Leica Q

Edit My Images
No
I've been wanting to try a digital Leica for a long time and recently had a play with a Leica Q. I think I'm sold, but it's a lot of money compared to similar spec offerings from other manufacturers. Any owners here that use a Leica Q as their only camera? Any user experiences/feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey,

I used the Leica Q as my only camera for a while, and I do love this camera

I wrote a blog starting when I first got it.
https://leicaqstreet.wordpress.com/

It was my perfect street camera, one of the things that sold it to me was having the zone focus gauge - but quickly found the AF so fast at 1.7 - I was hooked on that instead.

Image quality and ISO is great, I've used it for travel, live music, street - even at weddings for a long while.

Leaf shutter is quiet, can do creative outdoor flash photography against the sun.

It's probably one of my longest lasting cameras and I only sold it to fund a hasselblad X1D, as my new 'go to' camera. Here I am wondering if I could buy another Leica Q and pair it to my X1D ... ignore..

I used it as my only camera in new york, and I've even used this camera for straight up portraits as you can see from the comic con collection in the blog.

There is nothing quite like the Q.

Last edited:
few examples, holy crap i miss this camera :D or maybe it's the memories i create with it..

22374107984_622be28638_b.jpg

23101663505_6fce731e82_b.jpg

22678804521_41a11607ea_b.jpg

21823201002_33d1c06413_b.jpg

21675510955_2c504f5616_b.jpg

21488634669_dcd513c592_b.jpg

21350195106_385ac0e957_b.jpg

21024699439_017bf01a68_b.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty much agree with what Dan said.

I used mine for Street and Travel.

Only got rid of it because I missed film and have gone back to medium format.

Fab camera.

Plenty of examples on my website. Link is in my signature.

Ta,
Shane

Here I am wondering if I could buy another Leica Q and pair it to my X1D ... ignore..
:)

Any owners here that use a Leica Q as their only camera? Any user experiences/feedback would be appreciated.

My comment to the OP would be, if you have a camera now, stick an equivalent prime on it and lock away all your other lenses to see if you can live with the single focal length. If you can't the Q or similar is not for you. I know it sounds obvious - but do give it a go. I thought I could, but, it didn't work out for me.

Last edited:
That's a great selection of images Dan, but let's not kid ourselves that the camera had much to do with it. You don't buy a Leica to take great pictures, any more than you buy a Rolex to tell the time. The Leica thread is testament to that, which includes a large selection of reassuringly rubbish photos (and a few good ones ;)) https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/official-talk-leica-thread.429606/

You're a talented photographer, with an eye for an interesting subject and, in particular, great light (y) (often flash). The weakest one of the set is let down by the light (and a fake Rolex :D).

That's a great selection of images Dan, but let's not kid ourselves that the camera had much to do with it. You don't buy a Leica to take great pictures, any more than you buy a Rolex to tell the time. The Leica thread is testament to that, which includes a large selection of reassuringly rubbish photos (and a few good ones ;)) https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/official-talk-leica-thread.429606/

You're a talented photographer, with an eye for an interesting subject and, in particular, great light (y) (often flash). The weakest one of the set is let down by the light (and a fake Rolex :D).

The one with the girls? I put that in but did not explain my thought process when doing so..

That one was more about how the camera makes you and others around you feel, it feels more intimate because it's no obtrusive - but at the same time it has a full frame sensor and heaps of IQ and AF capability.

Besides, if it's only me, that I feel better about using the Leica, then even if I've only fooled myself and it's my gained confidence that sets others at ease.

It's is a lovely camera to own and use :D

:)

My comment to the OP would be, if you have a camera now, stick an equivalent prime on it and lock away all your other lenses to see if you can live with the single focal length. If you can't the Q or similar is not for you. I know it sounds obvious - but do give it a go. I thought I could, but, it didn't work out for me.

I sold my DSLR gear some time back. Been using an iPhone X as my only camera and although it's good (and convenient), it's no replacement for a "proper" camera. I don't want a large DSLR with multiple lenses again, a fixed lens compact-ish will do me.

I had one for a few months, couldn’t really fault it, but didn’t get enough use to justify keeping such an expensive camera for occasional use. Also I did probably feel too cautious using it out and about, have since replaced with a GX8 and 15mm 1.7 which isn’t a million miles away in terms of usability/enjoyment but a heck of a lot less pricy.

The one with the girls? I put that in but did not explain my thought process when doing so..

That one was more about how the camera makes you and others around you feel, it feels more intimate because it's no obtrusive - but at the same time it has a full frame sensor and heaps of IQ and AF capability.

Besides, if it's only me, that I feel better about using the Leica, then even if I've only fooled myself and it's my gained confidence that sets others at ease.

It's is a lovely camera to own and use :D

TBH, that's a valid point. The way something makes you feel - be it a car or a camera or a posh watch - can have a big impact. It may be a trick of the mind but if it works, then fair do's :)

Last edited:
There is something about a Leica I cant put my finger on, they are a joy to use! I have only shot film, M2 and M6. For me though it was money, I could not justify having a £1,400 camera and lens (M6) for the odd time I wanted film, same as why I had sold both my previous M2. If you have the £2,800 or so to spend on one and wont miss the money or think its poor value get one. If not look at an alternative. I have not used the Q but do use an X100F which I guess is similar in some respects. I too have taken it on holiday and not missed (90% of the time) being able to change lenses or zoom, but I do like primes.

I like the Rolex analogy but I also think some of the opposite is true. I use a not so good camera, I blame the camera. I have a good camera, get a bad pic, I know it cant be the camera so it must be me and that's what help drives improvement.

Maybe get an X100T, probably around £450 used and if you sell in two moths will not lose much. Try that and if you like that then I am sure you will love the Leica.

Back