• Some other place and time

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
This meet will now be Sunday 27th October.

Although this is a large format film meet that doesn't mean that you can't turn up unless you have one but be prepared for an awful lot of hanging around, it's slow process :LOL:

I'll post up more details nearer the day, meeting places, times etc. Depending on work I may go down the day before and camp somewhere local, preferably close to a pub :beer:

More info can be found here Westonbirt

The nearest station is Kemble and we'll try to sort out lifts for folk arriving on the train.

8487583324_cf2a4db2b3.jpg
[/url]
Dungeness iPhone-12 by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/IMG]

Apologies for the iPhone pic ;)

It seems like there are quite a few LF users on here so I'm proposing a meet up where the users of 5x4 and larger film formats can get together to discuss all things Linhof, Sinar and Shen Hao related.

Also, for all those interested in LF but haven't been able to have a go with one come along and see what they're like to use.

As soon as I can see how much interest there is and where everybody is based I'll pick some dates and a location and stick up a poll with some choices. If you are up for the meet it would be useful to know where you're based so I can try and pick somewhere as convenient as possible but as I'm based in London it's unlikely that I'lll be choosing Ilkley Moor or Ben Nevis ;)

Also, if you already know that there are dates you definitely cannot make stick it down in your post and I'll try and work around it.

I'll post this up in the meet up thread and see if I can drum up some interest from the confirmed digital users as well.

So hopefully coming along the the LF meet are:-

Me
Raathistle
Woodsy & Nikki
Andy Snap
That Rob Hooley
Stephen M
Strappy
Mr Bump
Sectionate
Markmullen
Essexash
Abbandon
Nod
Snapper73
JakeT1992
sjh2008

Last edited:
Definitely interested in this Nick, it'd be great to catch up with the other LF shooters and compare notes. I'm based in nottingham, but that means I can get to nearly everywhere pretty much.

Given its a LF meet i suspect people will be hoping its a meet with somewhat limited traipsing around which might limit options for locations?

Also, what camera is that? It looks very close to my Deardorff :)

Definitely interested in this Nick, it'd be great to catch up with the other LF shooters and compare notes. I'm based in nottingham, but that means I can get to nearly everywhere pretty much.

Given its a LF meet i suspect people will be hoping its a meet with somewhat limited traipsing around which might limit options for locations?

I'd like to think we could combine somewhere easily accessible, with options for interesting landscape shots, maybe some architecture for those with lots of adjustments, with a convenient cafe and pub that sells proper beer.

Asking too much do you think?

Also, what camera is that? It looks very close to my Deardorff :)

The camera is a Nagaoka, which I bought from Eddie Bray last year, it's light but doesn't have a lot of movement available but it's enough for me as I'm just getting started in LF.

Cotswolds? Tbh I will turn up for the opening of an envelope so anywhere that's do-able in a day is fine by me.

Andy

I'd be up for heading along so that I can get to grips with a couple of different systems before I decide to throw some money at one.
Location wise, anywhere I can get a train to or catch a lift from someone to would be great (y)

Sussex based, but willing to travel. Ben Nevis is fine at the beginning of June - I'm usually there :)

Count me in too, please. The Cotswolds are about 20 miles from here so it'd be ideal :)

i'm up for playing with some really big cameras....i can bring cider

As a rough ballpark, when are we potentially thinking of doing this? Also, can I make a pre-emptive request that it not be on the 2/3 or 9/10 of November? :)

Nick, I think Jonathan was hoping *NOT* the 9-10 Nov... is that the only date that works for you?

Also, would anyone coming along wwho is there to try it out like to split the cost of some film? 20 Provia is about £70, 25B&W is £30, Negative is about £40

As a practical question, if anyone is going to try it out, what happens to the exposed film? I leave mine in the darkslides until I get back and then transfer them to an old film box until I'm ready to process. When I started without an empty film box, I just put the sheets in a developing tank to keep them dark.

It may be that a changing bag/changing tent and several empty film boxes may be needed. Then there's the question of getting them processed. My local lab doesn't like processing sheet film and charges accordingly (£5 a sheet, black and whit or colour).

Well, personally, I'll have my dark bag with me, and if people want to fire a frame on mine, a quid per sheet of B&W (if they want to use my film - Acros 100) will suffice and I'll dev, scan and send it on for free.

