Beginner Lens for portriature and depth of field

I agree with this. I have had a 35mm and 50mm with my D80 for a few years and I have used the 35mm alot more than the 50mm. It's a great lens and is probably on my camera 90% of the time. However, I have just picked up a second hand 85mm and have been very pleased with it, for portraits outside (where I can get the distance from the kids) it has been fantastic. I would recommend either of them (and in my view, ideally both of them), I got the 35mm first because it was in my budget and then saved up for the 85mm and have been very happy with that decision but alot depends on how long it would take you to save up the extra.

There is a 35mm for sale in the classified section on here (at least it still looks like it's available - Nikon Fit lenses - Sigma 10-20mm, Nikkor 35mm, Nikkor 50mm

Currently offered at £95 inc delivery, I have seen a few used 85mm on here as well over the last couple of months, so worth keeping an eye out if you decide to go that route.

Oh cool thanks, I didn't know there was a classified sections. I always seem to turn to eBay for anything second hand...I've got loads on sale on eBay at the moment so if I do some good selling I will hopefully get the 85mm one thanks guys :) ps I've started an online course last week for photography and it's making things become so much clearer [emoji106]

I'm not allowed to access the classifieds bit yet, I have to wait until I've been a member 60 days...

Whilst the 50mm is cheaper and slightly more versatile (on FF), it's no match for the 85mm as a portrait lens. Everyone should have a fast standard lens (35mm for your camera), the 50mm is IMHO a crap focal length on crop cameras, andall Canon owners should buy the nifty fifty. But IMHO the price of the Nikon equivalent means you have to consider the purchase and I wouldn't bother.

The 85mm is a bargain even if it was ten times the price of the 50

I agree about 50mm being a crap focal length for crop sensor cameras. It falls between the two excellent stools of 35mm and 85mm.

My first prime lens for my crop sensor camera was a 50mm f/1.4. I used it a lot for about a year, and was very pleased with it. I did find it rather annoyingly long for a general purpose walk around prime lens for street and social snapshottery in bars etc.. So I added a cheap (but excellent) f/1.8 35mm DX lens, which proved so generally useful and surprisingly good that I ended up only using the 50mm for studiously posed portraits and product shots. Then I got an 85mm f/1.4, since when I don't think I've ever used the 50mm. I'm sentimentally reluctant to sell it because it's still a very good lens and was once my favourite.

Don't think anyone could argue with the fact the 85mm is a great lens for portraits,I have one myself and would definitely recommend over the 50mm if thats the main use.

if i was wanting to use it for more general use as well the 50mm would be more use.

If you can afford it get the 85mm for the portraits and the 35mm for general walkabout shots.

I think every Nikon DX owner should have a 35mm f1.8 ... cheap at £130ish, so versatile [and I simply crop-to-zoom if need], great shallow DOF/Bokeh. Mine spends more time on my camera than any of my other 3 or 4 lenses. Having said that, it's the only prime I own.

Ok so I am ridiculously inpatient I have just bought a 35mm 1.8 prime lens, thanks for all your help and fingers crossed santa may bring me the 85mm one :banana:

Ok I have received my lens and I am in love [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]. I've spent 10 mins taking pictures tonight but tomorrow we're off camping and I can't wait [emoji328][emoji328][emoji328][emoji328][emoji328][emoji328] Eeek [emoji3]

I have the f1.8g lens and it's so exciting and makes portraits look awesome! I'd recommend that!

Back