Lencarta vs. Interfit

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I've narrowed my starter kit lighting solution to a couple brands, could you guys help me make a decision? Budget is £300 max. Initially it will be used for product photography, but I might use it for larger objects in time.

I have looked at the Interfit 150 MKIII and 200.
Alternatively I looked at Lencarta Smartflash 200, but I'm not sure what combination to use?

Two umbrellas?
One umbrella and a softbox or two softboxes?

Does anyone have any opinions on the above?

Thanks in advance

David

I'm looking to get a couple of Smartflash 200 and will be using a softbox as my main and a umbrella for fill.....

If you look through loads of questions on this, you will find that Lencarta are the best bet for quality at an affordable price. Ideally go for the umbrella and softbox as you will have a wider variety of lighting. Also, an umbrella that offers shoot through as well as reflective (take off the black cover) will give a further option. Lencarta all the way.

Someone is selling a Lencarta 3x200Ws lighting kit in the classifieds right now, including stands, a brollies & soft boxes, for £360.

I'd bite their arm off if I were you.

Silly question, with the Lencarta, can I use it as continuous lighting as well as flash?
Sort of, but...
The modelling lamp is only 150W, that's fine as a modelling lamp but pretty low powered as a light source
And the colour temperature will be around 2700 - 2900K, which can be corrected but which isn't ideal

I had the same conversation with Michael Sewell http://www.sewellshouse.co.uk/from Burnley....he showed me the difference between the continous lighting (not sure if it was the model you are talking about) and flash for product photography......we took phtos of the same subject with the different types of lighting...basically...I went in thinking continuos was what I needed and came out knowing I would need flash.
In simple terms the difference that I was shown was the distance the lights could be away from the subject and the power of the lights was far greater.....gave a far better finished image.

Last edited:
I have read somewhere that by using flash you do remove the dullness of products like some we see on ebay, but don't quote me on that. I'm just learning.

I think the lencarta will do what I want plus some, but when you start it's all a bit overwhelming,

In newbie terms, how would that affect product photography?
Product photography...
Not a massive problem, but it would be a massive problem if you wanted to photograph a live subject, because the exposures would need to be very long.
I had the same conversation with Michael Sewell http://www.sewellshouse.co.uk/from Burnley....he showed me the difference between the continous lighting (not sure if it was the model you are talking about) and flash for product photography......we took phtos of the same subject with the different types of lighting...basically...I went in thinking continuos was what I needed and came out knowing I would need flash.
In simple terms the difference that I was shown was the distance the lights could be away from the subject and the power of the lights was far greater.....gave a far better finished image.
The problem really isn't about power, with a subject that doesn't move. All that you need to do is to stick the camera on a REALLY solid tripod and, if the exposure takes several seconds, so what? Assuming of course that nobody is moving around, slamming doors or similar, all of which will cause camera shake. It's about controlling the light.
The problem with most continuous lighting is twofold:
1. You can't fit different light shaping tools, to produce different lighting effects - you can if you use the modelling lamp of a studio flash head, because you can simply fit any of the light shaping tools that you would use with flash.
2. You can't control the power output, either you can't adjust it enough, or you can't adjust it at all. On some studio flash heads you can adjust it when using the flash, but doing so dramatically changes the colour temperature, so although that doesn't matter with flash, it's a total no-no when using the modelling lamp as the light source. On the SmartFlash, you can't adjust the power of the modelling lamp anyway.

What does that mean in practical terms?
It means that the only way of changing the relative brightness is by changing the type of light shaper fitted to the head, or by changing the distance between the head and the subject. Changing either of those also changes the quality of the light, so isn't an option - unless all that you're trying to do is to produce low quality illustrative shots.

To make some sense of the power side of it, the Lencarta SmartFlash has an output of 200 Watt seconds. What this means is that it puts out the same amount of light during its very brief flash as a continuous light of 200 Watts would produce in one second. Except that about 2/3rds of the energy is output in heat, rather than light, so a 150 watt modelling lamp would need a 3 second exposure (ish) at f/11 if the flash required f/11 at full power

Does that make the Interfit a better choice for product photography? As far as I'm aware they are continuous sources of light.

Both Interfit and Lencarta sell continuous lights, but the thread is about interfit vs Lencarta flash.

However - flash is always better than continuous lighting in a studio environment. For all the reasons above.

One key thing that I just thought of, some of the products that I aim to photograph have glass and will reflect. Would that make a difference whether to get a flash kit or a set of continuous lights?

No.

Back