Lens Hire

Edit My Images
No
I'm just planning in advance for a trip next month or March and others trips where I may want to hire a couple of lenses.

Any recommendations?

When I needed a lens last year I tried LensesforHire but couldn't get hold of them via phone and didn't get a reply to my email.

Looking for a reliable company with a simple hire system so I know how much it costs, whats covered etc etc.

I found lenseforhire very good when I used them. I’ve not used any other companies so can’t help with other recommendations.

@StewartR is a member on here too. I sure he could look into the problems you had.

Thanks Rob, I'd seen the name mentioned which is why I tried there. I'll take another look.

Another option, buy a used one and sell it when you're finished!

It's not as daft as it sounds depending on the lens, owning a 400mm f2.8 for 2 years actually cost me nothing versus £240 weekly hire from WEX

Another option, buy a used one and sell it when you're finished!

It's not as daft as it sounds depending on the lens, owning a 400mm f2.8 for 2 years actually cost me nothing versus £240 weekly hire from WEX

Yeah I have done that in the past with a camera.. I've been looking at the 500mm f4 in the for sale section but I'm not sure how much I'd use it and sod law says the prices will drop a lot when I buy one.

Yeah I have done that in the past with a camera.. I've been looking at the 500mm f4 in the for sale section but I'm not sure how much I'd use it and sod law says the prices will drop a lot when I buy one.

Fortunately I got 'lucky', the price of the new version went up by £2k in that period and it kept the used prices up! The only problem can be that the more exotic it is, the longer it takes to sell.

Prices of 500 F4 II has gone up since according to Wex, but of course Pound devaluation and currency exchange may contribute to the rise.

When I needed a lens last year I tried LensesforHire but couldn't get hold of them via phone and didn't get a reply to my email
Gosh, sorry about that. What happened? We aim to reply to every email, and our phones work 09:00-17:30 Monday to Friday with voicemail for out of hours enquiries. If you can PM me your email address and phone number, I'll dig into the records and see if I can find out what happened.

Gosh, sorry about that. What happened? We aim to reply to every email, and our phones work 09:00-17:30 Monday to Friday with voicemail for out of hours enquiries. If you can PM me your email address and phone number, I'll dig into the records and see if I can find out what happened.

I hadn't replied to above but will later as I had planned to get all the info at the show.

However, yet again pretty disappointed by the the lack of information given and attitude of the person I spoke to.

I simply asked if I wanted a camera and lenses for use on a Friday, Saturday, Sunday and return on Monday how many days hire that would be. The answer I got was "it is up to you" confused I asked again and said I wanted a camera and a couple of lenses for USE all day Friday, Saturday, Sunday and return it on Monday so how many days hire is that.. again the answer I got was "it is up to you"... I asked if I wanted it all day Friday does it arrive the day before and if that is then charged for, I was told you take no responsibility for when the lens arrives and if I wanted it for a specific days then I should add a couple of extra days to the hire to make sure... and if it did arrive before the hire date I must not take it out of the box or use it.

Any other question I tried to ask got the reply 'it's on our website'.

Absolutely shocking attitude. Unfortunately I couldn't remember your name at the time, I mentioned the TalkPhotography forum but all I got was a shrug like I was being stupid.

Strange, LFH are literally the best company (in any industry) that I've dealt with, their customer service is incredible and I've always had very quick email responses.

What exactly is it you want to know? Everything is on the website, you can see the live availability of everything and once in your basket you can choose precisely when you receive the kit and when it will be collected. It's probably easier to see visually on the site than it is to explain it over the phone.

However, yet again pretty disappointed by the the lack of information given and attitude of the person I spoke to.
Sorry Jase, you seem to be extraordinarily unlucky in dealings with my business.

I've asked all my colleagues whether they remember this conversation, but we talked to literally hundreds of people over the weekend and I'm sure you'll appreciate that to a certain extent they all tend to blur together. For example I remember a bloke who was cycling from Lands End to John O Groats, and I remember a bloke who was asking about whether he could put his Tamron lens on a Canon RP, and I remember a bloke who wanted to get something delivered to his father in law in Kendal, but I honestly couldn't tell you now whether or not they were all the same person, and I couldn't pick him / them out of a line-up.

Anyway, one of my team does remember a visitor saying he'd talked to somebody on Talk Photography, who he thought might be called Peter or something like that. Perhaps that was you. But if it was you, then you didn't get my name right and you didn't say that "Peter" is the owner of the business, and the way you broached the subject didn't make it apparent that you'd talked to anyone from the company (as opposed, say, to some random stranger on Talk Photography). Sorry I can't be more definitive about the details, though.

I must admit that I'm baffled by the answer you say you were given. It's the easiest question in the world for my team. If you want to use a lens on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, then that's a 3-day hire. It really is utterly straightforward and if you had asked the question like that I honestly can't imagine why the answer would have been anything different.

Where it can get confusing though, is when people ask when the lens will be delivered. If your hire is Friday to Sunday, will the lens be delivered on Thursday? That's up to you. Our website will offer you delivery on Thursday, as a courtesy, or delivery on Friday if that's more convenient to you, and there's no price implication one way or the other, but you do need to choose the delivery day. And then when people ask will it definitely be delivered on Thursday, then it gets interesting. We use DPD for our deliveries and they're pretty good: we get about 98% delivered right time. But not 100%, even with the best will in the world. Sometimes the recipient is in the toilet and can't make it to the door in time, or on the phone and doesn't hear the doorbell, or things like that. So what we often recommend to customers is that if it's really really important that they have the lens on a certain day, they might want to consider building in an extra day or two at the start of the hire which doesn't cost much - to minimise the chances of disruption.

I hope you appreciate that this area can be complicated.

