing with the business model if you're making money. For me though, the point of a workshop is not just for a 'photo tour' or to be taken places I could get to myself. I guess it is sufficient for some people to want to go back.

Perhaps look for a tutor that does just 121's or is willing to take you out solo. There are plenty who do and a fair few on this forum who do just that. I'd suggest you approach a few and sound them out and make it clear what you want to work on (is it finding new locations in an area unfamiliar to you, is it a technical thing like filters, focus, exposure you really want to improve or post production or all 3)

Perhaps look for a tutor that does just 121's or is willing to take you out solo. There are plenty who do and a fair few on this forum who do just that. I'd suggest you approach a few and sound them out and make it clear what you want to work on (is it finding new locations in an area unfamiliar to you, is it a technical thing like filters, focus, exposure you really want to improve or post production or all 3)
I think you've misinterpreted my posts. I've no interest in a workshop if any description, just had a hunch that's who the person I quoted in my initial post was referring to.

I suppose it depends what you want to get out of it but I f I was paying money for a training / teaching and learning experience, in any field, I would ask 2 questions first.

1. What is your assessment process?

I would want to hear about pre-workshop diagnostic assessment, formative assessment and post workshop summative assessment. They might not know and use those terms, but that is what I would look for.

2. What targets do you set and how.

I would want to hear about SMART targets or something similar.

I f I didn't get the answers I was looking for then I would conclude that, regardless of their photography skills, they are not trainers at the standard I would require before parting with my cash and my time.

What is you ultimate goal? Do you need help in understanding composition or how to see the picture in the scene in front of you?
Whatever the reason you could get that for free via YouTube or attending TP meets. Plenty of us that will help for free.

I'm not saying workshops are worthless, some do find them helpful but you have to consider that the group will be a mixed bag of skills and like any classroom the tutor will spend way more time with the lower skilled students.

You are better off with a one2one where the tutor can cater to your current skill set.

Personally I've never attended a Landscape workshop, never felt the need. I'm no "expert" but I do alright. Part of the fun was just getting out there screwing up and learning from that.

All the workshops in the world will never beat just getting out there.

Last edited:

A large deviation form the sorting point. I guess there are a few select demographics who will go on workshops, those who are money rich and time poor are definitely a good target market, they probably could go get the photos they aspire to themselves but having a helping hand to say put your tripod here, oh lets go there as I know that will work are what they need as well as some technical guidance, will leave them going home happy and then later when they are struggling to recreate the form come back happy to book again knowing they will come home with photos they are happy with and see it as a good expense. sorry for dragging you further in Ian W, those type are workshops are definitely wha I was not after and was wondering if your first guessing post had more behind it, ;)

I suppose it depends what you want to get out of it but I f I was paying money for a training / teaching and learning experience, in any field, I would ask 2 questions first.

I would want to hear about pre-workshop diagnostic assessment, formative assessment and post workshop summative assessment. They might not know and use those terms, but that is what I would look for.

I f I didn't get the answers I was looking for then I would conclude that, regardless of their photography skills, they are not trainers at the standard I would require before parting with my cash and my time.

Guess your someone involved in education of some sort. Areas that are lacking in being obvious in a lot of the popular workshops, which is what lead me to asking about experiences. It could be that they simply lack a understanding in pedagogy but areas that are addressed in a less efficient natural way or simply something that has been overlooked in favour of the knowledge that if get this person to spot a, and take this photo I guide them to a perfect photo here approach.

What is you ultimate goal? Do you need help in understanding composition or how to see the picture in the scene in front of you?
Whatever the reason you could get that for free via YouTube or attending TP meets. Plenty of us that will help for free.

I'm not saying workshops are worthless, some do find them helpful but you have to consider that the group will be a mixed bag of skills and like any classroom the tutor will spend way more time with the lower skilled students.

You are better off with a one2one where the tutor can cater to your current skill set.

Personally I've never attended a Landscape workshop, never felt the need. I'm no "expert" but I do alright. Part of the fun was just getting out there screwing up and learning from that.

All the workshops in the world will never beat just getting out there.

