Laptop Required

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I've already posted this on another forum I haunt but after many years as a dedicated desktop lover a change of circumstances means that I now require a laptop that when not in use will fold away out of sight and release desk space. Size is not a problem or battery size as it will never be moved. The ability to run Lightroom or equivalent is required but physical size and battery capacity is irrelevant. I already have a 10 year old Lenovo which is doing stirling work as an email machine but bulks at anything else. An all in one would be great naturally but would need to fold away out of sight and take little space when not in use and be ready in minutes as I don't have the choice to assemble things. If I had the room I could just move my desktop and photo screen down! but unfortunately this is not a current option.
Not an easy question but any suggestions will be very gratefully received.
Peter

Budget required - this affects recommendations as much as anything else. Also will you plug in to an external screen or rely on the laptop screen?

Dell G7 7790 17.3". The screen is big enough to be comfortable if you don't have room for an external monitor and it is decent IPS quality.

Add in:
6 Core i7
16Gb RAM
1 x 256Gb SSD
1 x 1Tb SATA
6Gb Nvidia GeForce graphics card

Bought from the Dell Outlet and using their discount voucher (top of the Outlet page) it comes in at around £950.

Budget around £600 and it'll have to be just the laptops screen as it'll need to fold away to save space which is critical. I have spare screens and even a base until but can't afford the space for anything that can't just be quickly folded away.
Peter

I've already posted this on another forum I haunt but after many years as a dedicated desktop lover a change of circumstances means that I now require a laptop that when not in use will fold away out of sight and release desk space. Size is not a problem or battery size as it will never be moved. The ability to run Lightroom or equivalent is required but physical size and battery capacity is irrelevant. I already have a 10 year old Lenovo which is doing stirling work as an email machine but bulks at anything else. An all in one would be great naturally but would need to fold away out of sight and take little space when not in use and be ready in minutes as I don't have the choice to assemble things. If I had the room I could just move my desktop and photo screen down! but unfortunately this is not a current option.
Not an easy question but any suggestions will be very gratefully received.
Peter

Any laptop will do fine, just as long as you aim for as much memory as you can afford, aim for a minimum of 8GB of RAM, and depending on your budget, try to aim for as high as you can go. 16GB would be good, 32GB would be great. And also, just aim for a larger SSD, preferably a minimum of 1TB or more, the higher you can go, the better. Just worry about those two most important bits, making sure you have more RAM and more disk storage space as you can afford.

I would echo the above, especially the SSD. I've also found from my own experience that an i5 or above is worth the extra cost, although there's all sorts of generations.

Not sure if it's something which bothers you but I find some laptops have keyboards which just don't feel right, the spacing etc is very different from a desktop keyboard. Might be worth popping into Currys (are they open yet?) to see what I mean.

I also like to have a numerical keypad but that's a personal choice.

Back