I'm afraid the bit about taking no responsibility for when the lens arrives doesn't sound quite right to me, and unfortunately none of my staff remember this particular aspect of the conversation. I think the answer you got here will have depended very strongly on how you asked the question. In a narrow, technical sense, once we've dispatched a lens it's out of our hands and we can't control when it's delivered. That doesn't mean we wash our hands of it, though. Some companies are happy to point the finger at their suppliers and subcontractors when something goes wrong, but we don't. After all, we choose our suppliers, and we accept responsibility for those choices. So if there is a problem with delivery, we will do our utmost to overcome it. We once put a camera on a bike to Durham (a 550 mile round trip), at a cost to us of around £300, to fulfil an order after DPD had had a problem. The week before last, one of my team met a customer at Gatwick Airport at utterly stupid o'clock in the morning to deliver an item after there had been a delivery problem. And a few weeks ago when the weather forecast said there would be disruptive snow, we pulled all our deliveries forward by a couple of days to get them into customers' hands before the bad weather struck. So we do our best, and at the end of the day, if a delivery goes wrong and we can't cook up a viable Plan B, then we offer customers a full refund at least. If you think that counts as not taking responsibility then I'm happy to agree to disagree.

Anyway I hope this addresses your questions and concerns. If you every feel like sending me (via PM) your phone number and email address, the offer is still there to look into what happened when you said you couldn't phone us and didn't get a reply to your email 2 months ago.

Sorry Jase, you seem to be extraordinarily unlucky in dealings with my business.

I've asked all my colleagues whether they remember this conversation, but we talked to literally hundreds of people over the weekend and I'm sure you'll appreciate that to a certain extent they all tend to blur together. For example I remember a bloke who was cycling from Lands End to John O Groats, and I remember a bloke who was asking about whether he could put his Tamron lens on a Canon RP, and I remember a bloke who wanted to get something delivered to his father in law in Kendal, but I honestly couldn't tell you now whether or not they were all the same person, and I couldn't pick him / them out of a line-up.

Anyway, one of my team does remember a visitor saying he'd talked to somebody on Talk Photography, who he thought might be called Peter or something like that. Perhaps that was you. But if it was you, then you didn't get my name right and you didn't say that "Peter" is the owner of the business, and the way you broached the subject didn't make it apparent that you'd talked to anyone from the company (as opposed, say, to some random stranger on Talk Photography). Sorry I can't be more definitive about the details, though.

I must admit that I'm baffled by the answer you say you were given. It's the easiest question in the world for my team. If you want to use a lens on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, then that's a 3-day hire. It really is utterly straightforward and if you had asked the question like that I honestly can't imagine why the answer would have been anything different.

Where it can get confusing though, is when people ask when the lens will be delivered. If your hire is Friday to Sunday, will the lens be delivered on Thursday? That's up to you. Our website will offer you delivery on Thursday, as a courtesy, or delivery on Friday if that's more convenient to you, and there's no price implication one way or the other, but you do need to choose the delivery day. And then when people ask will it definitely be delivered on Thursday, then it gets interesting. We use DPD for our deliveries and they're pretty good: we get about 98% delivered right time. But not 100%, even with the best will in the world. Sometimes the recipient is in the toilet and can't make it to the door in time, or on the phone and doesn't hear the doorbell, or things like that. So what we often recommend to customers is that if it's really really important that they have the lens on a certain day, they might want to consider building in an extra day or two at the start of the hire which doesn't cost much - to minimise the chances of disruption.

I hope you appreciate that this area can be complicated.

I'm afraid the bit about taking no responsibility for when the lens arrives doesn't sound quite right to me, and unfortunately none of my staff remember this particular aspect of the conversation. I think the answer you got here will have depended very strongly on how you asked the question. In a narrow, technical sense, once we've dispatched a lens it's out of our hands and we can't control when it's delivered. That doesn't mean we wash our hands of it, though. Some companies are happy to point the finger at their suppliers and subcontractors when something goes wrong, but we don't. After all, we choose our suppliers, and we accept responsibility for those choices. So if there is a problem with delivery, we will do our utmost to overcome it. We once put a camera on a bike to Durham (a 550 mile round trip), at a cost to us of around £300, to fulfil an order after DPD had had a problem. The week before last, one of my team met a customer at Gatwick Airport at utterly stupid o'clock in the morning to deliver an item after there had been a delivery problem. And a few weeks ago when the weather forecast said there would be disruptive snow, we pulled all our deliveries forward by a couple of days to get them into customers' hands before the bad weather struck. So we do our best, and at the end of the day, if a delivery goes wrong and we can't cook up a viable Plan B, then we offer customers a full refund at least. If you think that counts as not taking responsibility then I'm happy to agree to disagree.

Anyway I hope this addresses your questions and concerns. If you every feel like sending me (via PM) your phone number and email address, the offer is still there to look into what happened when you said you couldn't phone us and didn't get a reply to your email 2 months ago.

Many thanks for taking the time to look at this Stewart, much appreciated. I don't like naming names so I left it as the person I spoke to and will leave it there.

The question was a simple as if I wanted to use the lens Friday, Saturday and Sunday and return Monday how many days hire, I asked as I know some companies (not necessarily camera hire) charge for transit days and that's why I expected an easy answer and not an it's up to you.

I can imagine the show can be pretty stressful and I may have caught the person at a bad time, I know I wouldn't have the patience for it!

Anyway, all said you do come recommended and next break I get I will be looking to hire a couple of Cameras and Lenses to try so will drop you a PM in plenty of time with any questions.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Nod
I can imagine the show can be pretty stressful and I may have caught the person at a bad time, I know I wouldn't have the patience for it!
That's very gracious of you, Jase. Do get in touch if you need anything.

Back