Leica q

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
so..does anyone have opinions on Leica's latest offering v. The competition...not that there seems to be much..quite like the idea of a full frame , smallish camera with a fixed length lens..it is quite expensive however!

Well, it certainly looks interesting but the focal length doesn't appeal to me and as an amateur I would be concerned about the depreciation on such a camera.... in terms of competition there isn't really any at that focal length is there?

Looks nice but on the whole it's not for me and I'd much rather go for a cheaper FF option, a Sony A7 with 28mm f2, 35mm f2.8 or 55mm f1.8. I haven't checked the prices too closely but maybe for the cost of the Leica an A7 + more than one lens could be bought and then you could pick and choose which one lens solution to go with from day to day.

Looks nice but on the whole it's not for me and I'd much rather go for a cheaper FF option, a Sony A7 with 28mm f2, 35mm f2.8 or 55mm f1.8. I haven't checked the prices too closely but maybe for the cost of the Leica an A7 + more than one lens could be bought and then you could pick and choose which one lens solution to go with from day to day.

This :):agree:

Or the RX1/r @ 35mm

Small and with a quality lens but AFAIK there's no in built EVF which means shooting with the back screen which I find mostly a horrible way to live or fitting an add on EVF to the hotshoe? I've never liked the thought of this as it just looks like something just waiting to fall/snap off. Given the choice I'd choose an integrated EVF every time and in fact I'd rather use my old crappy Panasonic G1 than a RX1 with an add on EVF. But that's just me :D

so..does anyone have opinions on Leica's latest offering v. The competition...not that there seems to be much..quite like the idea of a full frame , smallish camera with a fixed length lens..it is quite expensive however!

It looks really nice. £2900 is cheap for a full frame Leica and what looks like an impressive lens.

i think i will stick with their m series which seems the ideal size - im also not keen on the idea of an evf as there is no substitute for a "real" optical viewfinder

i think i will stick with their m series which seems the ideal size - im also not keen on the idea of an evf as there is no substitute for a "real" optical viewfinder
I do quite like the evf ( which is apparently a v good one ).. I sometimes struggle with the whole eye / glasses / viewfinder interface.

It's a matter of opinion but personally I'd not like to go back to an OVF now. The good EVF's are good and the benefits of the electronic side of it are many, magnified view, peaking, zebras in view histogram, WYSIWYG, level displays and probably other things too. If you want to focus manually IMVHO an EVF is the way to do it as the accuracy that's possible is beyond anything that can possibly be achieved with an unaided optical system and of course there's the exposure benefits, you never have to blow your highlights again.

I've heard and read a lot of good stuff on the Q. The EVF looks to be pretty good. I like what Leica have done and I think it simplifies things like the X100 does by having a fixed focal length but at the cost, I am not sure sure. The focal length wouldn't suit me all the time either.

Also I would be intrigued on how reliable the sensor and components are long term.

It's a matter of opinion but personally I'd not like to go back to an OVF now. The good EVF's are good and the benefits of the electronic side of it are many, magnified view, peaking, zebras in view histogram, WYSIWYG, level displays and probably other things too. If you want to focus manually IMVHO an EVF is the way to do it as the accuracy that's possible is beyond anything that can possibly be achieved with an unaided optical system and of course there's the exposure benefits, you never have to blow your highlights again.
The thing that drew to the M series was the simplicity and minimalism of the system - the only controls are shutter dial, aperture ring, focus ring and shutter button and that's all you actually need to take a photo. OK there is the option of changing the ISO but I mainly just use the native ISO of 160. Modern cameras have so many "bells and whistles" they are more like using a computer with a lens than using a camera.

It looks like a great offering from Leica and I do not think it is overpriced if the build quality is even as good as the Vario-X. Perhaps this launch will waken Sony from their slumbers and nudge them to release the long-awaited RX1/R successor!

The Leica Q certainly looks WAY more ergonomic than the Sony RX1 - just had a look at photos and the sony does not even have a shutter dial!

I thought I'd like the shutter dial- but I actually prefer having 2 dials for adjusting, I still really like apperture control on the lens, but I don't like shutter control on the top of the camera, it feels un-ergonomic to me

It looks like a great offering from Leica and I do not think it is overpriced if the build quality is even as good as the Vario-X. Perhaps this launch will waken Sony from their slumbers and nudge them to release the long-awaited RX1/R successor!

Leica q looks absolutely gorgeous, like I want to save up and buy one, the a7ii I have is so freaking ugly, and the fuji I have is pretty but just isn't there quality wise (quality of image and quality of construction...)

I'm tempted to sell a bunch of stuff to fund the leica q. Wish it was 35mm though

I thought I'd like the shutter dial- but I actually prefer having 2 dials for adjusting, I still really like apperture control on the lens, but I don't like shutter control on the top of the camera, it feels un-ergonomic to me
I can't think where else a shutter dial could go apart from the top - never seen one anywhere else.

I'm tempted to sell a bunch of stuff to fund the leica q. Wish it was 35mm though

Aye. Not that I'm really in Leica's target market (way to expensive for my pockets) but if I had to live with just one focal length, I would take 35mm over 28mm every time. It works on my XA and my Rollei 35 is 40mm, which may be even better for my needs.

Granted you can crop, but 28mm is perhaps just a little too wide.

Last edited:
I can't think where else a shutter dial could go apart from the top - never seen one anywhere else.

