Leica M-D - the $6k camera with no screen...

I'm pretty sure the lack of a screen is nothing to do with robustness or battery life and everything to do with the way you feel about it, the enjoyment and of course marketing.

I've done my time with rf's and I doubt I'll go back as I see what are for me big disadvantages in rf's and advantages for other ways of creating a picture. For those who want the rf experience there are cheaper ways of getting it, or there's Leica and whilst there's nothing in the Leica experience for me choice is good and they'll sell every one they make. Good luck to Leica and their buyers, it just doesn't affect me.

I'm pretty sure the lack of a screen is nothing to do with robustness or battery life and everything to do with the way you feel about it, the enjoyment and of course marketing.

I've done my time with rf's and I doubt I'll go back as I see what are for me big disadvantages in rf's and advantages for other ways of creating a picture. For those who want the rf experience there are cheaper ways of getting it, or there's Leica and whilst there's nothing in the Leica experience for me choice is good and they'll sell every one they make. Good luck to Leica and their buyers, it just doesn't affect me.

It is important to keep Leica alive and German, (don't ask me why), and if the rich want to wear them as "jewellery" as they do with many other things, that certainly helps

I don't agree - I grew up shooting film and loved the old film cameras, so guess what, I kept one of my old film cameras :)

Making a digital camera without a rear screen is like buying a new car, then removing the ABS, air bags and power steering (after paying a premium to do so) because you loved the British Leyland cars of the 70's, lol!

It just doesn't make sense to me.

Love old film cameras and the anticipation of shooting film, buy an old film body, it's a *lot* cheaper too.

I know what you mean. Maybe it's more like buying a full-faring motorbike and removing all the faring to turn it into a cafe racer. :D

There will be people out there; probably can't call them "purists" but people who want to shoot as if they were shooting film but without the hassle of dealing with film. Yes, you can turn the screen off but it still wouldn't give you the feel that the M-D will.

Heck, the more I debate the idea the more I want one and I didn't want one when I first replied to this thread. I blame you for this, Jim . :wacky:

Last edited:
Yes, although probably around 25% less expensive, according to "Cameras, the Facts" (Focal Books, 1981).

I have also still got a Nikon S - as heavy as a lump of lead - again expensive new - Leica have been the only ones to continue with RF - (except of course the Japanese "take over" of Voitlander)

100% fair comment. I don't think they are for everyone. The confusion for me stems from those that slate the cameras and Leica in general, having never used one.

I don't agree - I grew up shooting film and loved the old film cameras, so guess what, I kept one of my old film cameras :)

Making a digital camera without a rear screen is like buying a new car, then removing the ABS, air bags and power steering (after paying a premium to do so) because you loved the British Leyland cars of the 70's, lol!

It just doesn't make sense to me.

Love old film cameras and the anticipation of shooting film, buy an old film body, it's a *lot* cheaper too.

I've got a car like that - take a Mitsubishi FTO GPX, take out the ABS, sound proofing, climate control, electric gizmos, fog lamps, side skirts and put Version R stickers on. Charge a small fortune extra. Then go get the fog lamps and side skirts and put them back on, add an Aero Edition sticker and charge some more money and you have a ridiculously rare car, because nobody was stupid enough to pay twice for standard fit parts!

I've got a car like that - take a Mitsubishi FTO GPX, take out the ABS, sound proofing, climate control, electric gizmos, fog lamps, side skirts and put Version R stickers on. Charge a small fortune extra. Then go get the fog lamps and side skirts and put them back on, add an Aero Edition sticker and charge some more money and you have a ridiculously rare car, because nobody was stupid enough to pay twice for standard fit parts!

Roll on the Leica RS or Club Sport

Anyone of an artistic nature want to create me a red dot with the text "Likea" in the correct font? Want to stick them on my baby X and X-Pro1!!! :p

Anyone of an artistic nature want to create me a red dot with the text "Likea" in the correct font? Want to stick them on my baby X and X-Pro1!!! :p

I'd have a black one - much more discrete .................

mine fell off, (very painful), I called Leica and they sent me a new one free

I think that I saw some knock off ones on EBay once

I've some sticky red dots, but they don't say Leica.

