Beginner Lens for portriature and depth of field

Name
Laura
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys so I bought a second hand lens on ebay a couple of weeks back, which I think I have been scammed with as it hasn't arrived and ive had no response, but it maybe a blessing as I didn't really know what I was buying. It was a 50mm f/1.8 AF lens. Thinking about it I want to probably invest in just one lens for now that will work on what ideally I would want to work on, family portraiture. I love natural light images with the golden hour and depth of field, any suggestions of what would be a great lens to buy that's £150 or under but is a good quality. If I need to spend more I can just save for longer, I would rather wait and get a good one than buy one for the sake of it (which I did already).

Thanks
Laura xx

On the D3300 you need to make sure the lens has AFS in the title or it won't autofocus on your camera, probably the one you bought (or didn't) wasn't AFS.

Nikon do a range of AFS f/1.8 primes, you just need to chose your focal length which in your budget would be the 35 or 50mm.

An alternative might be a Tamron 18-50 f/2.8.

The AF lenses won't autofocus on the 3ooo series cameras.what will work is the very nice Nikon 50mm 1.8 DX G for £136 new say from john lewis with 2 years guarantee
On your DX body will give a nice portrait length equiv to 75mm.
it is a very nice lens,i have it on my d3300,by the way the sensor on that camera is exceptionally good.
Must have cross posted.ned wasn't there when i was typing :)
Ned beat me to it lol but just as he says :)

Last edited:
Oh really? Why's that? I'd definitely spend more because I see it as false economy getting one just because x

Hi Laura,

I'm don't know anything about Nik lenses so can only comment of the length. You mention you want it for family portraits etc so I'm guessing you'll be in the house. Personally I felt the 85 (50 x 1.6 crop factor) was a little long in the house, I just found it to hard work with the kids.

Have you set you kit lens to 50 and tried it, does it feel ok but you just want more DOF to play with? Don't get me wrong I like the 50!

Eek I'm not sure. It's outdoors I want to take pictures of with folks in it. I'm just learning about lenses so I need to research the difference in lengths to be honest. Who knew there was so much to learn!!

I know it's more money, but an 85mm 1.8 second hand would be my pick every time.

This :agree:

My fav lens at the mo is my 85 f1.8 and working outside you don't have the space confines to worry about, you just stand a bit further away :)

Its a very flattering focal length and throws backgrounds nicely OoF

Dave

This :agree:

My fav lens at the mo is my 85 f1.8 and working outside you don't have the space confines to worry about, you just stand a bit further away :)

Its a very flattering focal length and throws backgrounds nicely OoF

Dave
Where would the 35mm one come in handy then?

Where would the 35mm one come in handy then?

Dave's simple guide to portrait lenses :D

Headshots (head & shoulders or even tighter on the head)

The closer you get to a head the more likely you will distort someone's face as the nose becomes larger relative to ears simply because its closer to you. To keep things in better perspective its best to shoot from further away, hence a longer focal length. Traditionally the 85mm was THE go-to focal length for this, but it has other benefits too in that the DoF can be shallow, meaning its easier to place focus on the eyes and also to lose any annoying background

Waist and up

Here you're shooting wider and hence the distortion issue isn't as bad, you can comfortably get away with shooting a 50mm for this

Full length & small groups

Again the distortion issue is becoming less & less important, so now (and for family groups too) a 35mm would be fine

Overall though

You are using a DX body which inherently gives a greater DoF at any aperture than FX does, so f4 on an FX body is more like F2.8 on your camera. Shooting family groups with a 35mm even at f1.8 will mean you have a surprising amount of any background still in focus enough to be a distraction. Its use is that you are close and hence can chat without raising your voice, but the lack of ability to throw the background well OoF goes against it for me

If I was buying just one lens it'd be the 85mm - great for headshots, fine for waist & up (you're just further away than the 50mm) and FAB for family groups as you will be able to throw the background nicely OoF compared to the 35mm, but now you'll be quite some distance away - which can also be good as they'll feel less awkward as there's no obvious camera in their faces

