Lawn Mowers.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
I had a thread going a few years ago, about buying a ride on mower. I owned a self propelled (ie it had drive) petrol mower at the time, it was OK but could be a struggle. I've struggled on with the this mower, although it does propel itself, to an extent.

The time really has come now for a newer one though. I'm not getting any younger and I did struggle on the warmer days last year. My garden is a bit of a beast, as gardens go anyway, it's large and has a slope at the back end and that slope slopes 2 ways in one corner. My mower is struggling now too, it's had a hammering, which is my fault but it has served me well.

I am looking at 'semi pro' ones, pro ones are a few £k, that's not an option. My budget is around the £600 mark. I visited a local lawnmower supplier/workshop last week and he convinced me not to go for a ride on as they are prone to toppling (on the slopes). He recommended a Weibang self propelled, follow me mower but it was over budget.

I would like a minimum, 21" cut.

Anyway, brands I've looked at are,

Oleo Mac,
Weibang,
Cobra,
Webb,
Hyundai,
Honda,
Toro,
Alco,
At-co,

So a few decent brands in there and decent ones come in on budget. The terrain (slopes) rule some types out and my grass is functional, rather than ornamental and whilst I like it tidy, I'm not looking for fancy things like stripes.

I wasn't aware that it's possible to get 4WD mowers too but I'm not sure if it's needed, just a gimmick, or actually a thing.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience (good or bad) with the above brands, or can recommend another brand?

ta. :)

Last edited:
If you look around on Facebook marketplace or eBay you’ll probably find a good Husqvarna for that money. I had quite a large paddock in one of my previous houses and picked one up for £500. It was well used but never skipped a beat in the 4 years I owned it.

Probably save some money if you could use your current mower for a few months more, likely to be more mowers on sale towards end of season?

Very happy with my oleo Mac.

Years ago I bought a very expensive Honda. The clutch failed after a year or two and despite the long warranty, I had to pay because I hadn't paid £200 a year for servicing. Then the clutch failed again...

I bought an oleo Mac online because it was about twice the cost of servicing a Honda so if it lasted 3 years I was winning.

When I moved to a new build with a massive garden which was literally waist high, it did a fantastic job. First cut was hours but it ploughed through without complaint.

Drop of petrol now and again and some wd40 at the end of the season is all the care it gets.

I've had it maybe 10 years now and it always starts first time. Last year it refused to stop so I found how to stop it with a screwdriver. I bet it starts first time at Easter. But it probably won't stop :)

Only downside is most places won't service anything that isn't a major brand but in my experience they don't need it.

all the professional garden cutters around here use Husqvarna.

I‘ve had Honda for the past 20 years (2 - sold first when we moved as it was too big).
They have both served me well.

My neighbour has a massive paddock for a back garden. He swears by Kubota mowers.

Thanks for the suggestions, interesting reading.

RE goats, my Wife loves goats, I'd best not go there. :LOL:

I'll take a look at the suggestions, intriqued by Kubota, if they come in on budget.

Taste is very chef dependent!

We bought a Viking lawnmower (Made by Stihl). The brand was recommended to us by our neighbours gardener, Apart from having the blade sharpened last year, it has been faultless for the last 9 years.

Get some Lambs then, it'll be your summer BBQ's sorted as well as the grass ;)

You beat me to it :D

Less "climby" than goats.

That is a plus point too ;)

Taste is very chef dependent!

Welshman and sheep, probably not a good combo. ;)

We bought a Viking lawnmower (Made by Stihl). The brand was recommended to us by our neighbours gardener, Apart from having the blade sharpened last year, it has been faultless for the last 9 years.

Cheers, I'll have a look. :)

Can I ask where from and a price ? I am now looking after a good long service our current leccy one has died so time for upgrade.

This one is £919 RRP. Most good dealers have them, local and online too, although I always try to go local where I can.

Where do you sit?

