Lee Landscape Polariser Filter - How often

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive been watching quite a few you tube videos from pro photographers and it seems so of a mixed bag as to how often people use the polariser filter.

Some say they use it in 90% of there shots and others rarely, Now I know that can be personal preference but ive found the last couple of times ive used it depending on where the lights coming from I always seems to be shooting in the direction where its less useful or I get an uneven effect across the images.

So the question really

How often is your polariser filter part of your filter set up?

Thanks

I never leave home without it as the CP is an essential tool in both studio
and location toolboxes.

This is the kind of things one should better have and not use it than miss!
Both in studio and on location, this is like a magic wand, a problem solver
and, at times, the only way out of a bad lighting situation or environment.

How often is your polariser filter part of your filter set up?
Always there… but only when needed!

I carry a polariser all the time. But only use it when I think it will enhance the photograph.

Depends what I'm shooting. A polariser can be used for a number of reasons like removing reflections on water, Windows and wet roads. It's also great for pulling out the greens in a woodland scene.

Depends on what I'm shooting and intended outcome, the prevailing conditions, where and how wide too ... rarely use one for blue skies, often use it where water is involved (or other shiny surfaces). They also help to cut through haze too.

Depends on what I'm shooting and intended outcome, the prevailing conditions, where and how wide too ... rarely use one for blue skies, often use it where water is involved (or other shiny surfaces). They also help to cut through haze too.

:agree: well mostly lol

Most people buy them initially for deepening blue skies, then they shoot wide and see what a waste of time they are for shooting wide blue skies :D

I shoot a LOT of landscapes and I use mine... NEVER, cos the one I had many years ago I sold many years ago and I've never fancied one since

Dave

I carry mine but use it very occasionally and never in an effort to saturate colours, reason... I think it can make colours look fake, too vibrant and as already mentioned, at wide angles you get uneven polarisation so it can't really be used.

It is very useful for killing glare though and it comes in handy when shooting still water/waterfalls

Simon

I have the Lee Landscape Polariser and always carry it in my Lee field pouch, but I don't use it often. I find it fiddly to attach to the holder ring and, to be honest, I get just as good results with my 100 x 100 Lee linear polariser, which I also carry. I am with Simon (see post before this) in saying you can get carried away with using polarisers in some misguided belief that images are not 'proper' without one. When photographing moving water I actually just use the Landscape pol more as an ND as I hate to see what I call 'Big Stopper Mist' and it allows some movement in the flow. Another reason I don't use mine a lot is because I often use a TS-E Tilt+Shift lens for landscape and stitch 3 frames together. Polarisers ruin this process because there is no continuity between frames. In fairness to the Lee Landscape pol, I once dropped mine down a 15ft rocky embankment and into a river about 2ft deep and it stayed underwater for about 15 minutes before I recovered it........not a mark on it. Built well! ;-)

I use one fairly rarely. Sometimes the sky and tree colours ask for one, sometimes it is good for shooting cars. A regular screw in version is plenty for my needs as they are usually enough without a grad.

A badly used CPL can do a lot of damage to the image rendition, particularly on wideangles.

Back