For what you're wanting to do I might in time add the 35mm to the 85mm to give a fuller range of options (you don't always want to throw backgrounds OoF), but first off it'd be the 85 all the way :)

HTH

Dave

I started with a D3100 and did the same tried my kit lens and I was nearly always at 50mm. I know you want it for outdoors but I tried a85mm and it was to long for indoor shots (where I did most of my practising) and I've got fairly large sitting room. So my choice was the 50mm 1.8

I think getting a 50mm that will work with your camera auto focus would be a good start. You will be able to decide to which lens you want to go with next.. some photographers prefer longer lens for a more isolated feel to their images and others like me like more of a environmental feel including the surroundings into their images and i tend to shoot slightly wider than 50mm.

neither are wrong just a preference to the photographer. You will in time find your style and adjust your lenses to suit.

As Lee says above, really, and I think you'd be ok with a 50mm AFS Nikkor if not a 35mm similar since you have a 'crop' sensor. It is personal in the end.

I don't know ANY Pro who would shoot a portrait with a 35mm lens other than as a joke :D

Ok, maybe some funky/fashion/band shots you would but not a more traditional portrait

I know a few very successful family portrait togs (all women btw) who shoot all day on their 70-200 f2.8 lenses, nice, but so far off the OP's budget at the mo its not worth more than a mention. I actually sold my 70-200 for the 85mm

Dave

I think given a limited budget the 50mm 1.8g actually makes a lot of sense here. It's a great lens and will serve well as a portrait lens on a crop camera. It won't throw backgrounds out quite like an 85mm 1.8 would but it'll still do a very nice job of it whilst maybe being a little more versatile for other stuff too. There is always something better for more money but at £100 - £130, the 50mm makes a whole load of sense.

But just to play devils advocate a little, I know everyone loves a new toy but there is a lot you can do with a kit lens at the long end. How much have you played around with that sort of length before you take the plunge?

Ive played a bit but perhaps not enough I don't know, this is my flickr account it may tell how well ive played...

Ive played a bit but perhaps not enough I don't know, this is my flickr account it may tell how well ive played...

Just having a quick look through your Flickr, and the majority of shots are taken at or around the long end of your lens at 55mm, if you are happy with this focal length then i guess the 50mm f1.8 makes the most sense for you, if however you would rather have a longer lens, then maybe consider an 85mm

The way i usually pick new lenses is to see what i shoot at most and then buy an upgrade lens that covers the range i shoot at most, or on the flip side, when i find i need a different focal length to what my current lens selection covers, i look into what lens i could buy that covers what focal length i need

thank you, sorry for being so annoying. hopefully in a years time these types of questions will be far back in the past. Theres been a few occasions where I wish I had a longer focal length but in the majority I have been quite happy. I tend to stalk my kids at around 35-50 mm length. I would love to one day be a photographer but perhaps it is a case of I do just need more than one lens. Perhaps I can get the 50mm and save for the 85 and by the time I have the 85 I will be more ready for it. I'm looking to create more bokeh effect in my photos. At this amateur stage the practice lens is probably more ideal. Thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time to comment. Genuinely it means a lot that you are helping me on my way :) x

I like creative restraints too - I use them all the time teaching

As it looks like you've decided on a 50mm, here's what sort of things I got up to with my 50mm while getting drunk with a mate in Sheffield on afternoon a while back :D Scroll through the lot to see a wide range of images including people

http://www.davidgoodierphotography.co.uk/sheffield-at-50mm-f1-4/

Everything was shot at f1.4 here, but f1.8 wouldn't be a lot different - have fun :)

Dave

As it looks like you've decided on a 50mm, here's what sort of things I got up to with my 50mm while getting drunk with a mate in Sheffield on afternoon a while back :D Scroll through the lot to see a wide range of images including people

Everything was shot at f1.4 here, but f1.8 wouldn't be a lot different - have fun :)

Dave

LOL, I love that you took these drunk they are fantastic. I absolutely have absorbed your advice Dave. I will definitely be saving for the one you recommended and I cant thank you enough for your help!