Thanks Simon,

what I want is to help further develop and maybe speed up a process of moving away from the classical interpretations on views, to capturing something a bit more unique and better, going beyond the beautiful sky interesting foreground etc. a guess I am at that stage when I have seen a steady improvement in my photography for a while before now levelling out, coming away from days with less photos I personally happy, great photos to some but not having that something extra I am after, although I do not know what that is yet. So the workshop thinking was for something as simple of getting some advice in to seeing a picture where before I had not, and having a boost of inspiration and motivation to carry further on that journey

Have you thought of spending an evening or two looking through YouTube for suitable tutorials, then watching the ones that look suitable and pausing and taking notes when they teach you something new? Not as much fun as going out into the wild and taking photos under guidance and instruction, but a lot cheaper if your spare time isn't at a premium these dark nights and/or there's nowt on telly!

Last edited:
I guess there are a few select demographics who will go on workshops, those who are money rich and time poor are definitely a good target market, they probably could go get the photos they aspire to themselves but having a helping hand to say put your tripod here, oh lets go there as I know that will work are what they need as well as some technical guidance, will leave them going home happy and then later when they are struggling to recreate the form come back happy to book again knowing they will come home with photos they are happy with and see it as a good expense. sorry for dragging you further in Ian W, those type are workshops are definitely wha I was not after and was wondering if your first guessing post had more behind it, ;)

No more behind it other than that some have a business model which takes advantage of those with high disposable income and little time, resulting in the exact scenario you describe. A certain photographer came to mind, however having never been on any workshop (much less theirs), I can't confirm whether I'm right or wrong I'm afraid.

As others have said, You Tube can be invaluable or alternatively, buddy up with other photographers / TP members. It's amazing what you pick up in company of others :)

No more behind it other than that some have a business model which takes advantage of those with high disposable income and little time, resulting in the exact scenario you describe. A certain photographer came to mind, however having never been on any workshop (much less theirs), I can't confirm whether I'm right or wrong I'm afraid.

As others have said, You Tube can be invaluable or alternatively, buddy up with other photographers / TP members. It's amazing what you pick up in company of others :)

Did you mean Melvin Nicholson? He’s the only one I can think of with those initials - if you haven’t met him (or whoever it is) why put down their model when maybe you’ve got the wrong end of the stick?

I agree with your second point though. As far as workshops go I’m not convinced they can do much for experienced photographers (definitely worthwhile for beginners) - I think photographers really have to develop our own vision, a workshop will only tell you how someone else would approach a location. I know a photographer who’s already quite good but goes on workshops with the likes of Greg Whitton, Alex Nail but his photos aren’t getting better - I can only think what he does get is new locations and a safer way of getting to those (usually mountains). If you’re already half decent there’s not much you’ll learn though.

I’d say landscape photographers need to become really good at predicting the weather and knowing what works in different conditions, getting familiar with areas so you can be in the right places at the right times. Post processing skills are very important and overlooked too, as is the ability to separate the best and worst shots.

Last edited:
Post processing skills are very important and overlooked too, as is the ability to separate the best and worst shots.

This is something I have come to realise more and more recently. I have seen some "ok" shots transformed in to beautiful shots simply through processing techniques. Some people have a "style" of processing and it just works.

I have noticed that in the 5 years since I started that less is quite often more with regards to how much processing to do. I still have this huge annoyance of feeling I have to at least tweak every slider in lightroom at least 1 notch but i'm starting to overcome that :LOL:

Perhaps that's an area to explore and will give you the greatest benefit if you feel you are at good level technically? I know its something I would pay to do if it was offered by the right person.

Last edited:
if you haven’t met him (or whoever it is) why put down their model when maybe you’ve got the wrong end of the stick?

I'm not sure I follow? I stated I'd never met the person or been on their workshops and in fact suggested there was clearly nothing wrong with their business model as they were getting plenty bookings and of course, making money! If people are happy with what they're sold, all is good isn't it?

Anecdotal evidence suggests that they aren't the best at 'tuition' however, although I admit this is all I have rather than personal experience (and hence why I used initials rather than a full name).

As I said, I've never been on a workshop and don't have any intention of thing on one but if I did, it would very likely be someone with the experience you mention further down your post and likely in a 1-1 or worst 2-1 ratio.

