Lens Hood

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

So I've been using my Nikon D3200 for about 2 or 3 months now; I have tried a range of 3 lenses, but what I haven't used to date is a lens hood. I believe I've got one for all 3 lenses, but I don't actually know what setting I should use them in?

From what I understand it's used to stop excessive light entering the camera; so does this mean I should use a lens hood when I'm out and about and it's very sunny?

Will it basically stop over exposure. or does it have another purpose?

Thanks

It shades the lens from light you don't want, basically.
Always use one, it helps protect the front element from damage as well.
You'll find that a hood will help increase contrast - generally a good thing!

Just make sure you fit them the correct way.

So I should use it in ALL situations? Not just outside or sunny days?

Does it have any adverse effects on the photographs?

Only "con" I can think of, off the top of my head is if you're using the on camera flash the hood can cause shadows. But then, so can a long lens even without using a hood, so it's not really a "con" to do with just using a hood.

Oh, and a hood not designed for the lens can sometimes cause vignetting. Like using a hood for a long lens on a small wide angle lens. It could also take up more space in your bag, but I just flip it round backwards on the lens when I put the camera away, no extra space taken up then and holds it in the bag a bit better.

Last edited:
you need to be using your lens hoods all the time. the lens hood is there for two reasons 1. to stop unwanted lens flare which affects colour and contrast and 2. to protect your lens.

So I should use it in ALL situations? Not just outside or sunny days?

Does it have any adverse effects on the photographs?

Yes. Always.
None.

:)

Hi Simon. To answer your question on over exposure . No it will not stop it. It can help with a more accurate reading.

I always use one, helps block out the unwanted light, protects the lens and in my opinion I like the look of them on my lenses :).

Thanks all. Ill begin using them all the time now!

How does it protect the lens, though?

Hi, I never use a camera without one.

Good luck doing landscapes with them haha.

Sometimes lens flare drives me mad! Having to use filters for my work

There are hoods available for square system filters.

Thanks all. Ill begin using them all the time now!

How does it protect the lens, though?

would have thought that was fairly obvious but hey ho....
using a lens hood reduces the chance of banging the front element on stuff

I spent 2-3 years using my camera with a UV filter to protect the front element and the lens hood reversed (not doing it's job).

It was only when I joined this site that I realised what a complete tool I'd been, ditched the UV filter and always use the lens hood, the result was much better photos!

If you want a practical demonstration of what a lens hood does, on a bright/sunny day, have you ever cupped your hands around your eyes to help you see things better? That's exactly what a lens hood is doing :)

would have thought that was fairly obvious but hey ho....
using a lens hood reduces the chance of banging the front element on stuff

Yes - there are so many times when I could have scratched the lens on things like bricks etc, but instead it's the hood that takes the damage, not the glass.
Very handy when walking on the streets with the lens cap off because when people bump into your camera they hit the hood, not scratch the glass.

A lens hood for me is just like a barrier for the glass.

Good luck doing landscapes with them haha

Hi, I've never had problems doing landscapes with the correct type of lens hood.

Maybe I'm missing your point but I don't see where the difficulty is. As Hoppy said you can get hoods for square filters if thats what you need to use.

Hi, I've never had problems doing landscapes with the correct type of lens hood.

Maybe I'm missing your point but I don't see where the difficulty is. As Hoppy said you can get hoods for square filters if thats what you need to use.

Your limited with the lenses you can use. Ya cant use a hood at wide angles.

Hi, Really ? That surprises me. Then maybe the correct hoods that I have and use with my wide angle lenses I should leave off then. Thanks for the tip.(y)

As I said, I've never had any problems.

I have a Sigma 10-20mm with a lens hood and that works.

You need a hood made for the lens, especially wide angle lenses but the petal style hoods work.

Hi, Really ? That surprises me. Then maybe the correct hoods that I have and use with my wide angle lenses I should leave off then. Thanks for the tip.(y)

As I said, I've never had any problems.

So your using that with filters? That surprises me also

Last edited:
I have a Sigma 10-20mm with a lens hood and that works.

You need a hood made for the lens, especially wide angle lenses but the petal style hoods work.

That hood wont work with nd filters though will it. That was the point

So your using that with filters? That surprises me also

Hi, Yes as I said they are the "Correct" hoods for the job. They work perfectly with wide angle lenses and filters.

That hood wont work with nd filters though will it. That was the point

You mean ND grads? Lee make very nice bellows hoods for 100mm square filters, including a wide-angle version, and Kood do a much cheaper one for P-type.

When I brought my Nikon D3100 and kit lens secondhand it did not come with the lens hood. Can I purchase one somewhere or use the one from my 55-200 Nikon zoom lens.

When I brought my Nikon D3100 and kit lens secondhand it did not come with the lens hood. Can I purchase one somewhere or use the one from my 55-200 Nikon zoom lens.

You must use the correct hood for the lens. It will have a reference number. Cheaper clones on e bay/Amazon.

If I want to use filters, I remove the hood, take the pictures and then replace the hood. :D

It's not rocket science! ;)

Heather

Back