Latest Wedding - Camper van, super bright flowers and lots of sun

AndyHayball said:
RDH is a forum member that gives constructive and educated feedback on other peoples work and people should not be trying to push him away just because they don't have taste (joke joke joke).

Who is trying to push anyone away, last time I looked this was the feedback and critique section, my feedback was that I didn't like a lot of them because of the way that they were composed...

rdh seems well able to accept a variety of opinions and appears to me to be doing so graciously. I'm sure that he isn't going to be "pushed away" ... or for that matter discouraged in his particular style of photography by the opinions expressed here.

In reference to composition I'd say that traditional wedding photography was always done in a certain way.. it had certain rules and people followed them. It was a different age and the ability to take a shot and then check it, disgard it and reshoot correctly wasn't available, so there were a lot of staged and safe shots taken.

We now live in an age where traditional style shots are dying out and people are allowed and able to take more unconventional images, compositions and styles on board. If people like them who cares if they are 'bad compositions'... they are only 'bad' in the sense they don't conform to the traditional styles of wedding photos. Now if they all had their heads chopped off or were all out of focus than fair enough, but in this example I don't think we have 'bad' compositions... I think we have 'unconventional', or slightly 'abstract'. To me they still tell the story of the day, they still capture the 'moments' that are important.

I think it's good to see people pushing the boundries a little and it's something I certainly have taken inspiration from. Sometimes unconventional whilst not appealing to everyone is actually a positive form of expression as it challenges the viewer.

Ross, I have just noticed this thread, (I don't spend too much time on TP these days).

I like to keep an eye on local photographers and I have to say I'm really impressed with the work on your web/blog. I love it! You've really found a defining style and I can feel your enthusiasm coming through in your images.

I am equally amazed at the quality of "constructive critique" you have received from this Forum - it really seems to have gone downhill.

As you know, clients' opinions are the only ones worth heeding and clearly, they are very much in tune with your style.

Looking forward to seeing more from your blog in future.

A great perspective offered there Andy. Well put :¬)

:)

BTW I've bookmarked that link to the photoshop storyboard you posted for someone else as have a new site being built and I'm going to start using that to display my pics. Although the link wasn't meant for me thanks for posting it anyway as I've been wondering how people do that for a while

i am willing to accept i am no good at giving constuctive criticism.

i admire rdh in that he believes in what hes doing and dosent get offended.

but you others think that first photo on the thread is good or the first one of the house in the storyboard is good?

can you not see why i compared the other photographer to rdh photos,then i despair in your judgement?

yes break rules of composition but in return i want a good interesting photo.

i do not want to offend rdh, but i wont lie as that would be false and not fair to him.

for example look at her mirror shot in her favourites and compare to rdh mirror shot.

I like these a lot. In one or two places I was amazed that such oversaturated photos, followed by DEsaturated photos would work but it so does. Being very critical, I think your better work was at the start of the storyboard, but that's not to put down the later images, really.

Vary very nice, and individual work. It's that that will get you the full calendar...

but you others think that first photo on the thread is good or the first one of the house in the storyboard is good?

can you not see why i compared the other photographer to rdh photos,then i despair in your judgement?

yes break rules of composition but in return i want a good interesting photo.

It's meaningless to say an interpretation of a scene is "good". The mirror shot for me (there is more than one) draws me right to her isolated eye and leaves me wanting to see more, find out more about her and the environment she's in. Its a snippet, an impression.

The image I recall from your link is a nicely composed, clean image which I've seen a 1000 times by every other photographer. I'm not saying it's bad, good or better, but it does nothing for me, but I'm sure the bride loves it.

At risk of repeating myself, the Client judges the value by recommending Ross to her friends - and his clients seem to be doing just that.

straycat, this is for you:

http://www.rossharveyweddings.com/weddings/godwick-barn-wedding-norfolk-alice-mick

Lots of reflections :¬)

But more to the point, read the message at the top, from the couple. Then look through the storyboard, and read the comments left by others.

I'm not the only one who appreciates something different.

Peace.

Edit: Neil, thanks, indeed, it's a fleeting impression to invoke the imagination.

Last edited:
er those are much,much better than the other set and i even like quite a few/lot of them.

I do like a lot of those images. what kind of ISO range do you use, lots of them seem very noisy or is that added grain?

yes,i was being honest in my opinion,i think they are aweful.

i only replied as its a wedding post and therefore buissness,i dont know the photographer and have no axe to grind.

if it had been a newbie i would not of commented unless i could offer encouragement and advice.

as long as you are honest in your view you can criticise any of my photos,though some peoples view would not bother me.

my friend in holland often tells me if he thinks my photos arent good enough,but when he likes one i know he means it.

i am sure the op dosent want false X factor type praise?

You think they're awful?

Seriously?

dtokez - up to 12,800. Grain is added in post, personal preference :¬)

I'm guessing that's with the D3s? Although still usable, I find 12,800 a touch too high for the D3 - they are ok when displaying online but full size, perhaps questionable. Of course the D3s is renowned for its noise handling.

I like your work - its different and I think this industry needs that.
Some of the photos dont work and feel very busy , but I certainly wouldnt complain about the cropping or missing body parts in them bc those photos actually look perfectly fine.

Back