Dave

Dave I have just looked at your website, I have fallen in love with your images!! Woweee :woot:

As an alternative why not consider the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens. As it's Full Frame lens it wil give you FOV of 42mm > 112mm on your crop body. I loved this lens on my D7000 which was also a crop body and it's a reasonable fast lens @ f2.8. These lenses are highly rated for there price point and some will say the older version with no AF motor in lens was better. Myself I couldn't fault mine.

As your usually at the end of your 55mm range for your shooting this lens will give you a lot of flexability. I have linked the lens below for a new one, but you can usually pick one up secondhand for under £200. If you go secondhand make sure it's the one with the built in motor (BIM).

Linky > http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-tamron-28-75mm-f2-8-sp-af-di-lens-nikon-fit/p1519405

Also, a link to Flickriver for some shots with the Tamron 28-75mm, you can Google for others if desired. > http://www.flickriver.com/search/tamron+28-75/

Last edited:
So been playing around tonight to create depth of field and found I was working at 55mm and if I'm honest I'd have probably gone bigger. I'm watching a few second hand ones on eBay now. At 55 on my lens it gave me an aperture of 5.6. I'm excited to have a really low arperture to make pretty bokeh:)

85mm is pretty sweet on crop.

Lily in the sun
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Lily

A Colourful Lily

Lily in the sun

Lily in the sun - Explored! - Thankyou.

Although 35mm was nice too...

Matlock Bath

As was the Nikon 17-55... :LOL:

Lily

Anyway, if i were you then i'd opt for the 85. It produces superb shallow depth of field with nice bokeh and is worth saving the extra for.

HTH's.

David.

I'm in love [emoji7]. My kit lens is 25-55 so actually 85 would add more of a range to what I have. I'll save for one and then later on add 50 or 35 to my collection. Thank you [emoji108]

Whilst the 50mm is cheaper and slightly more versatile (on FF), it's no match for the 85mm as a portrait lens. Everyone should have a fast standard lens (35mm for your camera), the 50mm is IMHO a crap focal length on crop cameras, andall Canon owners should buy the nifty fifty. But IMHO the price of the Nikon equivalent means you have to consider the purchase and I wouldn't bother.

The 85mm is a bargain even if it was ten times the price of the 50

Yep, i had the 35 to give a similar FOV as the 50mm would on a FF camera. Loved it. Was great for a lightweight walk around lens. I've tried 50 on a crop sensor and it was a bit boring tbh.

The 17-55 although heavy was brilliant.

Slightly off-topic ... what's the Nikon 85mm 1.8G like for the odd bit of macro. The fast AF big aperture should be pretty good for capturing something like a hover fly in action ....??

The MFD isn't great but a set of macro tubes will help with that. Not sure the 'big aperture' would be of any use to you though tbh.

Thanks for that, yes I see now the MFD is not good. I really like the look of the 85 mm 1.8G, but should forget about it doubling as a lens for macro of any sort.

Whilst the 50mm is cheaper and slightly more versatile (on FF), it's no match for the 85mm as a portrait lens. Everyone should have a fast standard lens (35mm for your camera), the 50mm is IMHO a crap focal length on crop cameras, andall Canon owners should buy the nifty fifty. But IMHO the price of the Nikon equivalent means you have to consider the purchase and I wouldn't bother.

The 85mm is a bargain even if it was ten times the price of the 50

I agree with this. I have had a 35mm and 50mm with my D80 for a few years and I have used the 35mm alot more than the 50mm. It's a great lens and is probably on my camera 90% of the time. However, I have just picked up a second hand 85mm and have been very pleased with it, for portraits outside (where I can get the distance from the kids) it has been fantastic. I would recommend either of them (and in my view, ideally both of them), I got the 35mm first because it was in my budget and then saved up for the 85mm and have been very happy with that decision but alot depends on how long it would take you to save up the extra.

There is a 35mm for sale in the classified section on here (at least it still looks like it's available - Nikon Fit lenses - Sigma 10-20mm, Nikkor 35mm, Nikkor 50mm

Currently offered at £95 inc delivery, I have seen a few used 85mm on here as well over the last couple of months, so worth keeping an eye out if you decide to go that route.

Back