Lens opinions

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

Im looking at a few lenses currently, that hopefully ill be able to buy some time early next year (or maybe late this year).

So far:

Canon 100-400L : Obviously a top notch lens, but the better part of a grand for the pleasure. I dont need any persuading about how good it is though.
Sigma 80-400 EX /w OS: This is the one id really like to hear about, as it can be had for around £600 and is meant to be as good optically as much more expensive glass. The OS means hand holding will be a doddle, which is a huge plus for me as i have no intention of carrying a Tripod around as well.
Bigma, Sigma 50-500mm. Now this is where things get interesting. I want to be able to hand hold, but this lens is BIG. I have read of a lot of people hand holding this lens though.
How realistic do you think it is to use the BIGMA without any support? And what do you guys think of the Sigma 80-400?

The type of lens im looking for is the sort i can use for a whole range of applications, and that would rarely leave my camera.
Dont worry about wide angle/short focal length as ill address that seperately :)

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Cheers,

The Bigma is very heavy - 1.8kg, so you will stuggle to hand hold it. If you do go for it then make sure you get the new HSM version as this has much improved focus speed :)

I spent a lot of time looking around and reading opinions before I jumped in and got the 100-400L. It just seemed to me that when people get into that style of lens they keep buying and selling trying different things until they end up with the 100-400L.

I considered the Sigma but could see me ending up like others I had read about wishing they had the 100-400. Consequently I just went for it. Wish I could say I have given it a decent work out but so far I have not had a chance. I took it to the only airshow to be cancelled at Duxford this year. Not been out with it since.

I bought mine from Kerso who imports from the USA to scotland and delivers from there. £875 delivered. (I have contact details if wanted)

I have a cheap 1.4 Tamron telecon (which does not indicate its presence to the camera) and when I tested it with the 100-400 yesterday the AF worked as fast as it does without it. Doubt the image quality is as good as a canon 1.4 but it was a big step up on just cropping the picture and the AF still works :).

RobertP said:
I took it to the only airshow to be cancelled at Duxford this year.

Dont know if you checked out Duxford website, if you went on Sept 11 you can get reduced entry next weekend to the last show of the year !

I may toodle along to that one myself :)

I ended up with a 100-400L for the same reasons ;)

RobertP said:
I spent a lot of time looking around and reading opinions before I jumped in and got the 100-400L. It just seemed to me that when people get into that style of lens they keep buying and selling trying different things until they end up with the 100-400L.

I considered the Sigma but could see me ending up like others I had read about wishing they had the 100-400. Consequently I just went for it. Wish I could say I have given it a decent work out but so far I have not had a chance. I took it to the only airshow to be cancelled at Duxford this year. Not been out with it since.

I bought mine from Kerso who imports from the USA to scotland and delivers from there. £875 delivered. (I have contact details if wanted)

I have a cheap 1.4 Tamron telecon (which does not indicate its presence to the camera) and when I tested it with the 100-400 yesterday the AF worked as fast as it does without it. Doubt the image quality is as good as a canon 1.4 but it was a big step up on just cropping the picture and the AF still works :).

Definately see where you are coming from on that. You Get what you pay for afterall. Its still only a few hundred quid over the Sigma.
Contact details for that price would be appreciated please, although i wont be making use of them in the near future, probably early next year.

Thanks!

IanC_UK said:
Dont know if you checked out Duxford website, if you went on Sept 11 you can get reduced entry next weekend to the last show of the year !

I may toodle along to that one myself :)

I ended up with a 100-400L for the same reasons ;)

I have two £5 vouchers here waiting. Thought they may have been a little more generous than that but I suppose its better than nothing ;)

Rich said:
Canon 100-400L : Obviously a top notch lens, but the better part of a grand for the pleasure. I dont need any persuading about how good it is though.

I agree with you, this is a seriously good zoom lens.
I use it often and can't say enough about it optically ( for a big zoom ).
You don't need persauding how good it is so here is the down side.
It's a push/pull zoom which some hate and some don't mind.
Because of the push/pull system dust is an issue. I have noticed that my CMOS sensor needs to be cleaned more often when using the 100-400L.
For me that's not a big deal but for some cleaning the sensor regularly is daunting.
If you're one of the later it's worth bearing in mind.

Cameron

Rich said:
I like push pull style lenses, but i dont like the sound of all that dust. It cant be good for the camera overall, let alone just the sensor.
This makes me start thinking about the 80-400 EX again. Hmmm :LOL:

Rich, don't get the idea that you have to clean the sensor after every use of the 100-400.
It's just that this lens, by it's nature, will allow more dust to settle on the sensor.
At a guess, and obviously this depends on how often you use this lens, I would guess at a 5% increase in dust. ( Before anyone shouts at me this is purely a best guestimate ). It might be more, it might be less, but there is an incease in dust on the sensor.

Cameron

Have to say i havent noticed an increase in dust since having the 100-400?

I have only cleaned my sensor once since i had the camera, taken 6000 pics with it so far, had the 100-400 since June, and the only time i had to clean was my stupid fault for changing lenses in a dusty field during my ex's little boys birthday quadbiking party on a hot july day! lol

I had dust after using the 100-400 at an airshow - its first outing. Not much just a fibre and a few specks but enough.

I've read many comments about dust and the 100-400, majority say there is no dust problem. Minority which includes my experience has seen it. I don't worry about fitting the 100-400 to my camera for a moment. Dust problems are easy to solve.

Back