Lastolite Micro Apollo.

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Anybody out there used one?
Are they worth it or just a gimmick?:shrug:

Used. Still have. Disappointed.

Thank you, it will say me a few pounds that I can waste on something else photographic!

There's a review here - http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_lastolite_micro_apollo.php - which seems positive. I've actually placed an order today for an eBay equivalent for far less money (£8). It'll probably take 2-3 weeks to turn up but I'll try to remember to post my thoughts when I get it. Here's the item.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Portable-Flas...ryZ15215QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The thing is, most other flash modifiers are all about bouncing, either off the walls/ceiling or off the modifier itself. When the walls/ceiling are not white, or too far away, or you're outdoors, then what? You can bounce off a BBC but you'll waste loads of light shooting against nothing. If a softbox is a nice idea in the studio then why not, for on the move photography, or even macro/product?

They seem to be used very close up!
Thank you for the help,
Jim

The whole point of a softbox is to make the light source appear larger. The further you move it from the subject the smaller it will be relative to the distance. At beyond 20', for example, it will probably have very little beneficial impact and will simply suck power from your flash. Used at shorter ranges it could be quite effective at softening edge shadows.

Softbox2.jpg

In a relatively confined space (bar, home, dungeon, vestry etc), if it was a choice between direct flash, bouncing off purple (for example) walls and ceiling or using this softbox I think I'd favour the softbox.

Just recently I've been trying to get nice shots of garden birds. The weather has not been good lately and I'm using off camera flash to assist the light. I'm using a home made diffuser (soft box) built from a 4 pt milk jug and some aluminium foil. It works quite well and is a huge improvement over hard, direct, flash, which looks very fake and makes the pictures unusable. The diffuser is only 1-2' from where the birds are encouraged to perch. The birds don't care what my softbox looks like. However, if called upon to do an impromptu portrait session or shoot some wedding stuff I'd far rather whip out my collapsible softbox than plant a milk jug on the end of my flash gun.

Here's what I'm using at the moment. Almost anything would be an improvement, in appearance, if not results.

20080531_154750_02922_LR.jpg"
20080531_154805_02923_LR.jpg

i have one, love the results, but is an absolute PAIN to use, seriously. will not stay on, especially if you tilt the camera into portrait view, really wants to fall off! shame, because nice lighting results. debating whether i should get the smallest model they do, as mine was quite big, maybe something to do with problem.

I don't know whether a little extra velcro is the answer but I just bought a pack of 48 self adhesive "hook and loop" pads from Tesco for 85p. They are quite small and, sadly, white, but I'm planning on using them to attach my version of a BBC when my materials come through for that.

Have you seen this thread - http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=41904? I did actually go out looking for suitable bowls yesterday but didn't find anything I liked and I figured by the time I'd got hold of suitable diffusion material and put it together I'd still have something that would not pass professional judgement (I could hardly turn up to photograph a wedding with a plastic mixing bowl on my camera) and I'd have a fair bit of faffing about to do. So I just plumped for the eBay solution for a modest premium over the DIY version, plus the eBay solution folds flat for safe storage.

Have you seen this thread - http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=41904? I did actually go out looking for suitable bowls yesterday but didn't find anything I liked and I figured by the time I'd got hold of suitable diffusion material and put it together I'd still have something that would not pass professional judgement (I could hardly turn up to photograph a wedding with a plastic mixing bowl on my camera) and I'd have a fair bit of faffing about to do. So I just plumped for the eBay solution for a modest premium over the DIY version, plus the eBay solution folds flat for safe storage.

Wow, I am off to ASDA / Tesco first thing for a couple, going to try white gloss and matt emulsion then silver wheel spray, I think they may have a run on bowls!
White shirt, muslin cloth.
Different size bowls it is endless.
That's me on the bronc!
Jim

try sainsburys, they have large clear plastic bowls in at the mo, bit more expensive than 77p though. you could paint the outside matt black to make it look less diyee

i don't really worry about what people think about my cam's accessories, because at the end of the day, they're not the ones who are making the images, and hopefully good ones at that :D!

I've got both the larger version and the smaller one. Problem is the attachment is by using Velcro, a real pain as the head seems to flop around. Have overcome the problem by using the large one on an old Nikon Flash gun and have added more velcor to make it stick. It's OK for tabletop, but not over keen for other uses.

An alternative is a system from Chimera . This uses conventional flash guns but with quality adapters. They work by not connecting directly to the flash unit. The Flash fits onto a bracket which is part of the diffusers.

Only problem is COST. By the time you've bought the adapter and the diffuser it's £90 plus. A couple of these plus stands, you may be better off buying an inexpensive studio system outright

Ah right, what sort of bracket did you use? is there a speciel kind?

Dunno what it was, just came across it by chance. It's just the right size to allow the head of an SB-600 through and I used some knicker elastic (new!) to secure the strobe in place.

Back