Lavender

Edit My Images
No
Hello,

This is my first post. It's of a lavender plant in my garden.

Here is the original.

Lavender_01.jpg

Technical details
Canon E400D with Canon 18-55
ISO 100
Shutter speed 1/125
Aperture F6.3

This is it converted to black and white

Lavender_02.jpg

And finally just worked out how to do this in photoshop.

Lavender_03.jpg

Any comments would be appreciated.

Its a good start snazzy, although it does seem a little out of focus.

The bud on the very right edge of the frame is superfluous, so maybe clone it out (great practice for Photoshop) :)

It may be you were too close for the lens to focus properly, not sure what the min focus is on the 18-55 so i could be 100% wrong.

Did you shoot RAW or JPG ?

Its a very good effort just needs a little practice and you will get there :)

Its a good start snazzy, although it does seem a little out of focus.

The bud on the very right edge of the frame is superfluous, so maybe clone it out (great practice for Photoshop) :)

It may be you were too close for the lens to focus properly, not sure what the min focus is on the 18-55 so i could be 100% wrong.

Did you shoot RAW or JPG ?

Its a very good effort just needs a little practice and you will get there :)

:agree: :)

Ian_C and Ewan,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I was a bit nervous posting on a site where the quality is so high.

In answer to your question Ian I do shoot in RAW format as I like the flexibilty this gives.

As for the focusing, I tried to get as close as possible so it could be that the depth of focus was to small. As the lavender has stopped flowering I'll have to wait until next year to give it another go :eek:

I thought about bringing the colour out on the buds on the right and also about cropping thm out altogather. I might give it another go when I get some time.

B&W version for me snazzy & I quite like the narrow depth of field but I'd be tempted to make sure that the background is a little less cluttered as the bokeh is making the main focused area of the image look blurred due to the lighter flowers at the back. You may be able to do this by turning slightly but if push comes to shove, just take a dark piece of card with you to place at the back of the flowers.
Crop or clone the side buds out though as they add nothing to the shot IMO.
Overall a very nice effort that could be excellent with a bit of tweaking (y)

My favourite herb :) ...its not a flower :p~ ....Background is a bit to dark though, maybe change its position

Back