Lavalier Mics for video

Name
Nikolay
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello folks! I have my fully equiped voice over studio and i have a lot of experience with studio mics, but this is not the case with the lavalier microphones.
So i need some tips from guys who have done PRO video job about lav mics.My question is which type is better ? omni or cardioid?
I know good models like Sennheiser MKE 2 gold, Sanken cos 11 d, DPA descreet ,so any sudgestion is wellcome.
Again i am intersted in thruly PRO sound , not cheap crap alternatives.

My mate, a professional cameraman, always used a sennheiser g3 system. Don't know what he uses today.

Have a look at the rode filmmaker kit, I've used it, and it's a great bit of kit.

What make of mikes do you use in your VO studio. Sometimes it's a good idea to stick with particular make. I've used Sennheisers, ( all wireless) and have not been disappoint with the results. The lavs you list are all omni directional which, without doing more research, I think most lavs are.

In a studio you've got more control of the environment, so stray noises shouldn't be to much of a problem. Location recording can throw up different problems

the sennheiser G3s are the goto standard ENG setup, though for wireless most professional sound recordists seem to use Lectro systems.

As for the capsule itself, a colleague spent a huge amount of time debating the minutae of differences between the tram and DPAs. Both are miles ahead of the standard one sennheiser etc supply

Standard studio lavalier mic in the broadcast industry is the sony ECM-77B but this is probably way beyond sensible in terms of cost. Rhode, sennheiser and audio technica make better budget alternatives.

In the field, a variety of kit is used from DPA cardioid (stadiums primarily) to handheld beyer M58 hyper cardioid and sennheiser ME-66.

Last edited:
About question for my VO studio setup, i use Sennheiser 416 shotgun mic and also Neumann 103 a studio condenser. I have a vocal booth but for video recordings i dont have threated room, so thats why i ask for ideas.
for lav mics. Maybe cardiod lav will be better insted of omni. I have some cheap Sennheiser lav (ME2 ) but sound is terrible and a lot of poping noise from clothes. I will check info about sony and maybe DPA.

Noise from clothing is a major concern with lav mics. When I do audio for video I use a vocal booth and an SL150 mic. (Not the ultimate but good quality for the money ) Although of late I've started to use the lav mic, just for ease of set up, but again clothing ( and hair) noises can be annoying.. Without the vocal booth the lav sound poor, but that's due to room effect not the lav, although I do find it a bit base rich. But that can be eq'd out

Back