Would you really learn anything on a workshop? (I've never been on one so can't say for sure). It seems to me to be the location and weather that are the biggest factors in landscape photography. So if you've got half an idea about photography and how your camera works, do you need someone else to tell you what you already know.
Location and time of day is so important, I can step out of my front door and take a photo of the trees and hills and although the photos may be technically good, they would be fairly uninteresting.
So it seems to me that what you would get out of a workshop is an interesting location, but then again that's something that you could find yourself.

I went on a David Ward workshop in Assynt. I’ve admired David’s beautifully composed pictures for years, so the opportunity to go on a workshop with him was too good to miss. It was just 5 of us plus David.

We went to some lovely locations, and his approach was one of gentle guidance rather than step-by-step instructions. Everyone on the workshop was fairly accomplished in their own right so we weren’t looking for exposure or aperture guidance, but more like understanding the refined compositional skills that David demonstrates.

Overall, the main thing I learnt could be explained in 5 minutes. Figure out what attracted you to something, and then work out how to take a picture of it that excludes all unneccessary elements. Easier said than done, but I started to figure it out after about a week!

David did take his own photos on the trip. What I would have liked more of was analysis and commentary on images at the end of each day, and how to adjust approach for the following day. One of the attendees was shooting film which would have made that a bit tricky though.

So, this one was expensive, but worth it.

Workshops vary wildly depending on the tutor and format. You will obviously learn the most on a 1-2-1, group workshops are more about the locations and the group camaraderie, particularly residential workshops but I would still expect a decent amount of personal tuition so I’d avoid large groups and read reviews to check whether the workshop is suitable.

As far as tutors taking their own photos, there’s no hard and fast right or wrong imo. As a tutor myself I find that a lot of 1-2-1 clients want me to shoot alongside them others don’t so I tailor the workshop to suit... on group workshops I use the camera to explain and demonstrate but personally I find there’s too much going on to have the time to take photos .

As far as tutors taking their own photos, there’s no hard and fast right or wrong imo. As a tutor myself I find that a lot of 1-2-1 clients want me to shoot alongside them others don’t so I tailor the workshop to suit... on group workshops I use the camera to explain and demonstrate but personally I find there’s too much going on to have the time to take photos .

There's a very good argument for the tutor taking their own photographs in that during downtime/bad weather the participants can see what the tutor has done in a very similar situation.

There's a very good argument for the tutor taking their own photographs in that during downtime/bad weather the participants can see what the tutor has done in a very similar situation.

Exactly, the tutor shooting as part of the tuition is fine... using the workshop to add to their portfolio at the expense of his clients... not so much!

Spoken like a true teacher! Although SMART targets with formative and summative assessments makes me think you're F.E ?

I think it helps to have a goal from the workshop. I went on a long exposure workshop last year and gained a great deal from it. Whilst I had done pre reading on the subject I had the doh moment when I couldn't work out why my exposures were wrong (I was counting click stops and had forgotten my camera was set up in 1/3 stop adjustments). Having an experienced photographer around quickly sorted that out [emoji3]. I also enjoyed working in a small group and found it helped to discuss with other participants what they were doing.

It's difficult to answer generically because everyone has a preferred learning style e.g. some people learn best by reading and then experimenting. Others like me learn best in a face to face situation being able to ask questions at the time.

Good luck with whatever you decide. BTW My event was with Chris Herring whom I recommend for a relaxed teaching style an great vfm

I agree with your second point though. As far as workshops go I’m not convinced they can do much for experienced photographers (definitely worthwhile for beginners) - I think photographers really have to develop our own vision, a workshop will only tell you how someone else would approach a location. I know a photographer who’s already quite good but goes on workshops with the likes of Greg Whitton, Alex Nail but his photos aren’t getting better - I can only think what he does get is new locations and a safer way of getting to those (usually mountains). If you’re already half decent there’s not much you’ll learn though.

I’d say landscape photographers need to become really good at predicting the weather and knowing what works in different conditions, getting familiar with areas so you can be in the right places at the right times. Post processing skills are very important and overlooked too, as is the ability to separate the best and worst shots.

