Lens Misting

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
A Merry Christmas to all,
I have attached an image showing the lens problem in question. There seems to be a quite a bit of misting / spotting that develops on the inside of the lens when the lens is exposed to temperature changes and dry to damp conditions outside. Can anyone offer any guidance etc as to why this might be happening and any options for a way forward to rectify. All the best and thank you.

Attachments

• IMG-20231225-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20231225-WA0002.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 72
Looks like bloom (fungus) to me.

I'd get it professionally cleaned / serviced.

Might be beyond economical repair though.

yes sure, thank you. It was kind of what I was thinking, but thought it was ideal to ask in this forum.

Are you taking the lens from a cold environment to a warm environment? It could be condensation. You have to let the lens gradually warm up. (Edited)

Last edited:
Yes that’s it exactly. I wondered if the lens had any seals that may have perished and letting dampness inside?

Get silica sachets and place together with the lens in a plastic bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible and seal the bag. Leave for a few weeks . Worked on my camera rear screen

The pattern and appearance does come across as something more significant than thermal change condensation.............is what you show in the photo, as seen when the lens is at room temperature?

On the surmise that it is fungus, I wonder whether any repairer will entertain what looks like a very costly repair....... especially as MPB list a like new one @£154

Furthermore, I would be concerned about fungal spores in the camera body & camera bag that could 'infect(?)' any other lenses?

Might be a good idea to keep silica sachets in where you keep your camera gear. My Peli cases are littered with them

Last edited:
Thank you indeed for all the replies. Really much appreciated.
The issue with the lens subsides when up to an ambient and warmer temps. I will certainly keep a check on the rest of my kit and may well be worth a clean down on the camera case and I will invest in some silica sachets. :)

Might be a good idea to keep silica sachets in where you keep your camera gear. My Peli cases are littered with them

Thank you indeed for all the replies. Really much appreciated.
The issue with the lens subsides when up to an ambient and warmer temps. I will certainly keep a check on the rest of my kit and may well be worth a clean down on the camera case and I will invest in some silica sachets. :)
Silica sachets have a role.....afteral a lot of electronic gear come with them when brand new to absorb any initial moisture.

Therefore don't assume any that you have left over from such boxes are still any good at absorbing moisture.

You can buy them 'fresh' and in versions that can be reactivated by heat.

PS I am none too sure whether the 'disposable' ones in new gear boxes can be reactivated???

Last edited:
Silica kitty litter is the same thing but comes in big bags in Home Bargains. Put it on a baking tray and put it in an oven for an hour or so at up to 140 degrees C (no more) to drive off any moisture it contains before use.

Stick it in a cotton bag to contain any dust. Then put the bag in to a sealed container with the lens (minus base cap).

It would be nice if someone made ventilated camera and lens caps that keep out dust but still let any residual moisture out.

Back