I could sit on it and get Wifey to push it. Might get a bit hot though.

Emptied my wallet today on the Toro. It is a beast, just the job I think.

I don't want to get it dirty now.:LOL:

Drive it through a dirty puddle!

So the first run of the new mower was early Tuesday past. The grass was growing, more than I realised and it was a nice, dry day. The grass was wet though and I did cut it a little short, which also caused the clippings to stick to the 'chute' that leads to the collection bag. I can't really blame the mower for that, I'll cut it longer next time (it's a bit of a skinhead atm) and hopefully, drier too, which should mean collecting the cuttings in the bag isn't a problem.

I did have a scare though. With it being 4WD, I can now cut straight up the slope, from the flat bit, which is the plan, rather than cutting all of the flat bit, then side to side on the slope. Anyway, on the 3rd pass up the slope, I noticed some smoke coming from the exhaust, which quickly turned to clouds of blue/white smoke. I stopped the machine, brought it back down the garden, thought about it and theorised that it might be oil used during manufacture of the engine and left in situ to protect it during transit/storage at the shop etc. It seemed a sound theory as apart from the smoke, the engine was running fine. I started the engine again, quite a bit more smoke came out but it soon seemed to burn off.

I was feeling pretty proud of myself, of course it was manufacture/transit/storage oil.

............ errrrr, nope.

As soon as I hit the slope again. clouds of smoke poured out. I stopped the engine again, wheeled the mower back to the shed, inspected it, then theorised that it was too much oil, which was finding its way into the bore when the surface changed from level to the slope.. They had put oil in at the shop, as well as fuel and ran it for about 30 seconds there.

I emptied the oil and right enough, 125ml too much, which in such a small sump, is a significant overfill.

I put the right amount back in, started the mower, got a small puff of smoke (from the oil remaining in the bore) which cleared in a second or two.

I phoned the shop, they apologised profously and told me to take the mower back if the problem returned, or if anything else had broken during all this. I had ran the mower for just about 40 minutes after the smoke episodes were sorted and all was well, no more smoke, so hopefully, no damage done.

Partly my bad, as I should've checked but lesson learned and no harm (seemingly) done.

So the first run of the new mower was early Tuesday past. The grass was growing, more than I realised and it was a nice, dry day. The grass was wet though and I did cut it a little short, which also caused the clippings to stick to the 'chute' that leads to the collection bag. I can't really blame the mower for that, I'll cut it longer next time (it's a bit of a skinhead atm) and hopefully, drier too, which should mean collecting the cuttings in the bag isn't a problem.

I did have a scare though. With it being 4WD, I can now cut straight up the slope, from the flat bit, which is the plan, rather than cutting all of the flat bit, then side to side on the slope. Anyway, on the 3rd pass up the slope, I noticed some smoke coming from the exhaust, which quickly turned to clouds of blue/white smoke. I stopped the machine, brought it back down the garden, thought about it and theorised that it might be oil used during manufacture of the engine and left in situ to protect it during transit/storage at the shop etc. It seemed a sound theory as apart from the smoke, the engine was running fine. I started the engine again, quite a bit more smoke came out but it soon seemed to burn off.

I was feeling pretty proud of myself, of course it was manufacture/transit/storage oil.

As soon as I hit the slope again. clouds of smoke poured out. I stopped the engine again, wheeled the mower back to the shed, inspected it, then theorised that it was too much oil, which was finding its way into the bore when the surface changed from level to the slope.. They had put oil in at the shop, as well as fuel and ran it for about 30 seconds there.

I emptied the oil and right enough, 125ml too much, which in such a small sump, is a significant overfill.

I put the right amount back in, started the mower, got a small puff of smoke (from the oil remaining in the bore) which cleared in a second or two.

I phoned the shop, they apologised profously and told me to take the mower back if the problem returned, or if anything else had broken during all this. I had ran the mower for just about 40 minutes after the smoke episodes were sorted and all was well, no more smoke, so hopefully, no damage done.