_DSC1417.jpg

100% fair comment. I don't think they are for everyone. The confusion for me stems from those that slate the cameras and Leica in general, having never used one.
I think Leica do have unique selling points at least for rf's and also to a point with the non rf digital manual experience although they don't have that market completely to themselves as there is also the Sony A7 series to chose from. In those markets I don't think buying Leica needs to be defended, they're a valid choice, as has been said, if you want the rf and / or the manual lens experience your choices are limited so in that respect Leica are not just a brand choice. One branch of the Leica brand I can't really see the appeal of the Leica badged Panasonics, buying those just makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
It seems like a sound marketing idea to me.
I can see the attraction in it.

I think Leica do have unique selling points at least for rf's and also to a point with the non rf digital manual experience although they don't have that market completely to themselves as there is also the Sony A7 series to chose from. In those markets I don't think buying Leica needs to be defended, they're a valid choice, as has been said, if you want the rf and / or the manual lens experience your choices are limited so in that respect Leica are not just a brand choice. One branch of the Leica brand I can't really see the appeal of the Leica badged Panasonics, buying those just makes no sense to me.

Yeah I'm not sure on the whole Leica badged Panasonics. Allegedly there is software tweaks and slight improvements to the sensor tech but I'm not sure I 100% buy that. I may be wrong.

Yeah I'm not sure on the whole Leica badged Panasonics. Allegedly there is software tweaks and slight improvements to the sensor tech but I'm not sure I 100% buy that. I may be wrong.
I may be wrong... but I'm sure I've read reviews that say that the sensors are the same and the only differences are the repackaging, tweaks to the jpeg output and the free software.

None of this is new though, I used to work with a white goods manufacturer and I forget how many different badges went on the same product made in the same factory :D For whatever reason some people just prefer to buy one badge over another, not that there's anything wrong with that, I suppose, but when the difference is hundreds of pounds it's something that I personally wouldn't consciously do. But the higher end products, the rf's and the other non badge jobs need no defending, IMO. They can stand on their own and be bought or not on their merit and along with others here I don't really see any point in or reason to sneer at the cameras or the buyers.

Last edited:
I may be wrong... but I'm sure I've read reviews that say that the sensors are the same and the only differences are the repackaging, tweaks to the jpeg output and the free software.

None of this is new though, I used to work with a white goods manufacturer and I forget how many different badges went on the same product made in the same factory :D For whatever reason some people just prefer to buy one badge over another, not that there's anything wrong with that, I suppose, but when the difference is hundreds of pounds it's something that I personally wouldn't consciously do. But the higher end products, the rf's and the other non badge jobs need no defending, IMO. They can stand on their own and be bought or not on their merit and along with others here I don't really see any point in or reason to sneer at the cameras or the buyers.

I'd read that too. It wouldn't surprise me if it was the case. Both products look identical apart from the badge. I think Leica did some funky limited edition tri colour compacts however... ick!

Totally agree with your finishing statement. Everyone has their preferred "tool" as it were :)

They can stand on their own and be bought or not on their merit and along with others here I don't really see any point in or reason to sneer at the cameras or the buyers.

My guess and it's no more than a guess, is that it's a form of Newtonian action/reaction, when it comes to Leica.

A few people make fatuous claims of how much better than anything else the cameras and lenses are, which leads others to make equally fatuous counter claims about the flaws in the stuff. I do wonder if there are elements of trollery at work or it's just misplaced zeal.

My guess and it's no more than a guess, is that it's a form of Newtonian action/reaction, when it comes to Leica.

A few people make fatuous claims of how much better than anything else the cameras and lenses are, which leads others to make equally fatuous counter claims about the flaws in the stuff. I do wonder if there are elements of trollery at work or it's just misplaced zeal.

