Learning how to use a Mac

Name
Doug
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend (Or may have a copy for sale) a good book to learn the basics of a Mac OSX?

I am used to using Windows but due to a new area of development at work I want to learn how to use a Mac.

Any suggestions?

I got a book from the library call Mac OS-X tiger for dummies by levitus I think.
It was good for the basic things and got me started.

It honestly wont take you long to figure it out mate.
I went from my PC to my Macbook and didnt bother with any books or guides.
Just remembering a few different things, that are in different places.

To be honest if you are proficient with windows then you will have no problems using a mac

windows control panel = mac system preferences
windows explorer = mac finder

Best thing to do is turn it on a start playing. The apple website has a few good pointers for switching too.....

Most of all, enjoy!

To be honest if you are proficient with windows then you will have no problems using a mac

windows control panel = mac system preferences
windows explorer = mac finder

Best thing to do is turn it on a start playing. The apple website has a few good pointers for switching too.....

Most of all, enjoy!

totally agree, there are some differences, specifically installing/uninstalling programs, totaaly different but much less hassle on the mac. I started running a mac a few months ago having been windows for 15 years, an had to work out a few things, but it has been a fairly pain free process tbh. (y)

Ideally I did not want to have to purchase one.

I want to learn about the file structure and file types.

Ideally I did not want to have to purchase one.

I want to learn about the file structure and file types.

ah well you see your original post said you wanted to learn the basics so one would assume you were looking to use one.....

Think you need to elaborate more when you say file types and structure?

ah well you see your original post said you wanted to learn the basics so one would assume you were looking to use one.....

Think you need to elaborate more when you say file types and structure?

Well the Mac navtive file system, how it works and the typical types of standard Mac files (plist etc)

Google Inside Mac OSX, or inside Mac Snow leopard. You'll get lots of articles on the web which may help.

I ssupect that there may be a dearth of books that take the middle ground, plenty of "Dummies" type book or How to programme . I used to use the Windows Inside Out books when I was on the PC platform These were sometime over technical but did cover the interesting bits of the Windows OS. A bit on the thick side though

Here's some info on the plist files

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24670

I was signed up to Lynda.com when I moved to Mac and found the OS-X movies on there to be a very fast and easy way of learning. The first few movies of each course are free to try it out before you buy.

Back