Laptop or Computer for PP etc

What do you use for general photography workflow/post processing on a regular basis?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

At the moment I've got a laptop(with Ubuntu etc for work/general) and a PC (Windows) which i use for mainly photography(photoshop,cataloging,lightroom etc). The problem is, the PC is in my home office/loft which I'm finding I cant be bothered to go up there and its an oldish PC that needs an upgrade.

So, how many of you use a PC for PP/Photography etc, VS a laptop? Thought I would post a quick Poll. Thanks

I would seriously consider buying a Mac over a PC. If budget is a concern then consider a second hand Mac over a brand new PC.....

That's a very sweeping statement. An old Mac potentially may be much slower than a new spec pc (the spec that normally gets recommended here for example).

Besides Mac doesn't do anything better than pc and visa versa when comparing similar specs. Unless software isn't available on whichever platform.

On topic.. Desktop over laptop. Better screens available, more upgrade options etc etc

I would choose a desktop, the screen is normally better. The way you can change the brightness of an image by simply moving your head a small amount with a laptop causes me problems when editing.

I use my MacBook and it's fine. I will admit that, when PPing in a big way, I had a dual screen set up on my PC which was very useful.

I am an Apple Fanboy tho.

I'll get my coat...

:D

Last edited:
The main difference between the two platforms is the robustness of the file system. All my computer life - I was into Windows - big time! When I crossed to the Mac platform nearly 5 years ago - it became a life changer for me ......... lack of near continuous updates, security, and all sorts of irritating time wasting issues and just a host of benefits on being Mac based...........just something to consider.....

I use a laptop with a dock plugged into a 30 inch monitor....

The main difference between the two platforms is the robustness of the file system.
Sorry. You lost all credibility by claiming something that just isn't the case.....

OP: desktop. MUCH easier to edit on a desktop - bigger and better screens available and more bang for your buck for spec.

I use a MacBook Pro but as it is only a 13" model I will be connecting it to a monitor to make it easier. I'm only using Lighroom as I am pretty new to all this PP lark. I can't compare Mac against Windows as I haven't tried editing in both.

I think I'd go the desktop route if I was starting again but I need a laptop for work and can't afford a dedicated desktop for phot editing just at the moment.

very poor article. complaining about automatic updates interfering with work when its completely avoidable with about 30 seconds in the update settings.

either way for the most part (bar important updates) its every other tuesday. my home machine running 7 gets switched on 2-3 times a week and rarely has any extra updates waiting beyond the usual schedule.

As Neil said, the Windows Update solution is simple. Configure it to download updates and notify you that they are ready to be installed.
I won't accept any argument that either platform is superior. Although one of those two competing platform costs significantly more.

Getting back on topic, I'd go desktop if post-processing/editing photographs for any period of time. Larger display, better ergonomics.

The larger form factor of a desktop also reduces cost and increases maintainability.

I use a laptop plugged into an external monitor most of the time - effectively working like a desktop. If I didn't need mobile computing then I'd certainly have a desktop-only system for reasons of performance at lower cost & ease of fixing/updating.

As for Mac/PC, I happily returned to windows use after 6 years with a Macbook, and I feel much less out of control than I did with OSX. Windows updates seem to happen about once a fortnight, although there are fresh antivirus updates daily. Just as I have done since XP, updates are set to notify me when available, and then I choose when they get downloaded and installed. Sure windows updates come along more often than Apple updates, but they tend to be much smaller. TBH I'd have said that the author of that linked article shouldn't really be involved in anything related to computer use if that's how they approach it.

Mac and PC argument aside. You can get similat computing power in a laptop (workstation laptops or gaming laptops) as in a desktop. The extra money you pay towards a laptop is for it being compact and also the screen keyboard and mouse etc that bundled into a laptop. Most of the time the laptop screens are not suitable for photography works.

However this can be averted by plugging the laptop into a good monitor.

Now back to the topic, so if you want mobile computing power on the go and ability to edit on the go then laptop is your only choice. Personally I hate Mac because they are overpriced, under specced, and over hyped. But people love them for their simplicity...

However if you are not constrained by travelling needs then a desktop would be ideal as it will be most kind to your wallet as well as offering opportunity to upgrade and future proof. And in terms of getting Mac as desktop..waste of money, again over priced, under speced and compatibility issue is always a problem when u upgrade its inners. More over, Mac has for years and eons been marketing it's computers for being good at photos and videos the fun stuff. But people get powerful PCs to also play games and to tweak (some times) to get extra value for the money. Mac isn't very good at those at all.

So the decision is yours

Have both, get a T series Thinkpad or a Dell Precision/Latitude laptop and buy the corresponding dock. I use this at both work and home and benefit from 2 x 24" ultrasharps and mobility when I need it.

I seriously cannot recommend it enough!

And no, macs certainly are not robust, don't get me started on WiFi dropouts and SMB/AFP bull**** that has taunted me for MANY months :(

Yeah, definitely PC for serious work. I mean, you can certainly do what you need to on a laptop (I used one for a while plugged into a screen with a mouse and keyboard), but for the same price you can get a much more capable desktop and it does make a difference when you're using it.

I also find, personally, that doing work on a desk in a set 'place' helps you to focus on the task at hand with fewer distractions.

Back