LCD Monitor inputs

Steep

Nutcrack Rapids
Name
Hugh
Edit My Images
Yes
This is a question for those of you who have LCD monitors. Do any of you use the digital input as opposed to the analog one and if so what difference if any is there?

I run two 19" Xerox LCD Monitors both on DVI as this avoids the grpahices card having to do a D to A conversion. Basicly you can feed your LCDs a true digital signal.

tft.jpg

Pretteh

Feed mine DVI - gives a better picture IMO. There are some down sides though, IIRC you lose some colour/contrast control using DVI.

With LCD always remember to feed the panel it's native resolution, other wise it looks pants.

My Samsung 215TW has DVI & standard VGA. I've tried both & think the DVI looked crisper. It could however be down to cable quality as the DVI was supplied with the monitor & the VGA was one I've had for years.

I run two 19" Xerox LCD Monitors both on DVI as this avoids the grpahices card having to do a D to A conversion. Basicly you can feed your LCDs a true digital signal.

I think the boys will be more interested in your calendar!!! ;)

I have that very monitor, but just the one. So if I have a rummage round in the box it came with am I gonna fnd a DVI connector thingybob? :thinking:

I think the boys will be more interested in your calendar!!! ;)

Wondered how long till someone spotted that, LOL, by the way is was a crap shot taken quickly to show someone else my setup :)

Now what I will be impressed with, will be who can tell me who the girl is in the calendar :)

I have that very monitor, but just the one. So if I have a rummage round in the box it came with am I gonna fnd a DVI connector thingybob? :thinking:

These are the version 2 ones, that have the 3ms responce time and 1000/1 ratio. They both came with only DVI connections, and adaptors to crappy RGB in case you dont have a DVI output on the Vidio card.

These are the version 2 ones, that have the 3ms responce time and 1000/1 ratio. They both came with only DVI connections, and adaptors to crappy RGB in case you dont have a DVI output on the Vidio card.

Oh! :thinking: LOL. Don't think I'll worry myself about it. :D

If you use the analogue one, the will be some aliasing issues. Text (especially) will not appear as sharp/crisp.

Generally (and increasinly so as technology improves) DVI gives a far better picture quality on LCD (when run at its native resolution).

With an analogue input to an LCD you can get problems with banding/fringing/rolling as the input picture frequency competes with the internal refresh rate of the LCD screen.

I've a 21" at work that I have to drive analogue as my lappy wont do DVI. It has a tendancy to exhibit some banding/facets
However the other guys that have desktop PC's that use DVI dont have any visible facetting.

HTH

Cheers folks, most of the 'good deal' monitors you see tend to have analogue only inputs and I wanted to double check before buying anything. I had always figured that if the gfx card didn't have to convert to analogue then there would be a performance boost.

Back