Beginner Landscapes and filters

Edit My Images
Yes
OK, so after many fun filled hours walking about with my camera I have made a decision.

Once my cashflow allows, I shall be spending around £200-£300 on filters and associated equiment (the less the better). Two concrete buying decisions are;

A LEE 0.9 grad ND filter and a Hoya 52mm Pro-1 Digital Circular Polarizing Screw-in. I am undecided as yet which variable ND filter and filter holder to buy. These are the items I am looking for some advice on particularly.

The difference between the Cokin and the LEE filter holder is substantial (~£50), and as I am looking to pick up some other bits and pieces at some stage - camera rucksack etc. - the difference would be helpful if they are similar in quality.

Any advice appreciated, especially anyone who has experience of both holders.

Always worth buying larger circular screw in filters, you can fit them to smaller lenses with adapters, but you cant make them bigger of you buy a bigger lens in the future.

That's what i mean, with a large filter on a small lens you'l have no issues, but a small filter on a large lens will give vignetting and other issues so always worth buying a bigger filter for future-proofing.

Don't recommend variable ND filters, especially if you are using a wide-angle lens. At higher densities, a dark cross shape appears right across the image. They all do it, even the most expensive. They are also more prone to flare and sharpness issues. Get a normal fixed density ND filter.

Any vignetting issues?
If you're adapting a big filter to a smaller-thread ultra wide angle lens, then it may certainly vignette. But if it isn't all that wide - say, 28mm equivalent - you shouldn't have a problem.
Going the other way, though - adapting a small filter to a bigger thread, obviously causes vignetting.

Formatt Hitech seems like a nice balance between Cokin and Lee. Not as expensive as the Lee filters, holders and rings, but still highly regarded quality-wise. Don't know much about Cokin, though, and don't have any hands-on experience with either of the three.

Last edited:
OK, so after many fun filled hours walking about with my camera I have made a decision.

Once my cashflow allows, I shall be spending around £200-£300 on filters and associated equiment (the less the better). Two concrete buying decisions are;

A LEE 0.9 grad ND filter and a Hoya 52mm Pro-1 Digital Circular Polarizing Screw-in. I am undecided as yet which variable ND filter and filter holder to buy. These are the items I am looking for some advice on particularly.

The difference between the Cokin and the LEE filter holder is substantial (~£50), and as I am looking to pick up some other bits and pieces at some stage - camera rucksack etc. - the difference would be helpful if they are similar in quality.

Any advice appreciated, especially anyone who has experience of both holders.

The Cokin is known to colour cast. Brown or yellow, I believe.

The Lee set I use is the 0.9 Soft, 0.6 Hard, 0.6 Soft, 0.9 standard and the 10 stop bigstopper. I also use a CPL. For those times I don't want to have the hassle of the Lee system I carry a screw in variable ND and CPL.

The 3 stop ND is invaluable, probably the one I use the most for non-landscape. For landscape the essential is the 0.9 soft.

Hope this helps!

Don't recommend variable ND filters, especially if you are using a wide-angle lens. At higher densities, a dark cross shape appears right across the image. They all do it, even the most expensive. They are also more prone to flare and sharpness issues. Get a normal fixed density ND filter.

Agree, Hoppy, but the variable screw ins can be really useful for video as the exposure can be corrected purely by adjusting the filter. Plus they are pretty cheap anyway, might as well stick one in the bag!

Last edited:
Back