Laptop or Desktop

Hi Everyone
I'm just starting out but looking for advice on which would be better to get for a beginner a laptop or a desktop pc and spec dont want to spend loads and recommendations on photo editing software,
thanks
Jess

It all depends on your budget. Apple computers generally are more expensive than microsoft ones. Also on how much room you can make for a desktop and monitor not forgetting Keyboard and mouse with a mat.

With a desktop one can build up extras on a desktop such as adding more memory quite easily inside the computer case or even putting in a better graphics card later on. Something you would be struggling if possible with a laptop. As for editing Adobe elements is I think a good place to start. I still use version 14 and it is a stand alone editing suite not a monthly pay one.
I built my own desktop with parts from here who also do daily deals on complete computers

https://www.scan.co.uk/

Last edited:
It all depends on your budget. Apple computers generally are more expensive than microsoft ones. Also on how much room you can make for a desktop and monitor not forgetting Keyboard and mouse with a mat.

With a desktop one can build up extras on a desktop such as adding more memory quite easily inside the computer case or even putting in a better graphics card later on. Something you would be struggling if possible with a laptop. As for editing Adobe elements is I think a good place to start. I still use version 14 and it is a stand alone editing suite not a monthly pay one.
I built my own desktop with parts from here who also do daily deals on complete computers

https://www.scan.co.uk/

thanks will look at the site im going for a desktop pc now just deciding on what to get

Watch youtube videos, how to build a PC.

Then buy all the bits from Scan PC, run the parts list past one of their customer service guys to make sure it is all compatible.

Get the builders insurance with them in case you break something ( I never have and im rough and wear no anti static and have built dozens of them )

Scan aint cheap

You could purchase a refurbished HP 8200 Quad Core i7 3.40GHz PC 16GB RAM 2TB HDD Windows 10 Pro Desktop Computer for about £300

Last edited:
Scan aint cheap

You could purchase a refurbished HP 8200 Quad Core i7 3.40GHz PC 16GB RAM 2TB HDD Windows 10 Pro Desktop Computer for about £300

Nobody wants HDD anymore, that's likely DDR3 ram which again nobody wants these days, that Win 10 Pro is probably a one time code someone bought from ebay for £2.99 so not ideal, and probably an older i7. Cant upgrade it later so have to buy full machine again, you don't learn anything and I could go on all day but cant be bothered.

Right now do i go for a tower desktop or an all in one does anyone know if you can upgrade the ram on an all in one? thanks

By "all in one" I assume you meant one of those monitors with the computer built-in, like an Apple Mac?

Do you realise that if the monitor's glass screen gets cracked or the LED gets damaged, you would be sending the whole computer to the repair shop, and all you have left is just a keyboard and a mouse!

But if you buy a tower and a two monitors, should one monitor gets damaged, you can send the damaged one to the shop for repairs while you work on the other one. It does not take much work just to adjust the display setting to change from 2 monitors to 1 monitor. If your monitor is in shop for a week, you could do a lot of work with the 2nd monitor at home.

If you prefer one monitor but then one day upgraded it to a better monitor, you could always keep the old monitor as a spare. Just pack it up, put it away somewhere safe for emergencies, should the monitor you use get damaged, then send it to the shop for repairs while you get out the spare monitor.

Even better: You use one monitor, it gets damaged, you send it to the shop for repairs, but if a friend of yours happens to have a spare monitor, you could borrow temporary until you get your own back.

By "all in one" I assume you meant one of those monitors with the computer built-in, like an Apple Mac?

Do you realise that if the monitor's glass screen gets cracked or the LED gets damaged, you would be sending the whole computer to the repair shop, and all you have left is just a keyboard and a mouse!

But if you buy a tower and a two monitors, should one monitor gets damaged, you can send the damaged one to the shop for repairs while you work on the other one. It does not take much work just to adjust the display setting to change from 2 monitors to 1 monitor. If your monitor is in shop for a week, you could do a lot of work with the 2nd monitor at home.

If you prefer one monitor but then one day upgraded it to a better monitor, you could always keep the old monitor as a spare. Just pack it up, put it away somewhere safe for emergencies, should the monitor you use get damaged, then send it to the shop for repairs while you get out the spare monitor.

Even better: You use one monitor, it gets damaged, you send it to the shop for repairs, but if a friend of yours happens to have a spare monitor, you could borrow temporary until you get your own back.

Thanks for the advice going for a tower pc now and might get a laptop to take with me on holiday etc

Desktop all day long from me- although I also have a laptop and an iPad :)

Editing images can be a chore on a laptop- even with a 17" screen :( - you need to be ( well I do) sat at my desk in my office ( spare room upstairs)
and get away from the household Hussle and bustle to concentrate on editing & as previously stated I love my 36 inch monitor for image editing

Les :)

Your splitting hairs with both to be honest.
The difference is purely 8th gen i5 vs 9th gen i5 and gt1030 vs gtx1050 graphics and in day to day use neither of these differences will be evident.

Can I be a pain and suggest the below custom build for an extra £30 and for that your getting an SSD drive and 16gb ram.
Obviously extra external storage would be required but then folk rarely store their media on the main drives these days.
The extra ram will be beneficial too.

As a side note you could dismiss the graphics card and run off the onboard graphics for the time being.

Like I say it's just a suggestion though

Screenshot_20190923-202341.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d have to agree with the above, not looked at the build but 8gb ram May give issues, really want 16g RAM minimum.

An SSD will also be a massive boost in speed for startup and loading programs.

I’m sure a few on here would be kind enough to spec a base unit for you.

I’ve been out of the pc game for quite a few years now as running iMacs.

Maybe someone could offer advice on this for you ?

https://www.ebuyer.com/901423-punch...0g-ssd-win10-home-sff-desktop-pc-hdt-701-1026

Last edited:
thanks guys i went for the 8th gen one all ordered i will eventually upgrade the ram but i dont think i will need it straight away thanks

As a side note you could dismiss the graphics card and run off the onboard graphics for the time being.
Just noting that F suffixed CPUs lack a built-in GPU; this would be picked up on a pre-built spec, but could bite an inexperienced home builder.

Just noting that F suffixed CPUs lack a built-in GPU; this would be picked up on a pre-built spec, but could bite an inexperienced home builder.

I never knew that...... Cheers!
Everyday is a school day (y)

Back