Last moment body advice

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks.

I am before the big (for me) purchase. Going to Fx and so far I have picked and got funds for D810. Body will mainly be used for people - parties, birthdays, engagements, weddings and so on.

Just want to ask what would you buy if you were in my shoes - D810 or perhaps D750? D850 is out of the question as it's just too expensive.

I know differences on paper between 810 and 750, just would like some input from more oriented folks on here.

I have two days to make final choice. After body I will be getting some lenses, for sure 70-200 f/2.8 and 35 - not sure if I'll need 1.4 or if 1.8 will be enough, but got time till February next year to make a choice in that regard.

I know both bodies are great and I won't be disappointed with any of them, but some final thoughts shouldn't do any harm I think.

If this is important, for now I have trusty 50mm 1.8g and two V860IIN on the way. Should have bought Godox instead of SB700 (like I was advised here btw) but we live and learn...

Thanks in advance for input.

Regards
Tom

I love my 810 - it's brilliant.

That said, I do miss the user functionality of my D7200 - which I believe is the same as the D750 - switching between u1 and u2 etc.

From what I have read, the D750 is superior in low light (iso performance) compared to the 810. I have no AF issues with my 810 and it is a joy to use, but certainly a much more focused camera in comparison to my D7200.

It is a tough one.... I'd be inclined to recommend the D750, if you are planning to be a general / casual user.

I would go for the D810, I used it's predecessor the D800E for years and loved it. I just didn't need the heft of it plus the big lenses I had anymore so moved on. But, the D810 is very attractive. I would say it beats the D750 in every way apart from wi-fi, if that's important, and of course size and weight. It has faster shutter speed [1/8000 vs 1/4000] and better flash sync speed [1/250 vs 1/200] it is also rated at a higher shutter life cycle - it is the more 'pro' camera

Good luck deciding, never easy I know! But I reckon you'll be happy enough with either one

No point wasting my breath ( or typing in this case ) but I think the smart move going into 2nd half of 2018 is to have patience and wait for the Nikon FX camera releases due and hove a look at their grey price assuming that is the way you are going.

The 750 and 810 are great but they are getting on now and they have been the same price for what seems like several years at about 1000 and 1600 ish.

810 is a phenomenal camera. 850 file sizes are massive and will slow your machine down. It’s DR and colour is stunning. 750 is reported to be very loud but slightly better at high iso.

I love mine and haven’t even considered changing it. I’ve done Airshows, low lit events, portraits and macro with it. It never fails.

Best camera I’ve ever had. Yes, I’m a massive fanboy, but I’m not ashamed :)

No point wasting my breath ( or typing in this case ) but I think the smart move going into 2nd half of 2018 is to have patience and wait for the Nikon FX camera releases due and hove a look at their grey price assuming that is the way you are going.

The 750 and 810 are great but they are getting on now and they have been the same price for what seems like several years at about 1000 and 1600 ish.

They have held value very well indeed, shows how popular they are. If it were me I'd go used definitely, from a reliable site like MPB where you have some come back if it goes tits up. The 750 is better value if you want to save a bit for lenses. End of the day, what you stick on the camera matters more than the body itself.

Not for one moment have I regretted getting the Nikon D810 camera. Marry that up with the 24-70 and 70-200mm Nikon lenses and you really won't need anything else. There is a noticable difference from the D800 camera now it has no AA filter, all for the better in my opinion .
So get it and don't hesitate
Oh and the video side is vastly improved as well so don't forget that feature of the camera

I got mine sent over from Ireland ;) where it was advertised on you know where

Last edited:
Not for one moment have I regretted getting the Nikon D810 camera. Marry that up with the 24-70 and 70-200mm Nikon lenses and you really won't need anything else. There is a noticable difference from the D800 camera now it has no AA filter, all for the better in my opinion .
So get it and don't hesitate
Oh and the video side is vastly improved as well so don't forget that feature of the camera

I got mine sent over from Ireland ;) where it was advertised on you know where

That was the difference with the D800E, it didn't have the AA filter, one of the first cameras to do it afaik. I remember paying €3400 for mine in Dublin, and got the 24-70 2.8 alongside, over 5K in one pop - most I have ever spent in one go on any kind of gear. I also got the 70-200 VRII a little later, and added the 300mm F4 and a Sigma 35 1.4 .... I will never miss hauling all of that about. God bless mirrorless I say, but hey ... OP wants it, so will already have considered size and weight.

