Large Format photography group - From "zero to hero!"

Last time out I took my digital camera, 28mm, 24mm tilt shift, 17-35 2.8, tripod and Sinar 4x5 monorail, 90mm f8, 210mm f8, 7 double dark slides, second tripod for the 4x5, light meter, loupe focussing cloth, filters. It was very, very heavy going. I also undoubtedly looked like an idiot. Weather dependant I will probably be doing the same tomorrow.

As said really, digital for me is now simply a "just in case something goes wrong with the film" option, or for when conditions are so harsh as to make LF impossible, high wind and rain mainly. Even then, the D700, 24-70 and 70-200 weigh a lot! Also, for my landscape work now, if the shot isn't good enough for LF, I don't even take the bag off my back.

So how do the chamonix cameras stack up against the rest in terms of build quality and rigidity? I kinda have my heart set on an ebony, but a cheaper option would be logical.

I don't know about others; sadly I've never seen any other LF cameras out in the real world (with the exception of once seeing a large 8x10 Wilderness). From what I've read on other forums ebonys are very well made so I would suspect the build quality betters my Chamonix. However I've never had any issues with mine, I tend to set up a photo before sunset and take the exposure during the twilight (shutter time ranging from 1 to 15 minutes) and camera remains rigid the entire time - other than when I'm bumping into the tripod! But I'd think moving from a Shen Hao to a Chamonix would be a sideways step given that there aren't any major differences between them.

Last edited:
New to the site and I also use LF. I have a Horseman monorail which is a terrific camera with every movement you can think of but it weighs quite a bit. For general landscape I use an old MPP technical camera. It is a hybrid of various bits, a MKVII front standard and bellows, a MKIII body and a MKV back which has been adjusted to work with international film holders.
The MPP is now in bits as I'm building a new hardwood body and back for it which could take a while.
For printing I use a floor standing DeVere 504 which is stupidly massive.

I love my Sinar 4x5

Process my stuff at home with the Mod54

Here is my baby below :)

vkdq.png

Is there enough interest for a large format meet for all those folk with an LF camera to have a look at different makes and also the opportunity for TP'ers that are interested in having a go with an LF camera to come along and have a try?

Ooh! Interesting.....no, no, stop it, can't afford to spend on LF....wife will kill me.....

Very keen for an LF meet! Would be a great opportunity for us to get together as well as those out there keen to try it! Lets make this happen.

Ooh! Interesting.....no, no, stop it, can't afford to spend on LF....wife will kill me.....

Might be selling my Shen hao at some point... Interested?! :D

Last edited:
^^^ Pure evil......

Is there enough interest for a large format meet for all those folk with an LF camera to have a look at different makes and also the opportunity for TP'ers that are interested in having a go with an LF camera to come along and have a try?

I'm interested - subject to time/date/location.

Very keen for an LF meet! Would be a great opportunity for us to get together as well as those out there keen to try it! Lets make this happen.

I'll stick up a 'meet' thread and see how much interest there is.

^^^ Pure evil......

It is isn't it :LOL:

I'm interested - subject to time/date/location.

I'll see who's interested and where folk are based and try and find somewhere and a date that's suitable. Obviously we are all spread around the country but I'll do my best.

No,not yet. I really need to get to grips with MF before I move onto the big stuff.:LOL:

I will almost certainly give it a try in the future though so a meet would definitely be a good idea.

Andy

Not wanting this thread to fall into the pages of history, I thought I'd change the direction slightly and ask, where do people get their LF film? Populating a list of decent suppliers might be a good idea?

Personally, I get my Acros from JapanExposures as it seems to be the only place to get it now! They also sell Velvia 50 if anyone is interested... :)

They do, and it only costs you both arms and legs for a box. I tend to use maco direct for most of my stuff at the moment, not the cheapest but they've always had everything in stock unlike others

Have you seen adox have released CHS 100 II? Looks like it'll be good when you can get hold of some

My first port of call is eBay now. Got some porta off there last week for £30 a box. Black and white seems just as expensive as anywhere else, silverprint are ok and close by if I need some fast.

If anyone is interested, here's the link

portra 160

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting. I'd always discounted ebay in the past for various reasons, but that is rather cheap indeed!

Very excited about the new Adox... I just hope they release a new ISO25 version as well. Still got a box of CHS25 in the freezer... It's been stored in plastic bags, sealed and what not, I just hope the non-frost-free freezer has not killed it :( ...Should be alright shouldn't it? :(:thinking: All my other stuff in there (acros and astia) are foil sealed so they'll be fine either way.

Hopefully your stash will be ok.

Unlike my almost full (48 sheets) box of Tmax 100 that I found floating in 2" of water in salad box at the bottom of the fridge. The box of film was bagged but the damp had got it. I left the box out for 2 weeks to let it all dry out.

When I dared check it out the sheets in the opened package (23 sheets) they were all stuck together making horrible tearing noises as I tried to separate the sheets. I haven't yet tried the unopened package (25 sheets).:crying:

Most of my 5x4 film has been purchased 2nd-hand but I have bought Adox Planfilm from Silverprint.