I think that anything that gathers a fan base is going to also attract detractors.

I think it's maybe the prices and elitist image (and at times attitude?) that some have a pop at but if we try and get past those things I don't think that anyone can really argue too much against the lenses being attractive if their particular traits appeal and I suppose then it's only a little stretch to accept that the lenses will probably be at their best on the system they were designed to be used on and then we've accepted that Leica's can make sense :D

Maybe it's no different to enthusiasts waxing lyrically about fine wines or car buffs droning on about flat 6's v V8's. The enthusing and language is going to ruffle a few feathers amongst those who just don't get it but if it doesn't appeal we don't have to be involved and as the song says "If you don't give a damn about the man with the bible in his hand just get out the way and let the gentleman do his thing" :D

I think that anything that gathers a fan base is going to also attract detractors.

I think it's maybe the prices and elitist image (and at times attitude?) that some have a pop at but if we try and get past those things I don't think that anyone can really argue too much against the lenses being attractive if their particular traits appeal and I suppose then it's only a little stretch to accept that the lenses will probably be at their best on the system they were designed to be used on and then we've accepted that Leica's can make sense :D

Maybe it's no different to enthusiasts waxing lyrically about fine wines or car buffs droning on about flat 6's v V8's. The enthusing and language is going to ruffle a few feathers amongst those who just don't get it but if it doesn't appeal we don't have to be involved and as the song says "If you don't give a damn about the man with the bible in his hand just get out the way and let the gentleman do his thing" :D
But Leica isn't the V8 of the photographic world, or even a fine wine. Not anymore anyway, the cameras themselves are rather ordinary and underwhelming compared to the more contemporary offerings, which is more the issue when price and attitude come to the fore.

Last edited:
But Leica isn't the V8 of the photographic world, or even a fine wine. Not anymore anyway, the cameras themselves are rather ordinary and underwhelming compared to the more contemporary offerings, which is more the issue when price and attitude come to the fore.

No. They're not wine or engines... and some wines and engines are better than others but you get the point..

but if it doesn't appeal we don't have to be involved and as the song says "If you don't give a damn about the man with the bible in his hand just get out the way and let the gentleman do his thing" :D

That's definitely one way of seeing it but there's an opposing view, and one I think equally in line with the "democracy" of a forum: when you see wrong, call it.

"Wrong" in this context, of course, being things you don't agree with. The trick is to keep from thinking your view of what's "right" and what's "wrong" is the only valid one.

I wish for a new digital camera with no video, monochrome only, full frame 35-40mm fixed lens or just one lens in that range with full controls on the lens, Wi-Fi would bonus too so if I could be bothered I could check the photo on my larger mobile phone screen!, I don't need a load of AF running into the hundreds, stupid page after page of menus, when I use about 5 different things. Well Canon wont make one, Nikon wont make one, Fuji or Sony might make one. Plain and simple, the people that don't get Leica are the ones that generally want every possible feature and the kitchen sink on a camera. That take 10 photos when one or two will do, then spend ages deleting said multiple images, generally like zooms and want to take 4 or 5 large lens on holiday to travel light. Its nothing to do with price, elitism, something's are just unimportant to a photographer. I am currently saving hard for a Leica M 246, if they make one without video or even LCD that would be a bonus for me, less stuff I don't require. If they don't release that I will buy a 246 and never use the video, shame that.

I get the point that modern digital cameras have a wealth of features but nobody is actually forced to use any of them? I have a Sony A6000 as my main digital kit with its associated in-depth Sony menu but I very rarely use many of the options. I generally shoot Aperture priority and adjust accordingly or if I want to use my manual glass I set it on the lens. I also understand the draw of a luxury brand/product but paying more to have less features so they don't distract me seems like a justification for a issue that isn't really there?

I think it is great.
Simple as that.
That's how I use my Olympus e-P1 with pancake prime and OVF anyway.
If Leica were sensible prices I'd buy a used one down the line, I'm not kidding.

