Lehmanns of Stoke = FAIL

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Dropped of both MKIII'S the 400mm f/2.8, 300mm f/2.8 and 135mm f/2 on monday afternoon.

The MKIII'S were in for a clean, service and calibration.
The 3 lens were in for a calibration.

was told 2-3 days turn around for CPS members. They phoned me at 12 to say everything is ready :D

Scratch that, Kit came back worse than when i ****ing sent it, :bang: rocket up the arse time on monday morning!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
And now for the real question ... how much?

£218 for each body, £80 for each lens

Geeeeze !!!!!!

I have one lens I am having no joy with.. looks like 80 quid to get sorted then :(

I know but they haven't been touched since i bought them and if i only get it done once a year its not so bad

I know but they haven't been touched since i bought them and if i only get it done once a year its not so bad

Absoloutly.. I know many togs who get there cameras serviced every yr.. well one each yr so if they have two is every two yrs innit ... thats waht i planned to do then never did it :(

Just hope theyre OK Andy, before i moved to Nikon last year i had all my gear in at Lehmanns, 2x mk111's and a 400mm f/2.8 L IS anf they botched everything up, i made the 200 mile round trip 3 times as i wasnt prepared to have all that stuff in the post, one of my mk111's was brand new in the box and needed calibrating, they never got the 400mm lens done correctly even after 3 seperate calibrations.

It wasnt until canon extended their service centres to include extra drop off centre and i spoke with a guy at a Calumet service centre in Manchester that he told me it needed a brand new IS motor, he said he would speak to Lehmanns and eventually it got sorted, that along with the MK111 AF issues was why i moved to Canon

I took it to Manchester to drop it off, he stripped it in front of me and showed me the gyros were knackered hence throwing the AF off, they arent allowed to do any work other than basic sensor cleans etc, ets but he used to work in Elstree before moving to Manchester and clearly knew his onions, he sais Lehmanns should have known by the noise it was making that it was serious.

No cost at the end of the day, Lehmanns fitted new stuff at no charge and i then sold everything

Hmmmmm, and im now moving back to Canon.

Just hope theyre OK Andy, before i moved to Nikon last year i had all my gear in at Lehmanns, 2x mk111's and a 400mm f/2.8 L IS anf they botched everything up, i made the 200 mile round trip 3 times as i wasnt prepared to have all that stuff in the post, one of my mk111's was brand new in the box and needed calibrating, they never got the 400mm lens done correctly even after 3 seperate calibrations.

It wasnt until canon extended their service centres to include extra drop off centre and i spoke with a guy at a Calumet service centre in Manchester that he told me it needed a brand new IS motor, he said he would speak to Lehmanns and eventually it got sorted, that along with the MK111 AF issues was why i moved to Canon

I took it to Manchester to drop it off, he stripped it in front of me and showed me the gyros were knackered hence throwing the AF off, they arent allowed to do any work other than basic sensor cleans etc, ets but he used to work in Elstree before moving to Manchester and clearly knew his onions, he sais Lehmanns should have known by the noise it was making that it was serious.

No cost at the end of the day, Lehmanns fitted new stuff at no charge and i then sold everything

Hmmmmm, and im now moving back to Canon.

Thanks for that Gary :( fills me with confidence

Prices have shot up in the last year as well, i paid £110 for a MK111 calibrated, serviced and cleaned.

Theyll probably be fine, im just a Jonah.

Prices have shot up in the last year as well, i paid £110 for a MK111 calibrated, serviced and cleaned.

Theyll probably be fine, im just a Jonah.

Hope so, will find out friday morning. I'll be testing them before i leave the shop

just to fill you up with a bit more confidence im afraid :(

this is what happened about 2 weeks (first time of using it though) after it coming back from its second trip to be 'fixed' at lehmans.

(clickable)
first time it went to be repaired they fitted a faulty piece (so not really their fault) but still took 2/3 weeks to do that, so took it back with the faulty part and they had it for another 2 weeks or so then the above happened, took it back less than impressed by this point and they had it for a week then.

since then touch wood its been fine but now it wont be used much as i have the 50d.

thankfully all my work was done under warrenty still so free.