The D800E btw, is still a banging camera if the more modern bits and bobs don't interest you. I found that camera excellent for low light despite what some say - I shot gigs between 4K - 10K ISO and they were very clean. Here's one at 4000 ISO just for example, that has less noise than some much more modern cameras show at 1600:

Y&T by K G, on Flickr

This thread turns out to be very interesting discussion, thank you all once again.

I had a look at roumors and so far found info about two FX bodies from Nikon - both mirrorless, which are of no interest to me, at least at current stage. In August I will have few chances to shoot for somebody and it's gonna carry on steadily till February, which will be a big one for me - my first wedding. I must deliver and time is not too kind - after body I'll need at least two lenses and backup. I can easily make it with my current job, but would rather have most important piece of equipment at hand somewhat soon, so I have plenty of time to use it, get familiar with it etc.

After reading all the posts I still think I'll go for D810. This should last me a while and will deffo meet expectations of people I'll shoot for :).

Cagey, that's a great shot. I'm not really worried about weight of the gear, am used to carrying heavy stuff for long periods of time :).

Not saying anyone should do, but I shot a couple of weddings using only a 35 1.4 and 85 1.8, I had the 2.8 zooms on hand, and that 300mm [think I used that for a couple of distance portraits on a bridge] but 99% of the day, 35mm + 85mm was all i used. Stick one on each body and away you go. Ready for just about anything :)

Again, best of luck with the decision

As an aside, I love the gig photo but it is a bit sad seeing all those baldy blokes looking up at the female band...

Very helpful thread for me too! I was going to start a similar one but most of my questions have been answered here.

My pair of D500's are perfect for one of my areas of work, fast moving, unpredictable action stuff but my second stream is from GDM projects and I really think FF will help with detail and DR.

I'm torn between the D810 and D850, one benefit of the D850 I can see is the similarity in control layout with the D500 so "muscle memory" isn't an issue. Is anyone running the D500 and D810 side by side?

The lenses I'd be most using are the 24-70mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8 and 60mm f2.8G.

Thanks,

GC

Whoops! Yes, should have looked more closely south of the chins!!

As an aside, I love the gig photo but it is a bit sad seeing all those baldy blokes looking up at the female band...

Should have gone to specsavers perhaps? :ROFLMAO:

They're not my cuppa sound-wise, very old school, but really nice guys. Band are called Y&T, it was a mate brought me to it and wanted photos, many of which I sent to the band also, they were happy with them at least. We were allowed access to the balcony where their sound-guy was which allowed me to get overhead shots like this.

Last edited:
Absolutely (Specsavers)! What a plonker. Still, the photo did make me chuckle for reasons that are still valid.
Nice to get access to that vantage point, I imagine everyone was very pleased with images like the one you added above.

Just to finally end thread with positive outcome, I have placed the order for D810. Not entirely sure if I'm happy yet as it's 3 times more expensive than my car, but I'm sure it will exceed my expectations in every aspect.

Once again thank you all for input, much appreciated!

... GDM projects ...
Can't really answer your query other than to say I have briefly used the D500 (I shoot with a D810) and had no real issues switching between them ... I do have a question though, what is GDM?

Can't really answer your query other than to say I have briefly used the D500 (I shoot with a D810) and had no real issues switching between them ... I do have a question though, what is GDM?

Thanks for that.

Geological Disaster Mitigation. Prediction, probability, planning and response for volcanic eruptions, earthquakes and tsunamis.

GC

Back