Left eye or right eye?

Which eye to you look through a viewfinder with?

• Left

Votes: 35 49.3%
  • Right

Votes: 36 50.7%

• Total voters
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
As a left eyed photographer I always feel like I'm in the minority. But am I? :thinking:

Either left or right…..Sometimes both ;)

Right eye, Left is useless and diopter at full +ve doesn't even help

Right.

Left eye user here too.

Left eye, while keeping right eye open to make sure know one walks in to view.

When using a prism finder, regardless of which eye I use, the other eye remains open pretty much for the same reason.

Sometimes the scene can change just outside of the composure within the viewfinder…..By keeping one eye open, one can sometimes capture a better photo of an unplanned scene.

Also, depending on the nearby company, it can help in keeping one eye ( pun intended) on your kit

Left eye but right handed - not sure how unusual that is?

Ah! same here plus......can only snap fingers on the right not the left.......and can also wink either eye.

But coming back to which eye, surely it is all about which eye is dominant!

PS when I shot small bore ~ left eye, left shoulder & left-hand on the trigger. Swapping over felt very strange.

Right eye. Right handed.

But there's one thing that always feels comfortable and 'right' doing with my left hand...

...blowing my nose.

Surely you weren't thinking......oh, you're terrible. Filthy minds. :p

I always used to use my left then when I started using bbf, I had to change to my right due to my hand in the way.

Last edited:
Also a left eye/right hand. Often wondered why people went on about rangefinders and "seeing what comes into the frame". Tried to change but just couldn't.

I’m a lefty which is a pita with Fuji X rangefinder camera which I favour. I’m right handed. I’ve tried using my right eye but it’s not happening

I'm a lefty to for viewfindering and writing, although I fish right handed

Left, very left sided, even find the concept of holding the lens with left hand and pressing shutter with right to be the wrong way round, get used to it obviously, but I'll sell my Mum for a left-handed camera!

Left eye open for the viewfinder.
Right eye closed; if I open it whilst viewing, I get double vision...

Left eye but right handed - not sure how unusual that is?
It's quite common but, of course, there are also right-eyed left-handers. I would say that the two even out so the total percentage of left-eyed photographers is probably about the same as left-handers. I base this on seven years selling firearms and trying to stop people shooting with opposite eye and hand....

Left. It's remarkable how little consideration some camera designers give to this possibility - e.g., manual SLRs where you need to pull out the wind-on lever to an offset position to switch them on (poking yourself in the right eye), rear LCD screens you are more likely to smudge and multi-selectors that are harder to use because your nose gets in the way, etc.

Left eye for everything involving sighting including shooting and snooker, but right handed.

Right eye weaker than left but still use it since diopter can adjust. Right handed, but eat with knife in left hand and fork in right. Never understood this eating malarky - your knife just moves backwards and forwards but your fork has to move in all directions as well as aim. My grandparents were horrified but my parents didn't care.

Left eye here too. Right handed.... Unless I'm swinging a cricket bat or anything that I need to use both hands, in which case I take a left handed position!

Right eye weaker than left but still use it since diopter can adjust. Right handed, but eat with knife in left hand and fork in right. Never understood this eating malarky - your knife just moves backwards and forwards but your fork has to move in all directions as well as aim. My grandparents were horrified but my parents didn't care.
I'm left-handed and I expect you'll be my mirror image as I use fork in left, knife in right when using both but knife in left if just using that. My ex-BiL is the same as you.

I generally use my right eye even though it seems my left eye is currently closer to 20:20 and my dominant one. Previously I had mixed dominance using my left eye for distant subjects & my right eye for close ups :cool:
FWIW I'm also predominantly right handed (I can write with either but it's quicker with the right) & very strongly right eared..

Right handed, but eat with knife in left hand and fork in right. Never understood this eating malarky - your knife just moves backwards and forwards but your fork has to move in all directions as well as aim. My grandparents were horrified but my parents didn't care.
Perhaps it stems from when meat needed more effort in cutting.

Last edited:
Right for me. I can only wink with my left eye, for some reason I've never been able to close just my right eye but have no problems with closing my left on it's own. Right handed too if that makes any difference

Back