Last edited:
My story takes some beating

A few yrs ago when they where top cameras I took a 10d in .. was phoned to say its ready come pick up.. I went down and could they find it? Whats suprising is that they do all the repairs in house so where could it be?... They could only summise they must have sent it to someone else.. so they bought me a new one :)

I am sending one of my lenses into them tommorow for calibration so NOT worried...

Sorry Andy.. blame Gary for yer sleeples nights hahaha :)

Hmmm, dont want to say .......................................

I wouldnt trust them again after my last episode with them. send them to Elstree with a note explaining Lehmanns failure

Are you in CPS

Last edited:
Hmmm, dont want to say .......................................

I wouldnt trust them again after my last episode with them. send them to Elstree with a note explaining Lehmanns failure

Are you in CPS

Yes im a CPS member, will have to ring Canon and see what they say. I aint paying twice for it though, in fact i'll be looking for a refund from Lehmanns and seriously tempted to threaten breach of contract

having seen a couple of andys pictures.. i can see the grass a foot or more in front of the players is in focus... not just the odd time either.. If they had the camera AND the lens how can it be so far out? :(

will do some tests at the match on tuesday night with the AF microadjustment then we can check the files wed morning.

Fact is Andy, theyre a bunch of lazy shoddy workmen who probably haven't even touched your lenses, theres no way they had time to calibrate all 3 lenses to 2 seperate bodies, never mind clean and service them in that time frame.

They just test AF on static objects and set the camera to one shot, they dont care that you use AI Servo and to be honest im not sure how they could test the AF tracking in a small lab like they have.

Give them one chance to get it right and tell them you are also in touch with Frankie Jim who wants to know the outcome.

If you get no joy drop them off at Calumet in Manchester and explain the situation, make sure you tell them you wont accept the work being done at Lehmanns and that they should be sent to Elstree or Fixation.

Refuse to pay anything else.

Good idea Gary

I'll be speaking to Frankie tomorrow to complain about the shoddy work. I think im well within my rights to ask for a full refund

i sent them my 24-70 for calibration at the end of last week and they said 40 quid....

Last edited:
Noooo

I heard a few rumours about lehmanns and decided to send my camera and lens to Colchester Repair Services instead, sounds like i did the right thing tbh

I've never used Lehmanns, I have used Fixation (absolutely brilliant job) and Elstree who were also top notch.

I've used Fixation, Lehmanns and Elstree for sensor cleaning over the years.

On my one visit to Fixation they seemed only to move the dust around the sensor.

Lehmanns used to be good but on my last annual service made a real hash of it.

Elstree managed to get the "stuck on dirt" in the end, even if I did have to explain the intricacies of dust location geometry to the technician!

I heard a few rumours about lehmanns and decided to send my camera and lens to Colchester Repair Services instead, sounds like i did the right thing tbh

Sent mine to Colchester end of last year, Could'nt fault the service, Camera fully cleaned, repaired and serviced for £169 inc postage, turned round in 3 days(y)

df has had experience with Lehmanns which wasn't exactly satisfactory either.

A quick update.

Spent yesterday morning testing the kit with Phil (Purpleclouds) and we've got everything callibrated now using the Micro Adjustment Cfn.

The 400 is on +5 for both bodies, the 300 is on +5 and zero, and the 135 is at zero on both bodies

Results from Blackpool Vs Middlesbrough last night were much better than the PNE Vs Blackpool at the weekend :)

Great, you up for Friday then?

If I`m not working......;)

Stag3-1.jpg

My camera was repaird at Lehmanns, they told me it would be a 2-3 day turn arround, 27 days later I got it back!

Just over 3 weeks ago I sent my 24-70 for a 40 quid calibration..

376 quid later I should finally get it back tommorow...

Makes ya wanna cry :(

Just over 3 weeks ago I sent my 24-70 for a 40 quid calibration..

376 quid later I should finally get it back tommorow...

Makes ya wanna cry :(

Ouch, what was wrong with it in the end to justify that ?

Ouch, what was wrong with it in the end to justify that ?

i presume i will get a job sheet with the lens.. but if this is a clue guides?

we have been in touch with Canon UK the part we are waiting for(guides) are in transit from Amsterdam Eta Monday next week

Back