It's a great bit of marketing....leave out the screen and all its attendant electronic circuitry, reducing production costs, and sell it for a premium by convincing people it's a good idea.

Personally I would never buy any Leica anyway, the idea of paying for a brand rather than for performance does not appeal to me, but I am sure lots of fans will fall for it.

It's a great bit of marketing....leave out the screen and all its attendant electronic circuitry, reducing production costs, and sell it for a premium by convincing people it's a good idea.

Personally I would never buy any Leica anyway, the idea of paying for a brand rather than for performance does not appeal to me, but I am sure lots of fans will fall for it.

I think you've missed the point with Leica. There may be some who buy it because of it's price and name but more still buy Leicas because they're ruddy good cameras and lenses and produce a style of image that isn't produced by other brands. Frankly, if you've never used one and never will then your comment is not just insulting to Leica users but also one based on ignorance instead of experience and fact.

Interesting that you feel that Leica buyers are "paying for a brand rather than performance" ....... obviously it depends on the skill of the photographer but there are many out there who buy Leica for performance ....... don't get hung up on the price ....... look at the facts ....... Leica produce a very good "instrument" and extremely good lens .. which stand the test of time

they are extremely quick and easy cameras to use and very unobtrusive

(I have a few pairs of old Leica binos which are still very good and I would not think of upgrading them)

Last edited:
I only buy Swiss made mechanical watches. I'm sure there are plenty of Japanese movements that are equally as finely built and would no doubt save me a good 70-90% when compared to an Swiss brand such as an Omega or a CW. But they have a certain charisma that the Japanese watches lack and I see the same with cameras.

The only cameras that seem to offer anything close are the xpro and penF. But as with anything Japanese, they have the kitchen sink thrown at them (the same as a Seiko watch) when some elegent simplicity is all the buyer is after and would happily pay the premium for.

It's not all about the feature set. It's also about the experience and I would love to have a Leica but just can't afford it. When I look at the features I use on my Fuji I see I run aperture priority and enjoy manual control with dials over the other aspects of the experience such as ISO, exposure comp and shutter speed. The rest i am not fussed about although as they are there they may get used just through habit rather than need.

A good Japanese watch will set you back around £250 where as a good Swiss watch will cost in excess of £1500.

A good camera can easily come in around £1000 if your sensible so seeing the Leica at £4000 is to be expected. It's a shame but as with anything there are these brand placebos that inflate a price. Just look at the automotive industry for a start as there are cars in the extreme price ranges that don't perform any better than something a tenth of the price or on the flip side there are cars that offer technology on par or beyond the extremes but lack the outright performance. These cars, the latter, these are your leicas and they get purchased just because of the way they can make that owner feel rather than what they have to offer outright.

There's a fine balance between supply and demand and marketing and if the balance is right you can charge what you want. Leica have this nailed the same as Rolex do in the Swiss watch world.

Last edited:
Interesting that you feel that Leica buyers are "paying for a brand rather than performance" ....... obviously it depends on the skill of the photographer but there are many out there who buy Leica for performance ....... don't get hung up on the price ....... look at the facts ....... Leica produce a very good "instrument" and extremely good lens .. which stand the test of time

they are extremely quick and easy cameras to use and very unobtrusive

Absolutely. I shot Leica for years and it had nothing to do with the brand. I shot a lot of music bands in very low light venues where flash photography was prohibited. There was no better system than the Leica M6 and lenses at the time. The images it could produce in difficult conditions were stunning and the overall rendition like no other camera I've seen before or since.

Last edited:
Performance, that's the point you have missed completely.

That's definitely one way of seeing it but there's an opposing view, and one I think equally in line with the "democracy" of a forum: when you see wrong, call it.

"Wrong" in this context, of course, being things you don't agree with. The trick is to keep from thinking your view of what's "right" and what's "wrong" is the only valid one.
Oh I don't and I'm all for furum chat.

When making the comments I've made here I'm thinking more of the very vocal and repeated detractors.

