Suspended / Banned
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
Hi

Just seeing how and what you all use to clean your glass

Thanks

In the field, all I ever use is a Lens Pen and micro fibre cloth. At home, if I have a particularly claggy bit of muck, then I use Eclipse fluid.

Rocket blower followed by Eclipse Lens Cleaning Fluid on a Pec Pad.

I start from the middle and work in a circular motion to the outer edges. Relatively light pressure applied.

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

Last edited:
What do people recommend the best to use? I see amazon have got a sale on the cleaning pens etc,are these any good?

Thanks

I got a sigma lens cloth I cut into bits about credit card size bit bigger maybe, as its huge, easier to use small, and if you think ones got grit stuck in it you can chuck it.

but I use rocket blower > maybe brush depending on what's on there> then cloth with fluid then another cloth or different bit to dry, the stuff I got will leave marks if I just leave it :-(

think the pens are for oily marks, the brushes are good tho.

I have some lens wipes in my bag, ones that are wet with fluid, and a normal cloth.

I really must clean my lenses more. I must admit to not doing it too often.

I do usually use the cloth you get. I find them quite good. I'd never use a liquid solution of any kind.

Blow off any dust/grit and use a lens pen or microfibre cloth, but there's nothing wrong with using liquid solutions for stubborn marks. Isopropyl alcohol (Isopropanol) works as well as anything and is usually cheaper than proprietary products.

The main thing is, don't overdo it. Modern lens coatings are quite tough, but only clean the front element if it's necessary. It doesn't have to be spotless/sparkling.

Rocket blower for me too as I feel using a cloth or brush could actually move around any dust or grit on the glass and cause scratches, I only use a Micro fibre lens cloth at home after using the Blower

Les ;)

Blow off any dust etc off with a blower and then use an optical cleaning cloth - the ones you get for your glasses from an opticians.

brillo pad works for me :beer:

All my lenses are protected with filters. Aren't everyone's?

I clean my filters with Rocket Blower and Lenspen.....

.....and the lens too, if any dust gets through;)

Cotton t-shirt if out & about :)

Usually a rocket blower if I notice specks while at home/packing bag to go out & a quick wipe over with a soft microfibre/glasses cloth if needed. I very rarely use any cleaning solution on them or get any marks to warrant that cleaning. If I do I treat the lens the same as cleaning my expensive galsses :)

my wife cleans our expensive glasses ,dishwasher usually they come out ""GLEAMING"" far better than fairy liquid :ROFLMAO::angelic:

All my lenses are protected with filters. Aren't everyone's?

Not mine they can effect Image quality - why spend £4,000 on a fast 500mm lens only to stick a £20 UV filter on the front,makes no sense to me ( other opinions may vary) :p

Les :D

Not mine they can effect Image quality - why spend £4,000 on a fast 500mm lens only to stick a £20 UV filter on the front,makes no sense to me ( other opinions may vary) :p

Les :D
I neither have a £4000 lens or a £20 UV filter, but in any case I was only asking?

Wire brushing the casing, and a grit blaster for the elements. Does a lovely job of giving a real blurred effect to all your images!

Just thought I'd add that was a joke by the way, incase anyone actually tries it and then sues me for mis-information

It's normally on my camera, or I have a big black cover over it.
But inbetween them times... i.e. when your changing lenses..... its uncovered ....ahhh haaaaaaa :)

My sleeve.

I bought a carl zeis lens cleaning kit and combined it with a blower and some lens tissue I owned.

I use the blower to clear out the dust, the brush for any lint that is being particularly stubborn.

A spritz of lens cleaner on some lens tissue and use a light finger to clean the spots off. Followed by a dry tissue to absorb any excess cleaner then a polish with a microfiber.

Hi

Just seeing how and what you all use to clean your glass

Thanks

After ensuring there's no grit or anything nasty on it by using a rocket blower... I just use any soft, clean cloth available. Been doing that for 30 years and never had a problem. Lenses are nowhere near as fragile as most people think they are.

Back