Last Light on Wasdale

Superb, it's really got the essence of Wasdale for me

Love that. Amazing pov and light obviously.

Gaz

I'm going to be a big hyper-critical on what is actually a lovely shot. Hope you don't mind. It's only because it's so near to being really amazing.

Firstly, gorgeous light and timing. Secondly, excellent location! On the downside, the composition feels a bit "squashed" vertically, and a bit odd. The right hand third isn't doing anything and the close grass on the right "looms" a bit too much and dominates. The mountain on the right is a little dull compared to the much more interesting mountains in the middle. And the puddles are a bit messy looking, a bit like a potholed council car park. Lastly the top quarter is just bare sky, lacking the drama of the lovely lit clouds below.

However, you have all the elements of a stunning image which, with a bit more compositional fiddling, is right there. Were I there on site with you in this light, I'd have been tempted to eliminate quite a lot from the scene to focus on the areas of key interest. The two lit grass tufts at the water's edge are great - maybe being closer into them, slightly long shutter to get some movement in them to describe the dynamism of the landscape if it was a bit breezy. And you've already got their positions echoing the two peaks in the distance. I'd also eliminate the area to the right, and the bare sky at the top.

You could crop in what you already have but I can't help but feel there's gold there if you had adjusted your position a bit.

As I said though, it is still a really good picture :)

I'm going to be a big hyper-critical on what is actually a lovely shot. Hope you don't mind. It's only because it's so near to being really amazing.

Firstly, gorgeous light and timing. Secondly, excellent location! On the downside, the composition feels a bit "squashed" vertically, and a bit odd. The right hand third isn't doing anything and the close grass on the right "looms" a bit too much and dominates. The mountain on the right is a little dull compared to the much more interesting mountains in the middle. And the puddles are a bit messy looking, a bit like a potholed council car park. Lastly the top quarter is just bare sky, lacking the drama of the lovely lit clouds below.

However, you have all the elements of a stunning image which, with a bit more compositional fiddling, is right there. Were I there on site with you in this light, I'd have been tempted to eliminate quite a lot from the scene to focus on the areas of key interest. The two lit grass tufts at the water's edge are great - maybe being closer into them, slightly long shutter to get some movement in them to describe the dynamism of the landscape if it was a bit breezy. And you've already got their positions echoing the two peaks in the distance. I'd also eliminate the area to the right, and the bare sky at the top.

You could crop in what you already have but I can't help but feel there's gold there if you had adjusted your position a bit.

As I said though, it is still a really good picture :)

Thanks for your input. I have several different shots from different angles around here, this is just the one I happened to process and had lying in my Dropbox. I'll dig them out (they were taken back in August) and see if any match your suggestions.

Back