Lens for winter afternoon

Edit My Images
Yes
Am using a D2h and a d40 to take pictures for my local footy teams programme. On afternoons like today when there is no sunshine and lighting levels are low its a bit of a nightmare. Any suggestions as to lenses I could use for either camera to allow me to take photos through the game which can be used as an A5 front cover - can afford anything too expensive so need to be practical (second hand is fine). (Am currently using nikkor4.5-5.6 g 70-300 but it does seem to struggle in low light.)

Thanks for all the cooment on the website - am learning!!

Well yesterday afternoon, I was using a D300s with a 70-200 f/2.8 and towards the end of the match I was shooting 6400 @ 250. So even under floodlights with a f/2.8 we were struggling, admittedly they are not world class lights but they are RFU approved.

No cheap answer! You need 2.8 lenses and bodies that can handle high ISO rreally well.

As has been said, there are no truly cheap ways to accomplish your goal I'm afraid, for which you need an f2.8 lens and a high end body.:crying:

Yep, cost me approx £2000 for new camera and 2nd hand f/2.8, but after yesterday's game worth every penny and bought after all the advice from the guys on here, glad I listened to them....even if I am skint now :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate all the responses but financially not really realistic to upgrade to the levels necessary - after all this is a hobby for me- will just have to take pictures early in the game and see if I can use them

I appreciate all the responses but financially not really realistic to upgrade to the levels necessary - after all this is a hobby for me- will just have to take pictures early in the game and see if I can use them

I am only a hobby toggy and take photo's for my local rugby team.

your really going to struggle with the d2h without a 2.8 lens. its very grainy past 1250
to get the pics you want/need your going to have to spend some cash

What do you do with the pics AFC? See them to the players?

They go on the club website and the media/press officer sometimes sends them off to the local papers with his match report, so far this season I have had 6 photo's in the locals.

Also one of the players, his mum and dad come down from Gloucester each week to watch him play and I have given them a enlarged photo of him scoring a try and they are going to take another look on the website and let me know if there are any others they want.

Also one of the match referee's from a few weeks back wanted some of the photo's of him refereeing the match, so I sorted out some and sent him a CD with 14 photo's on them.

....its very grainy past 1250

After Saturdays game where I ended up shooting 6400 @250 I had to put the photo's through a noise reducing program, so you will also have to have a look at that side of it as well.

And I was using a f/2.8 lens.

Cheers mate - lots of food for thought - I downloaded a noise reduction program at the weekend - seemed to make things slightly better - Do you get paid for all your work?

Cheers mate - lots of food for thought - I downloaded a noise reduction program at the weekend - seemed to make things slightly better - Do you get paid for all your work?

I give the players mum and dad the photo's for free, as when I go to Gloucester I've been invited to stay at their house.

The ones for the papers I do get a fee for, but I would have to sell about 250,000 before I could retire on it....:LOL:

After Saturdays game where I ended up shooting 6400 @250 I had to put the photo's through a noise reducing program, so you will also have to have a look at that side of it as well.

And I was using a f/2.8 lens.

6400 on a d2h! the players would look like lego men :help:

Back