I can't make it that far south unfortunately as I am based in the North East, BUT I will see if I have any spare film knocking about and if so will donate it to the cause. For some reason I think I may have a few sheets of well expired (June 2012) HP5+ and some sheets of in date Adox 100. I will have a look and if I have anything will post it to one of the attendees and if anyone wants it they can keep the box afterwards for storing their used film.

I'll get back in a day or so after having a look in the cupboards.

I work shifts so dates need to be worked out, will it be planned as an overnight event, that works for me. not to fussed about costs per se and very happy to throw in for film not a problem.

Thanks for the really kind offer, it is more of a family thing so I am gutted but will have to pass this time, but maybe next time if this goes well?

Will get back about the film tomorrow hopefully. The only caveat is that I have never used it myself, so can't vouch for how good it is (if at all). At the same time I now have acquired so much there is not much chance of me using it all so I am happy to send some on for the meet.

I would happily and you some money for a sheet or two of slide film (if I can attend), as it is something I really want to try it our large.

Shame you can't join us, would be good to me you :(

I know, I am pretty gutted myself.

In respect of slide film I think I might have some expired Provia (I say 'I think' as I definitely have a box but I don't know if there is anything in it!) Even if there is any again it might not be much use to anyone as it is 12 months post expiry.

I will have a check and if there is anything there will get it posted so if anyone wants to risk it they are free to have a go. I have still got 20 sheets of Velvia 100, 8 of Ektar, 10 of Portra 160 and 25 of Delta 100 to get through so cant see me getting through these any time soon with my current prolific rate of 2 photos per outing.

I know this may seem a bit soon after the other film meet but how do folk feel about the last Saturday in October?
There should still be some autumn colours and there's half a chance of reasonable weather. The first 2 weekends in November are out plus daylight is getting a bit scarce halfway through the month.

So would the 26th be any good?

I'm up for this depending on the when and where. Got no holidays left so a weekend would suit.

If its to be the Cotswolds Westernbirt is quite traditional it might pay to cross post this on the UK Large Format Forum as people might then get to see a wider range of cameras.

I can drag Sinar in 10x8 5x7 5x4 in Norma F and or P form along.

If anyone wants a go with 10x8 slide I never buy in date so the last batch of Provia from 12 costs me about 5 a sheet which I can develop and dum scan myself and if anyone wanted I could print the result in up to 44" wide at cost. I'll try and bring a couple of silly size prints along so people can see what LF is capable of.

I think any weekend should be fine for me. I've got a load of holiday to use anyway so I might make a long weekend of it dependent on when we go for

I've added a poll, if folk can opt for a date and a destination that would be good.

I don't really know anything about the Cotswolds area and what suitable destinations would be but have tried to pick destinations that are accessible by car as well as by train without changing a gazillion times.

As mentioned in an earlier thread Westonbirt might be be a good choice, there should still be some autumn colour for those that like to shoot with that modern stuff.

So there's Kemble for Westonbirt, Moreton in the Marsh, Cheltenham and a bit further afield but fairly easy to get to by all transport types Chepstow.

I've not really been to any of these places other than for work but am happy for other suggestions to be made.

I'm sure there'll be enough people turning up in cars if we need to sort out transport to Westonbirt but if not there's plenty of taxi's and even a bus service for those old enough to have a bus pass :LOL:

Hooray, I voted first, does that mean I win?

I voted for Moreton in the Marsh as it's got the most Cotswold-ian name of the options available. :)

I also voted for 26/10 and 23/11 as they're most convenient, though I could probably make the 16/11 too if pushed. So I'm not too fussed about dates.

I should be able to make whatever date it ends up as, but just in case anyone is not to far from Sussex tomorrow as the weather looks to be still I'll be draggibng the F2 10X8 about Sheffield Park.

Its a bit quieter in September it gets nearly impossible in October

Nice reflections to be had if you feel so inclined this is from a couple of years back about this time of year.

5015512377_2905dd7a7f_z.jpg

Hurt your browser you know you want to.

That's very nice, I've never been to Sheffield Park, I've just done quick search and looks like it needs to be added to my list.

Right! Since the most popular place and date are Westonbirt and 26th October I think we should go with that. It will give us a chance to get the cheapest train tickets and do a bit of pre-trip planning.

If those that are coming can let me know I'll add a list to the OP and maybe we can sort out lifts for those that need them etc.

Back