Left or Right

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
Having trouble deciding how to place a bird within a frame. Which is best?

GSC_8068 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

GSC_8067 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Any tips - I'm guessing it can be down to which way the bird is facing, and also it's pose.

There are multiple options depending on the final use
of the image and the original source of motivation.

I adhere to two of these but not the third (no order).

The birders approach

The second frame will be preferred by birders and they
made a rule of leaving more room on the side the bird is
looking or moving.

The layout approach
All depending on the planned position on a spread, both
of your versions are very acceptable.

The image hunters approach
It is all up to your sense for communication and good taste.
No rule, just communication and good taste. One may add
the purpose of documentation to the list, where renditions may
be less artistic intent and more "real life elements" in the take.

Last edited:
Well its all subjective but the first (right) looks a much better overall composition to me. There's so much dead space in the second photo. YMMV!

I think you are right!! I prefer 1 too actually. The blue section is more central and takes up the empty space and adds some interest

Errrm, the background you got confuses me (only two brain cells and neither seems to be functioning right now). Generally I would have said more space in the direction the subject is looking or moving towards to. Do consider portrait too :D

Errrm, the background you got confuses me (only two brain cells and neither seems to be functioning right now). Generally I would have said more space in the direction the subject is looking or moving towards to. Do consider portrait too :D

Yes, I started shooting towards the house, instead out outwards towards the garden. I thought I'd try it to get some more light in the evening as the house is quite light coloured, where as the garden is quite dark and black at this time of the day.

My PP knowledge only goes as far as adjusting the exposure ... the bird seems a bit underexposed. Over to you.

I prefer the bird looking into the frame and with these i find the solid block of blue fighting for my attention.

My PP knowledge only goes as far as adjusting the exposure ... the bird seems a bit underexposed. Over to you.

Yes, it was badly underexposed, and I've added as much exposure as I can with highlights right down at the bottom. Anymore and I'd blow out the background. Not a great shot - just thought I'd ask for opinion about framing though

GSC_8068-2 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Tried it flipped, but not sure

I prefer the bird looking into the frame and with these i find the solid block of blue fighting for my attention.

I hear you!! Maybe unnatural colour is not the way to go with birds

My attention is on the bird, not the background, so second one for me. Personally, I prefer to see the space in which the subject is looking into, even if that is a big bit of space. :)

Yes, it was badly underexposed, and I've added as much exposure as I can with highlights right down at the bottom. Anymore and I'd blow out the background.

Yes it would make the background even whiter, that is why I suggested portrait. Cut the blue out completely ... see if it works on white only. The blue distracts and does not add anything.

Yes it would make the background even whiter, that is why I suggested portrait. Cut the blue out completely ... see if it works on white only. The blue distracts and does not add anything.

I've upped the exposure more, and cut most of the blue out. Should I get rid of all of the blue?

I've upped the exposure more, and cut most of the blue out. Should I get rid of all of the blue?

I thought I would have included half the blue you got but then I ended up with a square image. I see the background rather gray so it might take some more exposure (I have not tried as what I got won't play). Here is what I come up with given the background you got:

GilBev.jpg

I hear you!! Maybe unnatural colour is not the way to go with birds

Not the color its self i would find a blue background possibly better,its just the blue in these is a separate item in the picture, so for that first second of viewing my brain makes me look at both instead of being drawn to the bird.

Main reason, weight. My packed bag with D750 was 2 stone. I have to take everything...I know, I know, I don't have to take everything. I just always have.

Appreciate the feedback (y)

I thought I would have included half the blue you got but then I ended up with a square image. I see the background rather gray so it might take some more exposure (I have not tried as what I got won't play). Here is what I come up with given the background you got:

View attachment 106661

This shows what I was trying to formulate an explanation of how I'd either frame or crop a shot like this.

Back