Latest Wedding - Camper van, super bright flowers and lots of sun

I really enjoyed them and kept going back to them to look over them again.
I have even booked marked your website to "steal ideas" sorry I mean inspire me ;)

I really like the style, it has a very fly-on-the-wall feel to them that seem to detach you from the subject yet strangely connect you strongly at the same time, it's almost surreal.

My only concern would be the risk of taking the style too far and I think there are one or two photographs in the set which take this style to the limit, any further and it may not work. I like how there's a mix of the more standard composition types as well as this style which helps retain a focused interest :)

Last edited:
Well, I really like them an I suspect the b&g are really chuffed with them too (y)

Cheers mate!

Seems like your style has divided people like marmite. But the key thing here is that you do have a definite style - one that for me works really well - it's really contemporary and I can see how they would make for a great album.

I do have a quick question though - do you find many b&g's order framed prints as well though? (or are you not bothered!)

Thank you! I don't offer framed prints, and the sales of standalone prints (from the B&G) are very rare due to the included high resolution DVD.

I really enjoyed them and kept going back to them to look over them again.
I have even booked marked your website to "steal ideas" sorry I mean inspire me ;)

Haha! Cheers :¬)

I really like the style, it has a very fly-on-the-wall feel to them that seem to detach you from the subject yet strangely connect you strongly at the same time, it's almost surreal.

My only concern would be the risk of taking the style too far and I think there are one or two photographs in the set which take this style to the limit, any further and it may not work. I like how there's a mix of the more standard composition types as well as this style which helps retain a focused interest :)

Well spotted, there are some shots I pushed here :¬)

Dig Man!

Never looked at your story boards before, but have to say if i was the bride i'd be very happy, and would have a tough job choosing

I love them, if you ever want an apprentice or a lackey or something I would love to watch you for the day :D

I love these mate - brilliant stuff. Only two things I don't like - the blurry white thing in front of them in the shot where they walk through the woods is just too distracting and the reflected shot near the end with double images of the bride does odd things to be my eyes! Both other than that - great work.

Really enjoyed looking through these! I'd be really happy with them if I was the couple! Xx

Ross, thoroughly enjoyed looking through that whole set. What you've shot there is something I could only dream to achieve - aside from a really nice style, the people involved all look like they've truly bought into the spirit of how you were shooting.

I'm loving the blown highlights in some shots along with some really strong contrast. Also, you seem to have a love for shooting in open shade to get that lovely rim or side light from sunlight.... really impressed.

I don't normally find myself frequenting the people and Portrait section but sort of stumbled across this thread as I'm looking to move outside my comfort zone and start doing a little portrait photography of friends and family.

Anyway back to this thread, I know very little of wedding photography mostly having seen friends wedding shots over the years but one thing is for sure if I was looking for a wedding photographer I'd want him or her to shoot like this, what a fantastic story of the day, natural, vibrant, discrete, delicate and quirky, I love them all. Brilliant job (y)

Nice shots there sir. I love the vibrance and life in the shots. Yes there are a few there that I'm not keen on, but they are far outweighed by those I really like. I'm willing to bet the couple were really happy with them

I can see what some people mean about the shots but i really appreciated them and thought you captured the mood, the people, the enviroment, enjoyed viewing them.

Do mine me asking on some of the images they have noise or grain
was this put in when editing.

Are you normally at F2.8 and also what glass are you using primarily. Is it fixed or zoomy?

Also as someone above mentioned about the grain. It's really great grain. I'm always trying to get rid of it but maybe I should be adding haha

Those D3S are pretty amazing. I'm sure it could be grain free if you desired that ascetic.

rdh said:
Thanks guys!

Andy: ƒ1.4 - 2.8. Very rarely go over 4. All 1.4G primes (bar the tilt, which is 45/2.8). D3s is an amazing camera. Really amazing.

If you were to get one prime what do you suggest?

I loved the 50 on crop but find on full frame personally it's not wide enough and not zoomed enough. Feels like some wierd in between.

So 85mm for me then. Would you say with your experience there is one size you use most?

I'm a tea personal also Bruce :¬) Cheers!

Upon a re-visit, there is one particular shot I may PP the BG out (bride reflected on left and right). I tend not to do too much PP, but that could do with a bit of whiteness. So thank you guys for the push.

That is the only shot in the whole storyboard that doesn't really work for me, but the rest are great. I can understand your style may not be everyones cup of tea, but I love the quirky compositions and saturation. Inspirational (y)

I've said before that I'm not a huge fan of some of your stuff but I am a huge fan of the fact your trying to be different it's easy to produce a bland portfolio that everyone will say 'nice shot' too but it's so much harder to produce something that inspires real emotion which you've certainly done here! Some poeple hate it some love it but it works for you and I'm sure the fact it's different has helped you fill the diary for next year.

Good luck and keep pushing the boundaries.

Back