Lens Cover

Name
gary ogden
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Pixpro AZ252 camera I have hardly used and the lens cover is not a tight fit and keeps falling off (it is attached with a cord), how can I stop it falling off please?

Hi and welcome to TP

Here I am surmising when you say falling off, you mean with the camera turned off it will not stay in place.

If it is a push fit type then likely has worn a tad enough such that it no longer grips.

If a pinch fit i.e. it has spring loaded 'latches' that engage into the lens front....then possibly broken (?)

Hi, no its almost brand new 20200603_112750.jpg

Attachments

• 20200603_112828.jpg
    20200603_112828.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200603_112851.jpg
    20200603_112851.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 20
It looks like a push fit.......so under what conditions is "falling off"?

Well how can I put this... I put the lens cap on and when I move around a little it falls off.

Third party replacement caps are sold on ebay, but they seem to be from US sellers with expensive postage. If you can measure the diameter of the lens with calipers or something, you can probably find a generic push-on cap to fit, though it probably won't have the eyelet for the cord that connects it to the strap.

A simple fix is to get a strip of self adhesive Velcro loop material with a length equal to the inside diameter of the cap (make sure it is loop material, the hook material might scratch your lens). If the loop material doesn't extend to the edge of the strip, cut off the edge so it does, Then cut a off a strip to the width of the cap's lip and stick that strip around the inside of the cap's lip.

The cap should now stay on.

Last edited:
A little bit of electricians' insulating tape stuck so it covers a bit of the lip should tighten the fit up enough for it to stop dropping off.

AFAIK the reason they use push fit caps is so that when the camera is turned on the lens 'drives' out and will push the cap off if not done so first by the user. I surmise this is also a primary reason they included a tether in the design ;)

If it was a clip in cap like my other half's Panasonic it gives an error message and shuts down.

Therefore in the case of the Kodak IMO any tweaks need to ones that do not make the cap too resistant to it being easily removed! Or even a third party one with a deeper lip might also be an issue for the same reason?

Last edited:
I find the lens cap falls off with my Canon 5D4 and 24-105mm f4. In fact I lost it and bought a new Canon lens cap (quite expensive) and I am at risk of losing this. It is very hard to ensure that it is clipped in place.

Dave

At least one user review from last year criticised the "poor design" of lens cap in regard to falling off!

I find the lens cap falls off with my Canon 5D4 and 24-105mm f4. In fact I lost it and bought a new Canon lens cap (quite expensive) and I am at risk of losing this. It is very hard to ensure that it is clipped in place.
Have you tried a generic cap that clips into the filter thread?

Dave
Have you tried a generic cap that clips into the filter thread?

All my Canon lenses had the clip in caps that gripped the filter thread so none too sure why @Dave Canon finds his falls that easily. NB my 24-105mm is the mk1 version

I think if you use a filter on the front sometimes the lens cap doesn't have the same depth to get a good purchase on the lens.... just guessing.

Ah! a good point that I missed, probably because I have always bought deep bezel filters and never the ultra-slim versions ;)

As I do not use any filters that is not the problem. I do have the Mkii version of the lens and did not have this problem with the Mki. If I get it just right it will stay on but it is difficult to tell when it is right.

Dave

Back