Saying that a Leica camera isn't the best in class is quite obviously perfectly fine but doesn't necessarily consider the ownership and user experience which I think has to be a part of any what to buy process. Having repeated pops at Leica as a brand / ethos is imo much less good :D

I only buy Swiss made mechanical watches.

Interesting and I'm often surprised when I read views like this. As someone currently wearing a mechanical Swiss watch... I'd never buy a brand and even less a country of manufacture on that basis alone except if I was buying British :D and even then I'd only do it if the thing was the best or near the best for me.

And on the watch front... I'm sure you do realise that th
e Swiss are relative newcomers and that once upon a time the British brands were the most desirable. There are some very good British brands at the moment and one brand which offers relatively affordable watches is moving towards 100% British manufacture. If when they get there I just might treat myself as I'm sure that the build and accuracy will be a match for any Swiss watch of similar price.

Other than buying British when justified and defendable I just don't buy into brands and I do struggle to fully understand people who do, even more so when we're talking non buyer home contry manufacture.

Interesting and I'm often surprised when I read views like this. As someone currently wearing a mechanical Swiss watch... I'd never buy a brand and even less a country of manufacture on that basis alone except if I was buying British :D and even then I'd only do it if the thing was the best or near the best for me.

And on the watch front... I'm sure you do realise that th
e Swiss are relative newcomers and that once upon a time the British brands were the most desirable. There are some very good British brands at the moment and one brand which offers relatively affordable watches is moving towards 100% British manufacture. If when they get there I just might treat myself as I'm sure that the build and accuracy will be a match for any Swiss watch of similar price.

Other than buying British when justified and defendable I just don't buy into brands and I do struggle to fully understand people who do, even more so when we're talking non buyer home contry manufacture.

I was being a bit vague I guess when I said that but I wasn't really expecting many who reply to really know much about a the inner workings of a watch and the finer details of when watches were originally built and who was at that time the better at it. I guess with all forums there are cross interests so my part on the assumption was probably a little dumb.

I guess then to further on my post and to round up what you have essentially said then I should say that my favourite watches are of a British brand that contain Swiss movements and bespoke Swiss movements that are "Swiss made" rather than "Swiss mov.t".

www.christopherward.co.uk are a London based brand that feature the thought process and design of a British backer/founder with the inner workings and mechanical know how of some of the best Swiss watch makers combined. The nicer stuff is upwards of £1500 but some start at as little as £200 for Swiss made electronic movements which as a stepping stone into quality British design and the perception (proven quaolity) of the Swiss movements makes for is a superb break through for British brand watches. Anyway, I've run off the beaten track with this so back to what I guess is my point.

The perception is like the Swiss movements in that Leica has by far the best quality, design and craftsmanship even though similar quality and design can be found elsewhere at a fraction of the cost. The problem is these other brands are perceived to be mere imitations and thus we revert back to the marketing animal that made this perception a reality for Leica and their ability to charge pretty much what they want as a result.

People will pay it and even though objectively is seems stupid, to some he subjectivity of their thought process and choices will ultimately be what leads to a purchase and Leica as a brand able to continue to be at that premium.

Last edited:
There is no denying that Leica make very good cameras. If people want to pay over the odds for a brand, it's their money and their choice.

Personally, I have (and have had since childhood) a deep-rooted aversion to the power of brands over modern society. I think it plays a major part in a lot of the world's problems. It fosters elitism, contributes massively to the incredible wastage caused by people wanting the latest whatever (though admittedly this is not really relevant regarding Leica or Swiss watches) and leads to envy and one-upmanship.

If I ever bought a Leica the first thing I would do is remove the red dot.

There is no denying that Leica make very good cameras. If people want to pay over the odds for a brand, it's their money and their choice.

Personally, I have (and have had since childhood) a deep-rooted aversion to the power of brands over modern society. I think it plays a major part in a lot of the world's problems. It fosters elitism, contributes massively to the incredible wastage caused by people wanting the latest whatever (though admittedly this is not really relevant regarding Leica or Swiss watches) and leads to envy and one-upmanship.