Interesting thread this. Workshops are not a magic answer for turning a bad photographer into a good photographer. You don't just click your fingers one day and the next you are regarded as the best in the field. There is a process almost everyone has to go through. A process of failure, exploration and experimentation. It takes years of graft to turn your vision into a reality, assuming you had the vision in the first place. Some people don't. Some people do. It's taken David Ward some 35 years or so to reach the level he has and his workshops reflect those 35 years of learning. However, not every photo David takes is a masterpiece, in fact before he headed off to Africa I had a chat with him and he wasn't in a good place with regards to his own photography. He was in a trough. Of course, he has the knowledge and experience, together with the skillset, to manage this to a point. The key for most people is to get out often and keep shooting, come rain or shine. Even Tiger Woods can't take 6 months off and hit a hole in one with his first swing of the club.

Now, Scirocco :wave:, seeing as you've seen fit to name me directly (and Alex) in a negative context, I kind of feel I need to defend myself here :woot:. I'll also defend Alex as that was a poor choice of name drop. Alex specialises in leading people to places beyond the honeypots. He will put you in a place where you will potentially shoot something unique, that stands out in an oversaturated world of landscape photography. How many quality images do you see daily from the Drakensburg, or from the central Highlands of Iceland, or from atop the highest and wildest mountains of the UK? Not many. How many images do you see from the shores of Elgol, of a certain tree on Buttermere, or of Corfe Castle? Doubtless plenty. What you pay for on Alex's workshops is the opportunity to photograph the rarely seen, not the often seen. Alex does help clients with various technical aspects and with post-processing, but his 'focus' (pardon the pun) isn't really on developing the skillsets of the photographer. However, he can and actively will should the client need it. As an ex-client of Alex's myself, I can safely say that is the case.

In my case, I kind of fill a void between those who will provide a workshop visiting honeypots (or just a single location) and the likes of Alex. I mix the familiar with the unfamiliar. The emphasis is venturing beyond the car parks, off the bridleways and away from the main viewpoints. The success of that is largely driven by the physical capabilities of the workshop clients and time. You can only push the group as far as the capability of the weakest member. So, as often happens, compromise comes into play. I'm really not interested in teaching clients who don't know where the on/off button is on their new camera, or who don't understand the exposure triangle. All of my clients are expected to understand the basics of point and shoot. If they don't, then I can name several other photographers who can help them out in that regard. What clients are paying for when they book me is the first few steps away from the familiar. I try to build their confidence to venture off the beaten track, to explore new areas. I'll offer advice on equipment and equipment management, and general outdoor skills, if they need it. Not only what to take into the hills, but how and when to use it. I'll share my vision of what makes a good photograph, how to pick out the extraordinary from amongst the ordinary. I'll offer tips and advice on what they might need to achieve the shot to match their vision. Much like an earlier post that mentioned how David Ward helps you simplify, I teach people to slow down, to think about the image before they press the shutter. What are the distractions? Is the image balanced? Is there order amongst the chaos? Is it just plain sh*t? What can you do to improve the scene that first made you stop, look and take your camera out of your bag? Those are the types of lessons and services I provide. Generally Dawn to Dusk. I turn myself inside out for my clients. By the end of a weekend, I'm exhausted, physically and mentally...and often so are they.

And yet, at the end of it, the client may not get any decent images. That is the way it goes. Sometimes it just doesn't happen on the day. Sometimes they need to go away from the weekend, and think, and practice, and think...and practice. Then, they may come back, and you know, there is something very satisfying when they do and you see them implementing your teachings. You do see an improvement. You do see them being more efficient in how they take photos. You do see that they are choosing to not just shoot the big picture. You do see that they are making conscious decisions to eliminate aspects of a scene in the interests of better defining their vision. They are developing.

You can't judge a workshop leader on your perception of the quality of their clients images. ;) :pint:

Now, Scirocco :wave:, seeing as you've seen fit to name me directly (and Alex) in a negative context, I kind of feel I need to defend myself here :woot:. I'll also defend Alex as that was a poor choice of name drop.

Sorry if you thought that was negative Greg as it wasn't meant that way. I have a lot of respect for both of you, it obviously wasn't very well worded :)

Sorry if you thought that was negative Greg as it wasn't meant that way. I have a lot of respect for both of you, it obviously wasn't very well worded :)

No, it sadly wasn't worded very well, especially within the context of the overall post and the thread. Not to worry though, onwards and upwards! (y)

Back