I mean having just a control wheel to adjust it, like a dslr
I like to to be able to adjust settings without taking my eye from the viewfinder, I can adjust aperture without moving my eye away but I can't really adjust shutter when the dial is on the top, I just end up poking myself on the eye ha

I mean having just a control wheel to adjust it, like a dslr
I like to to be able to adjust settings without taking my eye from the viewfinder, I can adjust aperture without moving my eye away but I can't really adjust shutter when the dial is on the top, I just end up poking myself on the eye ha
Can't say I've ever wanted to adjust shutter or aperture settings while looking through the viewfinder as to me the viewfinder is simply a framing aid (or focussing aid if I need to use the rangefinder patch - but I'm using zone focus mainly)

28mm isn't my thing unfortunately, I owned a RX1 for a while and it was enjoyable but the P&S nature of it bored me, so I'd presume the Q would be the same. I guess Domart would prefer shutter dial to work as the clicky silver wheel on the new M can be used to adjust exposure compensation. That would be nice if one wanted to keep their eye at the finder.

Leica q looks absolutely gorgeous, like I want to save up and buy one, the a7ii I have is so freaking ugly, and the fuji I have is pretty but just isn't there quality wise (quality of image and quality of construction...)

I've got a Olympus EM-5 with the P-25 1.4, O-45-1.8, V-17.5 0.9 & O-9-18 & thinking the same. The photos I've seen look really good, and I wondering if I 'scale back' to 1 lens/camera I'll enjoy it, as I mainly use my camera as a de-stress free time tool. As with everyone else, just wondering if 28mm is just to a bit to wide. I think I will try to use my wide angle at 28mm just to see if I can enjoy it. Looks a lovely camera :)

I just love it!

I did have an M2 for a short while and now have the Leica bug again! I do have a Fuji X100T to play with and it is very nice, but you can't beat the real thing! Interested to see if the ISO performance is any good, as Leica digitals do not have the greatest reputation!

The thing that drew to the M series was the simplicity and minimalism of the system - the only controls are shutter dial, aperture ring, focus ring and shutter button and that's all you actually need to take a photo. OK there is the option of changing the ISO but I mainly just use the native ISO of 160. Modern cameras have so many "bells and whistles" they are more like using a computer with a lens than using a camera.

This is an argument that appears time after time and I always wonder if I'm the only one who only enters the menu to format the card. That's it. Well, 99.9% of the time that's it. I do go into the menu to set the clock when they go forward and back so that's another twice a year but other than formatting the card and altering the clock... I'm struggling to think of something else I do in the menu even twice a year.

Can I ask, do you use the Q to take pics of your kids? Does the 28mm distort them to much or do you find it ok? (looking at your pic)

I just love it!

I did have an M2 for a short while and now have the Leica bug again! I do have a Fuji X100T to play with and it is very nice, but you can't beat the real thing! Interested to see if the ISO performance is any good, as Leica digitals do not have the greatest reputation!

This is an argument that appears time after time and I always wonder if I'm the only one who only enters the menu to format the card. That's it. Well, 99.9% of the time that's it. I do go into the menu to set the clock when they go forward and back so that's another twice a year but other than formatting the card and altering the clock... I'm struggling to think of something else I do in the menu even twice a year.

+1

Never used an Olympus OM1 (or other from that range) then?

Never used an Olympus OM1 (or other from that range) then?
OK, I notice an olympus OM1 has the shutter dial round the lens mount but I wonder if this could get accidentally jogged while switching aperture. Still far better than the "fly by wire" shutter dials on a modern dslr with no actual markings on the dial itself.

Just been looking at the Ashwin Rao review at Steve Huff & clicked on Ashwins flickr page with the Q. Man, the rendering of this camera is really nice. I've been thinking about a M9, but held back due to their unreliability & older tech. I love the rendering from it though. The Q seem to hit the spot, as it renders not unlike the M9 & you get a modern camera. I'm also unsure about the 28mm, but looking Ashwins pics, it pretty much covers everything I want to do apart from portrait shots. Perfect for street and landscape (my 2 favorite) Man, that rendering...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ashwinrao1/sets/72157654470404392

I checked out the Q and it's a very handsome camera. It's reasonably priced for Leica. But I guess I'm just not an EVF person (for now).

Dont think this guy could have hated it any more, many may agree or disagree which is fine but I must say its refreshing to see a photographer that doesnt have to lick the balls of the manufacturer like all the rest do

http://www.samhurdphotography.com/2...-q-camera-review-mirrorless-full-frame-camera

I am not a Leica fan, too young to appreciate their history/appeal I guess and could never justify the cost anyway. Having said that the vast majority of the complains of the above 'review' (really not a review more like superficial impressions) are either options that he can ignore if he wishes to or completely unsubstantiated assertions.

the vast majority of the complains of the above 'review' (really not a review more like superficial impressions) are either options that he can ignore if he wishes to or completely unsubstantiated assertions.

Summary of the article

- It's not an 'M'

- The lens is too sharp

- It steals your soul

Anyone managed to get their hands on one yet? I'm very tempted to trade in my RX1 just for the AF speed and built-in EVF since the RX2 seems to be a dream rather than a reality.

Been checking out some web thoughts. Gotta say I'd deffo have if I had the wedge.

Well I bit the bullet and ordered one, just need to wait for it to arrive now (apparently only 2 have been shipped to New Zealand so far!). Will post back here once it arrives :)

There's a nice little write up on Steve Huff's site...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2015/...ummilux-f1-4-lens-review-by-kristian-dowling/

Made me wonder if his model, lovely though she is, is asleep... in every picture she has her eyes closed. Oh well...

I'm done with RF's (actually I don't know, is this a RF?) and 28mm has never been a favourite focal length of mine but I can see the appeal and I'm sure that this camera will have fans and buyers.

Last edited:
Back