Laptop very slow.

nilagin

Daniel-san
Suspended / Banned
Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
My mother in law's laptop is very slow to start up. It doesn't appear to need defragging as there is 80% free space. I was going to attempt a disc clean up but it's taking ages to scan what needs cleaning up. Any suggestions what else I could try. I'm no IT expert so my knowledge is very limited.

probably got loads of stuff running at start up, or even a virus.

has it got loads of icons in the bottom rhs next to the clock?

if you know what you are going, you could go to msconfig.exe and have a look under the startup tab to see whats loading up

(this is all assuming we arent talking about a 486 33mhz with 64mb of RAM :) )

I've uninstalled the anti virus software and reloaded it and it seems ok again at the moment.

Worth checking for file system errors too. right click the drive for properties and choose tools > error checking and schedule a thorough check.

If it is runing Norton Antivirus, that is your problem. I HATE Norton :bat:

Norton Antivirus makes everything run at a crawl. I've removed it off all my 5 computers and most of my clients computers and installed AVG free. It works really well and doesn't affect the speed of the PC.
ANOTHER NORTON HATER.

It was actually running avg free, but kept saying it was turned off. Once I'd managed to uninstall it then install again, everything was back upto speed. I swear by avg as well, been using it for years with no trouble.

Back