What's shipping like from these folks? Are they quick and cheap? I've just seen they do the new Silvermax developer so I might put a little order together.

Shipping was quick but not particularly cheap. I have checked my last invoice from them and I was charged 12 euros + 19% german vat for a film order of about 70 euros. I paid by paypay and seem to recall that they add a shipping surcharge if you pay by this method.

Thanks, they certainly have a good selection and reasonable prices even with that shipping charge.

Does anyone know of anywhere in the midlands that stocks linhof technica fit lens boards that I could buy off the shelf? I've just bought the wrong sized panel and want it use a new lens tomorrow :(

anyone used a roll film holder in their 5x4's?

i got a 6x9 holder for 120 film but cant work out how to use it! I loaded it up with film ok but the darkslide just seems stuck, i wind the film on and it randomly seems to let me slide it out. The winder locks in position when it winds the film on enough for me to take the shot, but the darkslide wont pop out! There must be something im missing. I tried googling some instructions for it but not luck so far.

If i pop out the film cartridge so its just a skeleton, the slide goes in and out all the time. So something is defenitly locking it in place. It could just be broke i guess but i got it from a reputable shop.

What model is it? I have a 6x9 for my MPP and now a 612 for my chamonix and in both cases the dark slide simply slides out. It may be there is an interlock that you haven't spotted that stops the darkslide releasing when the camera is it attached, or there's a physical catch that to have to undo?

It might just be that it's a little stiff when the whole thing is put together and it'll get better with use?

I tend to buy short dated / out of date stock so its worth kkeeping an eye on 7day shop who ocassionally have disounted 5x4 film as have silverprint and Teamwork Digitail in the past.

Keep an eye on ebay for short dated film last year I picked up 200 odd sheets of Velvia 100 5x4 from Genie Imaging and when I noticed 10x8 Provia about I asked All Photos in Worthing what they could do and got 11 20 sheet boxes at 96 all in a box, they stock 5x4 on the shelf and are good for chemistry too.

Typically a lot of Uk LF photographers buy in bulk from the states even with shipping tax etc its way cheaper than Uk prices most often B&H and Badger Graphics get mentioned as very professional outfits to deal with do not waste your time with Unique Photo peopl speak highly of them when they visit the store from a mail order pint of view I found them to be an utter waste of time.

I'm struggling a bit still with LF.

I got a lovely Toyo deluxe from Richard on this forum a few months ago, but still havent progressed much with it.

The problem for me is that I learn best through practice and trial and error. But I'm a little cautious about experimenting due to the cost of 5x4 film.

I've seen on ebay reducing backs for Wistas that enable 120 film to be used on them. My questions is:

Are these universal or would I have to get a Toyo one?

My intention would be to buy one and run several 120 films through it to learn how to use the camera. Once learnt the basics I imagine I could resell the back for almost what I pay for it.

I realise there will be a big crop, but imagine I could mask the glass back to represent 120 film size.

Is this a reasonable way to practice cheaply or am I missing something?

Thanks

well i got my 120 film back sorted out finally, it had an incorrect darkslide in it that would lock in place when you wound film on!

Anyway, to try and answer a couple of those q's

The glass on my Wista has the 9X6 size marked out on it so you can see where the image will go when you're focusing, i dont need to tape anything off, i'd assume if the camera let you stick a 120 holder in then they'd be marked up too?

It really is a small size though compared to the 5x4 neg's and you'd be better off learning the camera with a full size image on the glass. You don't need to shoot film for focusing practice anyway and you really need to see that large image to really get an impression of what the camera can do and to see what effect your adjustments make.

I tried using a replacement ground glass from another make of camera in my Wista thinking it would improve the image i see but it made it quite a bit worse so I would be loathe to risk any old 120 holder in there in case it didnt line up with the focus plane correctly.

Personally, the main issues people have with using LF come before you even stick the film holder onto the back of the camera - IE, getting used to the movements. If you have a loupe, then for me, one can practice using the camera to their hearts content without shooting a single frame. If you don't have a loupe, I'd strongly suggest getting one.

Failing that, maybe just look for some heavily OOD sheet film and shoot that? Failing that, perhaps just bring in the camera movements slowly over time? I started off with simply using the tilt, then started using front rise/fall and front shift. Tilt it about the hardest part to get used to imho, so some 'dry' practice with this with a loupe would be worth while imho.

I'll stick my Oar in if I may.

I shoot LF film on a Canham MQC 5x7 (I also have a 4x5 reducing back for it) it is a very lightweight folding Metal Camera shots of a similar one here much lighter than traditional 5x7 wood cameras.

I get a lot of my film from macodirect.de they have a minimum order and £15 postage but are very reasonable if you are ordering a lot of sheet film, also they do films others don't stock often.

For something to practise on you could try some Fomapan 100 Classic 5x4", for 50 sheets these work out at about 70p per sheet (from UK suppliers). I quite like this stuff developed in Rodinal.

Here's one I prepared earlier :)

Tulip by wickerman6, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice all.

Thats a beautiful print David. Looks like Fomapan is the way to go.... I just need to 'man up' and get stuck in.

Hopefully will be able to post some results in a few weeks time. :)

Back