I don't think Leica intend to take over the world - it is only with a good product that they are financially viable - they are a specialist producer that only make small quantities, they cannot compete with the Japanese.

We should be thankful that they are still in business and that they are successful because people want to use what they produce, (not just hang it around their necks)

On your "removal of the red dot point" - the man in the street would not recognise a Leica and probably would not know who Leica are ......... ask the young - the 18 to 40 age group ..... they would know Nikon and Canon, but not Leica

Jon, I loathe fanboyism and elitism but I also loathe those who sneer at others through ignorant, blinkered and inexperienced eyes. Once again you've placed yourself on some self-righteous and frankly, pompous pedestal and told Leica users they are just paying over the odds for a brand and you do this having never used a Leica.

15 years ago in 2001 I started MUG (Leica M User Group) on Yahoo groups. I did so to get away from the attitude you exemplify, whether that attitude be pro or anti Leica or anything else. The group is now over 2000 members strong who rarely discuss equipment but instead choose to discuss technique and the images they produce. No-one on that group paid over the odds for a brand; they paid what they were prepared and able to pay for a camera system that produced, in the right hands, the kind of images they wanted.

There are many things that cause problems in our world today and one of the biggest culprits is ignorance.

Jon, I loathe fanboyism and elitism but I also loathe those who sneer at others through ignorant, blinkered and inexperienced eyes. Once again you've placed yourself on some self-righteous and frankly, pompous pedestal and told Leica users they are just paying over the odds for a brand and you do this having never used a Leica.

15 years ago in 2001 I started MUG (Leica M User Group) on Yahoo groups. I did so to get away from the attitude you exemplify, whether that attitude be pro or anti Leica or anything else. The group is now over 2000 members strong who rarely discuss equipment but instead choose to discuss technique and the images they produce. No-one on that group paid over the odds for a brand; they paid what they were prepared and able to pay for a camera system that produced, in the right hands, the kind of images they wanted.

There are many things that cause problems in our world today and one of the biggest culprits is ignorance.
Self righteous, pompous, ignorant, blinkered, sneering? He only said people pay over the odds for a brand.

You are taking the tone of this thread to another level. It looks to me like you are very sensitive about this. Some may think that is a fanboy reaction.

Last edited:
Not having a screen on the back is nothing new. You just clip your smartphone on it, activate the wifi and the app and away you go. A clever way to save the cost of a screen as most carry one around in their pocket anyway.

I wish for a new digital camera with no video, monochrome only, full frame 35-40mm fixed lens or just one lens in that range with full controls on the lens, Wi-Fi would bonus too so if I could be bothered I could check the photo on my larger mobile phone screen!, I don't need a load of AF running into the hundreds, stupid page after page of menus, when I use about 5 different things. Well Canon wont make one, Nikon wont make one, Fuji or Sony might make one. Plain and simple, the people that don't get Leica are the ones that generally want every possible feature and the kitchen sink on a camera. That take 10 photos when one or two will do, then spend ages deleting said multiple images, generally like zooms and want to take 4 or 5 large lens on holiday to travel light. Its nothing to do with price, elitism, something's are just unimportant to a photographer. I am currently saving hard for a Leica M 246, if they make one without video or even LCD that would be a bonus for me, less stuff I don't require. If they don't release that I will buy a 246 and never use the video, shame that.
I don't get Leica. I'm not bothered about bells and whistles or even video. I just want to take nice photos and I love primes (and half my lenses are primes) more than zooms. I just want to take photos. And have a rear screen.

I don't get Leica. I'm not bothered about bells and whistles or even video. I just want to take nice photos and I love primes (and half my lenses are primes) more than zooms. I just want to take photos. And have a rear screen.
Yes but this camera, being different, widens our choice. You and me won't want one. But different people like different things. The more choice we have the better. And I probably don't want the camera you have, and vice versa.

Last edited:
Back