Lastolite HiLite

I have one, also acts as a very large softbox if required.

I have one too. It's great for head shots and 3/4 shots but you can have problems with full length where a train joins the hilite. I've not used a train at all but I've heard of others having a problem with getting the lighting right on that area.

My problem is in folding the ruddy thing up! I got the larger one and I have to admit, I've not used it for about 8 months. I've been enjoying working more on location and not relying on being indoors.

A few times I've had to ask the family for help after stuffing it in the back of the car and we have surrounded it and beaten it into submission.

Hi

I have the smaller one.
- Great for headshots
- For kids / full length, I put in behind a material backdrop which gives a more even floor/background colouring
- It is a pig to fold but I think I have the hang of it now (but I don't look very elegant doing it & wouldn't fold it in front of a client).
- I'm glad I bought it!!!!

Mine arrived today.

There is a very good video on folding it back into a circle here:

http://www.lastoliteschoolofphotography.com/folding-the-hilite

which I wished I had looked at before taking it out of the bag.

Two weddings to process, 22 product shots to do, a client visit that has to be done today, a committee meeting tonight (local football club) and I'm busy building a jig to use a hi-res scanner for a 'photography' project for a client (that has to be tested and ready to use by tomorrow) and then the Hi-Lite turns up (the 5x7 one). I could not resist, had to get it out and have a look and then spent half a hour trying to get it back into the box. One view of the video and two minutes later I was done.

John

Thanks for the replies, it looks like everyone approves of it then so far :)

Thanks for linking to your thread PsiFox - it took me a while to get the spelling "right" so I was searching all over the place for the wrong thing

I find I am often trying to work in small areas where there is not sufficient room to get the subject, let alone me, a decent distance from the backdrop. I tend not to take my softbox out with me as it was so difficult to put together I have been reluctant to take it apart again - does the HiLite work as well with umbrellas?

The hilite just does the back ground unless you want to use it as a giant softbox, but will work fine with umbrellas for the illumination of the subject..

Like you I want it for the small spaces and also some shoots at venues.
FITP is gong to get a price for the "clone version" but will probably need a min order, but i'm sure he will advise further.

No minimum order for the clones, but due to the cost they would need to be paid for in advance. I don't want to start selling on this thread so please see here for details :)

Sister-in-law as one which i have used a couple of times 3/4 shots real easy and you can get away with just one light in the hi-light.But put on the train for the floor and the problems start you need a couple of lights in the hi-light and light/s for the join and then your main lights, or lots of photo-shop. When you look at the video's on their website it looks all so easy.

Used the Hilite today and it was superb. Was photographing football shirts on mannequins and just stuck a silver reflector next to the camera to provide the fill light. Worked well. Very easy to set up and one quick check with the flash meter and I was ready to shoot.

Due to space limitations I was within about 7 feet of the background but it did exactly as expected and worked in a small space providing shadow free pure white backgrounds.

Would have loved to have paid a lot less for it but it does work well and I guess that is what I paid for. The components must cost about £20 but it saved me half a day of setting up lights today so has already paid for itself (sort of).

John

I've got the 6x7 with the train. Great bit of kit, bugger to get back in the bag though. I bought it to throw up at events and in homes with my elinchrom heads for a quick high key set up. I've used it for full length shots with no problems. So impressed I've just ordered the black and grey bottletop covers. Hunt around for pricing though - there are some bargains to be had.

I was using one the other day and loved it but I don't love the price, any more info on the clone versions, price? quality?

I was using one the other day and loved it but I don't love the price, any more info on the clone versions, price? quality?

This thread is nearly five years old. HiLites are good, especially for working in small spaces. The clone referred to was less good, and short-lived.

Ops silly me, I Should have looked more closely at the dates :), Thanks for taking the time to respond to me.

Back