Laptop

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I have come to the end of my affair with macs, I need an alternative medium for post processing or just storage. Old Mac book pro upgraded as much as I can afford, old iMac G5 limited upgrade due to no intel Plus 4tb LaCie.
I just want an alternative ( not bothered by make) machine to use to download and store images and attempt minor post processing.
I am not totally against apple but they seem now to bring iOS updates out so regularly that my older gear gets left behind and is stopping me taking the image in the 1st place

I Think you will find that Microsoft are doing the same.
The next level of Intel processors will only be supported by Windows 10.
Older equipment loses out by lack of drivers.

I Must admit I get totally fed up with updates taking over your machine when you most need it. I know updates can be turned off, but that risks other problems.

Pete

I have been costing windows equivalents and by the time I get what I think I "need[emoji30]" to update, I am back to a lower spec Mac book pro [emoji57]. I will see what is about and maybe go back into apple mode[emoji57]

Theres always linux - which has the advantage of being both free and small , and will run happily on many older computers where windows has died of sloth, okay so the software can be an issue but darktable is a pretty good alternative to lightroom , gimp for photoshop, scribus for indesign , open office for MS office etc

Theres always linux - which has the advantage of being both free and small , and will run happily on many older computers where windows has died of sloth, okay so the software can be an issue but darktable is a pretty good alternative to lightroom , gimp for photoshop, scribus for indesign , open office for MS office etc
This. Open source software is pretty mature these days, and improves all the time. I run several such apps on W10, and have a reserve older desktop as well running Linux Mint (it's neat!), which also has a scsi card to run my scanner via Vuescan (which I don't particularly like, but it works). And if Gimp finally achieves both 16-bit adjustment layers and cmyk, it'll be the bee's knees ...

I have been costing windows equivalents and by the time I get what I think I "need[emoji30]" to update, I am back to a lower spec Mac book pro [emoji57]. I will see what is about and maybe go back into apple mode[emoji57]

The cost might be the same, but how does the spec compare?

You can always run WINE on a Linux setup and run some of your much needed windows software from there. I personally haven't used it, but its apparently very compatible, might be worth a stab

The next level of Intel processors will only be supported by Windows 10.
Older equipment loses out by lack of drivers.

Kaby Lake isn't launched until 2nd half 2016 and I'd be upset if a new machine DIDN'T have windows 10 at that point.

if the hardware worked on 7 then chances are it'll work on 10 in my experience. anything older than that is to be expected.

I Must admit I get totally fed up with updates taking over your machine when you most need it. I know updates can be turned off, but that risks other problems.
hardly, update tuesday is every other tueday so every 14 days has potential for new updates.

Kaby Lake isn't launched until 2nd half 2016 and I'd be upset if a new machine DIDN'T have windows 10 at that point.

if the hardware worked on 7 then chances are it'll work on 10 in my experience. anything older than that is to be expected.

hardly, update tuesday is every other tueday so every 14 days has potential for new updates.

The updates between Apple and Microsoft show the power of the Apple Marketing machine. Somehow, people have been convinced that Apple not patching things regularly is a good thing, genius.

hardly said:
As I use Windows, Apple, Ipads and Android apps either at work or home, and not forgetting Flash, Java, Firefox, I seem to be always updating stuff.

flash and java are full of security flaws and firefox is full of bugs so be grateful theyre updated often ;)

perhaps they could fix them and just role that update out once..

the build quality is for s*** on those though - i looked at one when i was shopping for laptops but wouldnd up going with a reconditioned i5 thinkpad from morgan

Back