Lens hoods - do I really need to use them?

I never take mine off except when cleaning the lens. The bayonets click off in no more than a second.
My bags were bought to fit the lenses with hoods attached and+or- camera.

There are people on these threads that have dropped a lens with the front end taking the full blow, luckly they had a lens hood on.

What would you prefer to replace a) £500 lens or b) £5-10 lens hood?.

I know peeps say but I don't intend to drop mine, neither did they but it happens. Also protects your lenses against accidently brushing up against objects.

Happened to me on holiday a few years back. I'm always very careful but distractions happen and the camera fell from waist height. The lens hood (on Tammy 17-50) took the brunt and split. Lens and Camera were un-damaged.

It answered the question for me.

You've been given a lot of good advice about lens hoods - but like a lot of people on TP you don't really want to know - so just carry on! Why ask for advice and then dismiss it?

Why are you being so unfriendly? :crying:

The link to this forum says 'no question is too silly in here'

Sometimes it is good to have a bit of debate and to hear other peoples views. Thanks to everyone that replied. I never considered the lens hood to be there for protection too and it seems to have saved a few scrapes for a lot of people.

Thanks for the advice. I have heeded it and will continue to use the hoods for the reasons given (y)

Why are you being so unfriendly? :crying:

The link to this forum says 'no question is too silly in here'

Sometimes it is good to have a bit of debate and to hear other peoples views. Thanks to everyone that replied. I never considered the lens hood to be there for protection too and it seems to have saved a few scrapes for a lot of people.

Thanks for the advice. I have heeded it and will continue to use the hoods for the reasons given (y)

Don't take it personally John. He's always like that ;)

Not at all unfriendly - but I get fed up when people ask for advice - get good advice from people with years of experience - including me - and then appear just to dismiss it! Why should I/we bother?

Not at all unfriendly - but I get fed up when people ask for advice - get good advice from people with years of experience - including me - and then appear just to dismiss it! Why should I/we bother?

Chin up, it's just t'internet

Quite frankly - don't bother. It sounds like you are quite jaded. If you hang around the basics part of the forum then be prepared to answer basic questions and don't scare people off. On the internet we can be whoever we want -5000+ posts and a list of professional cameras in a profile is meaningless to me if you post with contempt for beginners. If that is the REAL you then please share your experience politely and be prepared for questions and people who generally question conventional wisdom. I am not trying to be annoying - I'm an engineer and its in my makeup to question question question. Please just respect the people who take the time to ask questions and don't view us with contempt. My nature is to question things until I am happy with the answers I am getting. In our office at work we debate things every day without falling out. I've been chuffed to bits with the answers people have given me to my questions so far on this forum but this has knocked me for six.....

You've done nothing wrong Mr Pie, but as Hoppy said, that's just the way our AWP is.

I post to help people that actualy want help - but I won't be posting in any of your threads in future!

Back