Partly my bad, as I should've checked but lesson learned and no harm (seemingly) done.

Reminds me of the time my wife in her infinite wisdom decided to oil the wood burner to give it a bit of a shine.

She nearly shat her pants the next time she lit it and the living room filled with thick black smoke.

Glad you've sorted it.

I'm amazed how many 'Technicians' get fluid levels wrong :(

I was suprised as they are a well established, family firm of engineers, who've been in the business 40 odd years and they came highly recommended.

With hindsight, I recall the guy who filled the oil, resting the dipstick and cap on the oil filler tube, rather than screwing it in. This would mean the level lines on the dipstick would be sitting a mil or so higher than they should be. I think this might be what happened, as well as not letting the oil run to the sump during filling between checks. It all added up.

Anyway, no apparent harm done but they have a note of it now. (y)

At tangent but no less concerning.

Many years ago one of my colleagues picked up his brand new Volvo (S40 I think,?)

A few miles down the road, on day of collection, the car shuddered to a halt. It turned out that the engine had no oil in it at all!!!!

I cannot recall the outcome but I think it almost ended up in court. But one thing of note, bearing in mind that it was factory fresh and had passed(?) the dealer PDI, he & the MD were told it was his responsibility to have checked the oil!!!!!

A surprising number of brand new cars would fail an MOT if taken straight to a testing station.

Been using an EGO 52cm self propeled 56v mower for years, my garden is fairly flat, around 35 x 100 ft and depending on the length of grass and if I mulch I can do it in 1 7.5ah battery letting the mower power it self along at a steady pace.

Mower is built like a tank, I have a spare blade which I sharpen with an angle grinder, its fairly straight forward to change, the charger is mega quick, has head lights if you want to do it in the dark, comes with side exit, grass collector, folds in half for storage, can't complain had it a few years now and still going strong.

[Edit]Ok sorry I must of power read straight over the budget, if you can stretch I would highly recomend or get a bundle with a slightly smaller battery as thats a fair chunk on its own I got a spare as I have the hedge trimmer, blower and weed whacker and I'm sure the 7.5ah battery is like £2-300 on its own[/EDIT]

Last edited:
Been using an EGO 52cm self propeled 56v mower for years, my garden is fairly flat, around 35 x 100 ft and depending on the length of grass and if I mulch I can do it in 1 7.5ah battery letting the mower power it self along at a steady pace.

Mower is built like a tank, I have a spare blade which I sharpen with an angle grinder, its fairly straight forward to change, the charger is mega quick, has head lights if you want to do it in the dark, comes with side exit, grass collector, folds in half for storage, can't complain had it a few years now and still going strong.

[Edit]Ok sorry I must of power read straight over the budget, if you can stretch I would highly recomend or get a bundle with a slightly smaller battery as thats a fair chunk on its own I got a spare as I have the hedge trimmer, blower and weed whacker and I'm sure the 7.5ah battery is like £2-300 on its own[/EDIT]

Thanks, interesting.

I have though now bought a Toro, petrol mower, very happy with it so far.

I will need to replace my strimmer soon though, possibly this season. I currently use a petrol one but it's showing its age now. I have Bosch, cordless drills that use the 'Power For All' batteries, so a Bosch strimmer using the same system would be the logical upgrade.

Reactions: Nod
Thanks, interesting.

I have though now bought a Toro, petrol mower, very happy with it so far.

I will need to replace my strimmer soon though, possibly this season. I currently use a petrol one but it's showing its age now. I have Bosch, cordless drills that use the 'Power For All' batteries, so a Bosch strimmer using the same system would be the logical upgrade.
I have a number of P4All devices and the best of all is the leaf blower which works surprisingly well. My only complaint is it’s designed for someone shorter than me.

My Briggs and Stratton powered Suffolk Punch is still going! If it aint broke and all that! (With stripes!)

Back