Layers partially locked in CS3 - How to unlock?

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
I have flattened about 5 layers in CS3, THEN realised that I need to change one of the layers. In the bottom right on the layers I now only have one, with a padlock by it saying 'partially locked'. How do I unlock it? I have saved it, so can not edit backwards ..... :bang:

Cheers guys.

if you still have the image open since saving/flattening then just undo/step backwards or perhaps go into the history (ctrl H I think) and step back through to the one you need. If you have since closed and reopened CS3, then you have lost the layers.

Have you kept the original so you can re-do the processing?

To unlock a background layer, just double click it.

I have flattened about 5 layers in CS3, THEN realised that I need to change one of the layers. In the bottom right on the layers I now only have one, with a padlock by it saying 'partially locked'. How do I unlock it? I have saved it, so can not edit backwards ..... :bang:

Cheers guys.

Click on the layer and click on the first icon to the right of the word LOCK at the top of the layers list. If there is just one layer with the lock on it isnt it a background layer?

You can try clicking on the layer and dragging it onto the NEW LAYER button (the one to the left of the trash bin) it will duplicate the layer and the new one will be a normal layer so you can delete the original one. This is what I do as its quicker than changing it :)

OK, got another duplicate layer that is not locked, but I have some text on it that I now can't edit? Is there any way to edit the text?

Has the text been converted to a bitmap?

Don't think so. It was text added via a layer using the text box then once flattened I can't change the spelling!!

Guess I'll have to erase, repaint and re write?

hard drives are cheap I tend to keep the non flattened version and if I need a flattened one for maybe uploading to TP I will save a jpg

If you un-flattened it before closing double click on the text layer, that should highlight the text then with the text tool selected you can change it. Wayne

Back