Lens for landscapes. what's best 4 a canon 450d

Name
Frank
Edit My Images
No
lens for landscapes. what's best 4 a canon 450d

I have asked so many counter staff this question, Now I am totally confused.
So I turn to the forum for help in my choice.
I would like to say money is no object, so lets think sensible.

I am off to the lakes after Easter, then away to Oban in the summer, so I need to get my head around this to get use to the lens for summertime.

I was thinking of hiring a lens, anyone done this route?

Feel free to fire away
Cheers

I use the Sigma 10-20mm on my 450D. I love it. Only problem with ultra-wide is you get problems using polarising filters (patchy tones of blue).
I also recently picked up a Tamron 17-50mm. Very sharp lens and ok for landscapes or as a walkabout.

I use the Sigma 10-20mm on my 450D. I love it. Only problem with ultra-wide is you get problems using polarising filters (patchy tones of blue).
I also recently picked up a Tamron 17-50mm. Very sharp lens and ok for landscapes or as a walkabout.

Cheers Mangelwurel
I tend to shot only in RAW so filtering can be done with software
Thanks for the info I got a 70-300 tam and canon kit lens at the moment
Just trying to get it right with lens choice
Good luck to you
Quedash

i have used both the sigma 10-20 & the EF-S 10-22.
i shoot for fun so both are just as good.

Both great lenses, and agree re filters. Can easily be fixed in post-processing software though, so don't let it worry you or put you off.

I use Canon's 10-22mm and 17-40mm on my 450D for landscapes. Both see equal use.

Not sure you can replicate the effects of a polariser in PP though....

I use Canon's 10-22mm and 17-40mm on my 450D for landscapes. Both see equal use.

Not sure you can replicate the effects of a polariser in PP though....

No you can't. IIRC, a polariser is the ONLY filter that software cannot replicate.

I personally have a 10-22 and a 24-70f2.8, depending on what i want to shoot.

Lots of people seem to like ultra-wide lenses like the Sigma 10-20mm or the Canon 10-22mm for landscapes. Personally I think they're too wide. You have this huge expanse of foreground which you have to fill with something - anything! - and it's all too easy for it to end up as a shot of a not-very-interesting rock with some mountains in the distance.

Personally I'd say the 18-55mm kit lens is fine for landscapes. It has the right focal length range, and it's sharp enough when it's stopped down to f/8. There are plenty of more expensive lenses with the same sort of focal length range - the 17-40mm f/4 L and the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS are two which spring to mind - and obviously I'm not going to complain if you're thinking about hiring one of them! They will deliver better results. But sufficiently good to justify the cost? We can't answer that one for you.

I have seen some great pics with the UWA 10-20mm. I personally use the 17-55 EF-S. An awesome lens and also great as a walkabout. Can't show you any fab landscape photos with it, the photographer is no where near the quality of the lens:D

Thanks peeps for the info
I have decided to hire a couple of lenses the week after Easter when i go the lakes for a week,then can get abetter Idea before I commit to buy
So if anyone has good knowlwdge of troutbreck area let me know.

StewartR How long for delivery for your hire, i will need to get delivery before easter

Cheers

I agree with Stewart re the UWA`s......(y)

Hence I sold my 10-20.

tokina 11-16mm 2.8 (y)

Tokina 12-24

Back